Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Question re Engine Management System

Options
  • 11-07-2007 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

Engine management system warning light came on this evening on the way home.
    Can I drive it for a few days before I get it checked, or does it require attention urgently?

2003 Audi A4 1.9 tdi with 44k (miles) on it.

enginemanagementsystem.JPG

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

This could mean one of a number of faults. Impossible to diagnose - especially as you don't appear to have any running problems. It could be nothing, but then again it could be something that needs to be addressed. Best off to have the fault memory checked - just to be sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 dontu8that

If the light blinks you need to get it towed, do not drive it.

If the light is on all the time, it's ok to drive it, but as said, get it checked out.

Check that the fuel cap is tight and you hear a click.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭richie_rvf

dontu8that wrote:
    Check that the fuel cap is tight and you hear a click.

Also check the oil filler cap is seated correctly.

This could have been caused by any number of things, it may go out of its own accord also.

You need a code reader to see what fault triggered it.

Do you notice any difference in how the car drives/performs/starts?

Richie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

TBH I would be getting it checked out on a diagnostic machine as soons as possible. Some problems can be small issues that turn into big issues if left fester.
    It might be something simple along the lines of what other posters have suggested, it also maybe a fault that simply needs to be cleared but I'd still play cautious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Don't stress about it. When it's orange it is only a minor fault, still get it checked whenever you get a chance, if it turns red then there is trouble

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭shamalive

Cheers for the replies.

Turned out to be a heat sensor, garage put new part in,
    checked it over and cleared all faults. Covered by guarantee as well.

Nice one to Autoplatz in tipperary, good crowd to deal with for aftersales service.

Advertisement