Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leveling concrete floor

Options
  • 11-07-2007 9:52pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 186 ✭✭

Hi,

I have a concrete floor in my kitchen that needs leveling. Was going to get some self leveling compound, but the problem is there's some old vinyl on the floor that just won't come up no matter what I try. I can get it up with a paint scrapper, but would take me weeks to do.

So was wondering, could I use the self leveling compound over the old vinyl? Or does anybody have any other suggestions to level the floor? Want to put down laminate, but it needs a good level surface to go on.

thanks,
    J

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,163 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Try a spade on the lino?
    I believe that self-leveling compound has a max thickness of approx 2mm (or as advertised), so if the lino is more than this, you'll need multi-layers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

you should'nt mutilayer / make up levels with self levilling compound unless you want to form an ice rink.

If you need to make up level you have to screed it with sand / cement especially if your tiling.

Selflevilling compund will not bond to itself properly and does allow movement which will crack tiles etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭anon1

Check with your local tool hire shop to see if they do any device that would help

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 186 ✭✭jdpl28

And what should I buy? Is there many types of self leveling compound? Where could I buy it?

thanks,
    J

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

depends on how off level the floor is, is it bad? U can level around an inch of floor in one "sitting"
    Spade the lino though as said, compound will not bind to it

• Advertisement

It's not great. Could need up to half an inch in places anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

When you say its a 1/2' out, does that mean that it slopes that much or there are chunks out of the floor?
    Whats under the lino?
    If its cement It should be pretty level already...?

It's both sloping and got chuncks out of it. Its not great at all. But it's the sloping thats stopping me putting laminate on top of it. The laminate just doesn't snap closed properly. And I'd say some of it would have to be built up by about 1/2 inch to make it flat enough for laminate.

Advertisement