Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Child knocked down in Charlesland

Options
  • 11-07-2007 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭

A child was knocked down by a car tonight on the road just outside the Fairways. From what I seen there was a team of medics around the child covering his head with bandages and there was a red car with a hole in the windscreen. It looks like the child was seriously injured.
    Its maddening that people treat that dual carraigeway as though it were the M1, this is a residential estate...the road even has pedestrian crossings, when are these idiots going to get the message?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

If the council or whatever were any good, they'd have speed cameras or speed ramps in that area... if it is a dual carraigeway going through an estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

That is terrible. I hope the child was ok. That is a 50k zone up the whole road with the roundabouts but not once have I ever witnessed anyone going at that speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Hammiepeters

Maybe ramps would make a difference. I have kids. I'm sick of the speeders.

Wife saw accident.Spanish student apparently Looked bad. Anyone know any updates?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 farside290

I got off the bus behind the group of Spannish kids that got off the bus. The girl ran straight out by the bus in front of the car, the driver didn't have a chance and was not travelling at speed. I called the ambulance which arrived pretty quickly although it felt like an eternity after seeing the accident. Last update at 9.30 last night was that she had a suspected broken collar bone and was being sent for a scan to check for other injuries, so thankfully she will survive.
    Not a nice experiance for anyone involved

• Advertisement

Thank God for that. Very lucky to have been hit by a slow driver on that road. i'd say the chaces of of that up there would be 40-60. Expect speed traps in the coming weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

farside290 wrote:
    The girl ran straight out by the bus in front of the car, the driver didn't have a chance

Sounds like one of those backwards instincts things - left side of the road (Ireland) versus right side of the road (Spain). She probably looked to the left and thought she was safe crossing the road. How awful for both the kid and the driver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Marcais

Wineman wrote:
    A child was knocked down by a car tonight on the road just outside the Fairways. From what I seen there was a team of medics around the child covering his head with bandages and there was a red car with a hole in the windscreen. It looks like the child was seriously injured.
    Its maddening that people treat that dual carraigeway as though it were the M1, this is a residential estate...the road even has pedestrian crossings, when are these idiots going to get the message?

My neighbour saw this. I hope the child is okay? He thinks it was a young Spanish child. Any word?

The accident happened north of the roundabout into Charlesland where there should be a pedestrian crossing but there is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,939 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Marcais wrote:
    My neighbour saw this. I hope the child is okay? He thinks it was a young Spanish child. Any word?

The accident happened north of the roundabout into Charlesland where there should be a pedestrian crossing but there is not.

in fairness - there is a pedestrian crossing on the other side of the roundabout, but the road is not that busy and the sightlines are good. it sounds like the kid ran out without looking (or looking the wrong way).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 380 ✭✭future_plans

loyatemu wrote:
    in fairness - there is a pedestrian crossing on the other side of the roundabout, but the road is not that busy and the sightlines are good. it sounds like the kid ran out without looking (or looking the wrong way).

True, but that road will be a lot busier when the Kilpedder Interchange is completed. I think more has to be done to cut the speed at that junction. Sometimes cars fly through it without even slowing down much. I know speed may not have been a factor yesterday, but there are kids around. Pedestrian crossings and speed bumps on both sides of that junction would be welcome in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,939 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

an extra pedestrian crossing maybe, but speed bumps aren't really appropriate on a main road.

In the case of yesterdays accident the girl could have stayed on the bus until it had gone round the roundabout and then she wouldn't have needed to cross the road at all.

Sorry Loya' but I don't think that any new comer to Charlesland, let alone a young spanish student would appreciate that a bus dips in and out of a housing estate with a dual carriageway.
    I think the previous post was right saying that she probably tried to cross where the median is, and looked the wrong way out of habit.

These kids are very young and probably have pretty sheltered lives back home, they may not have been out much before coming over here.

It does upset me to see the young spanish students swarming across the road outside Greystones Dart Station and directly after the accident I drove into Bray with the kids, and had to toot a couple of times to get a young one to walk off the road and and back onto the kerb so I could pull up.

Maybe someone is selling them the idea that Ireland is still a John Hynde postcard with Gypsy caravans meandering along country lanes while red headed smiling children wave at the passing tourists.
    It certainly isnt something they would be used to at home, Cars fly along the roads in Spain where we go.

I am so glad to hear she is okay. I really felt for her parents last night, being so far away and hearing that she had been hurt.
    I also felt for the motorist. And since they were doing the right speed, the impact wasnt as bad as it could have been. It has certainly reminded me to watch the speed. An extra 10 k an hour can turn an unfortunate accident into a fatality.

Well done to all the people who stopped to help too. xx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 D2

The dual carriageway, like the spine road, are private roads in the ownership of Zapi Properties Ltd.

While both are ultimately to be taken in charge by the Council, traffic management on these roads currently lies with Zapi, made up principally of Mountbrook Homes and Ballymore Properties.

People may wish to contact them directly in relation to this matter to determine what, if any, measures they have planned to improve traffic management and safety:

Ballymore Properties. Tel 01 6259100 / Email info@ballymoreproperties.ie
    Mountbrook Homes. Tel 01 6110300 / Email sd@mountbrookhomes.ie (as per phone book)

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Mullie

Terrible news, good to hear she's relatively ok. I see there was talk of introducing new pedestrian crossings in the above posts.
    I'd just like to point out that if pedestrian crossings are placed within the estate that they will only work if they have traffic lights. The two pedestrian crossings, on the ramps at the start of the estate, are almost useless. In my experience I'd estimate that approx 10% of vehicles actually stop to let pedestrians cross. To be honest, stopping is becoming a risk in itself because the cars tend to fly up the other lane without being aware there is someone crossing.
    I plan to bring this up at the next meeting. More obvious signage is required. Saying that, if people did take notice they'd see the ones already there.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Sparks115

Mullie wrote:
    Terrible news, good to hear she's relatively ok. I see there was talk of introducing new pedestrian crossings in the above posts.
    I'd just like to point out that if pedestrian crossings are placed within the estate that they will only work if they have traffic lights. The two pedestrian crossings, on the ramps at the start of the estate, are almost useless. In my experience I'd estimate that approx 10% of vehicles actually stop to let pedestrians cross. To be honest, stopping is becoming a risk in itself because the cars tend to fly up the other lane without being aware there is someone crossing.
    I plan to bring this up at the next meeting. More obvious signage is required. Saying that, if people did take notice they'd see the ones already there.

