Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Site design using subfolders?

Options
  • 11-07-2007 7:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭

I see alot of sites are now using subfolders instead of having all the html pages in one folder.

Eg. Instead of using domain.com/index.htm it is just going to domain.com/index/
    or Instead of using domain.com/name.htm it is just going to domain.com/name/

Anyone know basically how this is done. It looks like a good way of organising things.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

It doesn't necessarily have to be subfolders either, they could just be using mod_rewrite or .htaccess to guide you to the approprate page.

But anyway, basically just sticking a folder with an index.* file on it should do the trick for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

Also some CMS/blog tools do this, I know both drupal and wordpress do it anyway, I'm sure there's loads of others that do it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭jlang

It's a good system. Means that links and bookmarks don't break when you upgrade your CMS and the default extension changes from .html to .php or .asp or .cgi or .pl or whatever's the style next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

It's straight forward with directory indexes, or using the default directory index such as index.html etc.

It's also important to not link directly to index.html if you are using that method.

Or just get down and dirty with mod_rewrite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭vox

Thanks for all the info. I might attempt it with my next site. BTW Zabbo what do you mean about not linking directly to index.html?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

vox wrote:
    Thanks for all the info. I might attempt it with my next site. BTW Zabbo what do you mean about not linking directly to index.html?
    Just link to the directory instead

.ie link to www.site.com/folder and not www.site.com/folder/index.html

Advertisement