Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you remember.......

Options
  • 11-07-2007 9:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭

Your first kill?

I don't remember mine but I remember my first shot fox.....

I was sitting in my car in a dirt track having walked about four miles with my .22lr having only banged a few rabbits. My flask came out and the aroma of coffee hit my nostrils, the coffee was poured and I sparked up a smoke. I was just looking idily about the land next to me when a fox ambled out about eighty yards from me, sniffing the ditch as he walked.....

I stiffened, spat the smoke out into the passenger side of my car, spilt my coffee as I tried to put it down, without taking my eyes of ole foxy. Gently reached for the .22 and edged the window down further and slowly poked the barrel out.....

Ole foxy still had not sussed me as I peered through the scope trembling slighly dropping the cross hairs down to the chest area. He was now about sixty yards from me when I squeezed the trigger. A piercing crack sounded as I unleashed a CCI Stinger into his chest.

He dropped immediately and never moved again..... His tail is still a trophy I kept....

TJ911...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Sure do.
    A Christmas shoot in Germany 25 years ago.He was beaten out of a reed enclosed pond.Along with two deer. He crossed about 25 meters from left to right in front of me across a harvested winter cabbage field.A load of bb shot hit him from the left barrel,but he kept on going for another 40 meters,even when I had reloaded with ooo buck anf hit him again,as the right barrel was slug loaded.He made it to the next field line and dropped dead on the bounday.In the meanwhile everyone else had missed the two deer and everything else as well that day.I shot a hare as well on that day,and that made me "jagd konig" [king of the hunt]for the day.With that title in Germany you end up buying the grub and drinks for the beaters and fellow shooters!Quite a cash outlay post Xmas for a 16 year old!:eek: :(
    His pelt still graces my trophy room.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

i remember my first kill. i was 12 and i used a bruno .22 on a rabbit. it was a head shot but i cant remember what disatance it was. i never got to keep the trophy but i always remember the rabbit stew that my grandmother made for me out of it.! i still have the pictures though

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

First ever kill was a mallard duck in mid September when I was 17. About 7 years ago at this stage.

It was a very mild day on lower lough derg and myself and the brother were out walking the shore. I had taken the day off school to go hunting as I had only gotten my shotgun license that summer. The water was very still, the wind slight (which didn't help us trying to skulk along the shore line undetected) and the sky was clear of cloud.

We were approaching a little feeding bay where we had spotted duck many times. Keeping low we used a reed bed as an obstacle to prevent them seeing us. We got as close as we could, stood up and off they took. Several mallard took flight but I focused on one and let the bird out a little for a more sporting shot (read new shooter took a long time to shoulder the gun) fired once and saw my target spiral into the glass topped lake.

Of course then I had to claim my prize as we had not brought a dog with us. There and then I stripped off, while my brother gave me no support what so ever and I had to swim the 40 yards out in the icy September waters and play fetch. Got back to shore and with numb fingers and toes struggled back into my clothes. The joy of my first successful hunt kept me warm though and so did the duck dinner I had.

Let it be noted this is not the last time I have played the role of retriever. The first goose my brother ever shot was some hunt and I had to go swimming for that as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Being mostly a vermin shooter myself, my first was a greycrow out of a tree with the Baikal, used a 3.5 inch BB load, got his mate just after that but the sod fell into a river!

My first fox was on my own farm. He was mooching around a hilock near a big rock. I was so nervous I couldn't hold the rifle steady. Had to go prone, no bipod so left the underside of the Tikka just ahead of the magazine on the top of a small hill and had both hands trying to steady things up. 70 yards and an Accutip later there was my first fox.

He'd been eating a dead badger, so if anyone tells you nothing will eat them they're wrong (greycrows and magpies will also eat them, I've seen them do this from roadkill).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Banjax

I think it was pigeon and crows over some new sown oats, when I was about 10 I think, with my uncle.

• Advertisement
Advertisement