I rang Ballymore about new pedestrian crossing s and they said to contact our local residents committee and WYSE regarding the situation and they would have to put it foward to Zapi. She was very friendly and understanding and said it should be brought to their attention immediately if the residents are concerned. So if anyone is from Charlesland Grove/Park/Wood/Court the Fairways and the Cresent residents committees can you see this is brought up as a point of importance at the next meeting.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

D2 wrote:
    The dual carriageway, like the spine road, are private roads in the ownership of Zapi Properties Ltd.

While both are ultimately to be taken in charge by the Council, traffic management on these roads currently lies with Zapi, made up principally of Mountbrook Homes and Ballymore Properties.

That's interesting - I thought it was public, as I saw the Gardai doing speed checks on the spine road over a year ago. If they can do that on private roads, then at least there's a chance of enforcement - even if it looks like speed or driver error was not a factor in this case.
    INCH wrote:
    . So if anyone is from Charlesland Grove/Park/Wood/Court the Fairways and the Cresent residents committees can you see this is brought up as a point of importance at the next meeting.

Thanks

Inch, are you not on the Grove committee yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Tomato

Apparantly statistics show you can sustain serious injury or stand a good chance of being killed if hit by a car at as little as 30 mph. We will need a major review of speed limit on that road to work to prevent any further accidents...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

The speed limit on that road is 50kph, LESS than 30mph. Although given the speed I was passed by at last night by a dark blue Golf clearly not everyone knows it!

I don't believe for a second that the speed limit needs to be reviewed on the SAR, it needs to be enforced.

The speed limit on that road is 50kph, LESS than 30mph. Although given the speed I was passed by at last night by a dark blue Golf clearly not everyone knows it!

I don't believe for a second that the speed limit needs to be reviewed on the SAR, it needs to be enforced.
    Yes I think I know the one. Little yuppie with a penis size issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 scivvy

Outside the library in Greystones is another place where people get confused about crossing. The council have been asked again and again about putting some type of pedestrian crossing there but they don't seem to be bothered. I hope they're not waiting for someone to get killed there before they act on this.!!

• Advertisement

Snap! I had a very close call with a couple of Spanish students not looking at all, exactly there the other day! Maybe they should put up a yellow warning sign. Like the ones we have at home for Kangaroos crossing.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 barkingmad

Does anyone know if the girl is ok? I hope so, as I haven't seen anything in the papers (which I'm sure is a good thing).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭jb91

scivvy wrote:
    Outside the library in Greystones is another place where people get confused about crossing. The council have been asked again and again about putting some type of pedestrian crossing there but they don't seem to be bothered. I hope they're not waiting for someone to get killed there before they act on this.!!
    The way the flowerbeds are placed around the speed bump and the way it's paved make it look like it's designed to be a pedestrian crossing :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Sparks115

eoin_s wrote:
    That's interesting - I thought it was public, as I saw the Gardai doing speed checks on the spine road over a year ago. If they can do that on private roads, then at least there's a chance of enforcement - even if it looks like speed or driver error was not a factor in this case.

Inch, are you not on the Grove committee yourself?

Hi Eoin, No I am not a member of the committee...not brave enough to take the crap they get.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭IANAL (hullaballoo's test a/c)

Every single year since I was a small boy, I have memories of some young Spanish kid (or other) getting run over by a car. I wonder if Spanish cars drive much slower through residential estates, or if these kids have never been taught how to cross the road?

Edit: incidentally, in terms of crossing in Greystones at the library, it's not a pedestrian crossing at all, but it is supposed to be a ramp. If you are crossing the road in Greystones, it's easy enough, but you would be expected to use a bit of common-sense in doing so. I can't imagine a situation where you would be able to walk straight across any road without looking. If there were such a magical road, I'm sure it would be coated with sugar and candy; maybe even other confectionaries that I have not mentioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 scivvy

IANAL wrote:
    Every single year since I was a small boy, I have memories of some young Spanish kid (or other) getting run over by a car. I wonder if Spanish cars drive much slower through residential estates, or if these kids have never been taught how to cross the road?

Edit: incidentally, in terms of crossing in Greystones at the library, it's not a pedestrian crossing at all, but it is supposed to be a ramp. If you are crossing the road in Greystones, it's easy enough, but you would be expected to use a bit of common-sense in doing so. I can't imagine a situation where you would be able to walk straight across any road without looking. If there were such a magical road, I'm sure it would be coated with sugar and candy; maybe even other confectionaries that I have not mentioned.

It's not as easy as you think to cross at the library. Try doing it with 4 small kids . The volume of traffic has increased alot over the years in Greystones so it's quite busy there at times. Of course we use common sense when crossing but common sense also tells me that a pedestrian crossing should be put there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

As discussed in this thread the works for the parking in the village will put in a ped. crossing outside the newsagents. Hope this satisfies the Village concerns....next...

The signs at the ramps at the roundabouts at Superquinn have a symbol with a guy walking across and a ramp below...I would usually stop for people crossing here....but I reckon flashing amber beacons may help...not sure if the duplex people in the first block would like it though!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

Advertisement