Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help With Parts Building Gaming/Media PC!

Options
  • 11-07-2007 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭

Hey,

So i ruined my brothers computer (coffee accident) and he had to get new parts so we got the new parts today and now he is going to order a hard-drive and PSU because everything is covered on house insurance thank god.

Anyway there are a few parts that we can use to build a computer so decided that we may aswell build a family computer for gaming (which is what i will be using it for) and also media eg. video editing.

We have a PSU and a 250GB HDD and also the graphics card so we need everything else. The PSU is made by hiper and the graphics card is a sapphire x1950 pro also have decided on the CPU which will be a intel dual core e2160 processor. Will also get the 2GB ballistic ram which costs 60pound at overclockers.co.uk . Everything else we have not decided on what to get and i won't be needing a monitor but will need keyboard and mouse.

Was just wondering could people recommend parts for me so i could order this asap. I am looking to spend this amount on each item:

Motherboard - 120
    Case - 80
    Keyboard + Mouse - 50
    DVD RW - 30

These are just estimates but might go a bit overboard. We have a heatsink that should work so won't bother getting a new heatsink. Also we have a dual core 4400+ processor which we won't bother using in computer instead we will get the intel e2160 processor.

I would appreciate if people could post links to the parts and also make sure the processor and graphics card will work with motherboard.

Thanks,
    WarZoneBrother

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,757 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

You X2 4400+ pwns the E2160 (if you overclock its a different story, but based on your post it seems unlikely you will)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

ahh i dont know much about pc's tbh but my brother does and he chose the e2160 over the x2 4400...my brother says when its over clocked it kicks the 4400's ass so thats what i will get him to do..he has the abit ip 35e so should i get that aswell?..all i really need to sort out is the ram and keyboard and mouse..

here is the case that i have chosen:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-065-AN

it looks kick ass to me..my brother got the crucial ballistix with his parts but i can not seem to find them for the 60pound he said he got them for so can someone recommend me a different ram make..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

ahh i dont know much about pc's tbh but my brother does and he chose the e2160 over the x2 4400...my brother says when its over clocked it kicks the 4400's ass so thats what i will get him to do..he has the abit ip 35e so should i get that aswell?..all i really need to sort out is the ram and keyboard and mouse..

here is the case that i have chosen:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-065-AN

it looks kick ass to me..my brother got the crucial ballistix with his parts but i can not seem to find them for the 60pound he said he got them for so can someone recommend me a different ram make..

nice case :D

yep the e2160 is unreal overclocked but ya must get a good mobo(p35) and ram do not cheat on ****ty value ram.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭declan_lgs

what ram would you recommend?? will the heatsink that comes with processor be alright or will i need a new one...if i need a new one i can just use my brothers old one..

i know i am loving thar case lmao..damn sorry wrong username this is warzonebrother

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

How come declan gets to be the brain? you do know this means you are insane :)

For the CPU cooler get the TR Ultra 120, or Ultra 120 extreme and get a decent 12cm fan to mount on it.

• Advertisement

L31mr0d wrote:
    How come declan gets to be the brain? you do know this means you are insane :)

For the CPU cooler get the TR Ultra 120, or Ultra 120 extreme and get a decent 12cm fan to mount on it.

brother has a heatsink and fan to cool cpu so i think i will use it instead..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

For RAM some DDR-2 800/PC6400 from Corsair or Crucial will do the trick needn't be anything fancy if your on a strict budget. If overclocking you'll end up using a divider anyway to get the RAM down to speed unless you buy some fancy stuff.

8T8 wrote:
    For RAM some DDR-2 800/PC6400 from Corsair or Crucial will do the trick needn't be anything fancy if your on a strict budget. If overclocking you'll end up using a divider anyway to get the RAM down to speed unless you buy some fancy stuff.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY-088-CR

that is probably the ram he got will it be alright?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY-088-CR

that is probably the ram he got will it be alright?

yeps it great ram it overlocks like mad!

Heres what I am thinking of getting:

Netgear WG111 54Mbps USB 2.0 Network Adapter
    Pioneer DVR-112DBK 18x18 DVD±RW Dual Layer ReWriter - (Black) OEM
    Intel Core 2 Duo E2160 "LGA775 Conroe" 1.80GHz (800FSB) - Retail
    Sapphire ATI Radeon X1950 Pro 512MB GDDR3 HDTV/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail
    Abit IP35-E (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard
    Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2x1GB) DDR2 PC2-5300C3 667MHz Dual Channel Kit (BL2KIT12864AA663)
    Logitech Cordless Desktop EX 110 - Retail
    Antec Nine Hundred Ultimate Gaming Case

Getting them all from overclockers.co.uk and the total price is 411.16pound which is like 600euros. Have a PSU but it's a hiper and I have heard that they are known to blow up on people.

Just on brothers computer which he has most of the parts listed and for some reason mozilla keeps closing and getting error reports non stop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Out of curiosity, what spec system did you have and how much did the insurance company give you? Parents had a similar incident a few weeks ago and we had no idea it was covered by contents/house insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Dacelonid

Similar story here, a short/fault in the PSU fried the mobo and was told I could claim off the insurance.
    We got a quote of how much it would cost to replace like with like basically (although because the comp that got fried was a piece of sh*t that actually involved getting newer parts)
    From talking to the guy in the comp repair shop he said that under a certain value the insurance guys don't even care what the claim is really and will pay out. But over a certain value they may ask to have the equipment inspected by one of their assessors.

From what I remember the procedure would be to bring the gear into a shop and get a stamped (very important, the repair quote has to have the stamp from the shop.) estimate for repairs / replacement of parts and then submit that with a claim form to your insurance company.
    Of course if you ring the insurance company they will tell you all that any way. Then once you have your cheque buy the equipment you need from the net and get even better value for money.

As I said it doesn't matter the spec of the machine, only the cost to replace / repair things, and also that the estimate comes from a shop. Also be aware that damage due to specific causes may not be covered under your insurance. Check with the insurance company, before you send in a quote, to make sure you are covered.

Advertisement