Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cosmic Microwave Background

Options
  • 11-07-2007 9:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭

This [CMB] and Inflation Theory are beginning to puzzle me. Firstly, what exactly caused the CMB - was it created when matter collided with antimatter?

Also, how does the fact the the CMB is not uniform in the sky aid the Big Bang theory?

Kevin.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Grayarea

Kevster wrote:
    This [CMB] and Inflation Theory are beginning to puzzle me. Firstly, what exactly caused the CMB - was it created when matter collided with antimatter?

Also, how does the fact the the CMB is not uniform in the sky aid the Big Bang theory?

Kevin.

Some interesting questions there!

CMB is the universe as it existed at the earliest time visable to us. It is the atomic elements from the expansion period that we see very very very red shifted and appears to us as microwave radiation.

The fact that the CMB is not uniform means that the theories relateing to early star formation are correct, as the mesurments reflect a very good fit to the theory.

Later,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Grayarea wrote:
    CMB is the universe as it existed at the earliest time visable to us. It is the atomic elements from the expansion period that we see very very very red shifted and appears to us as microwave radiation.

Yes, I know that but what caused this radiation to be emitted? Was it created when matter collided with anti-matter? Was it created when the Grand Unification Epoch ended?

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Grayarea

Kevster wrote:
    Yes, I know that but what caused this radiation to be emitted? Was it created when matter collided with anti-matter? Was it created when the Grand Unification Epoch ended?

CMB is the universe as it was after the expansion phase. It appears as microwave as it is receding from us very quickly and is red shifted because of this.

I don't know what you are refering to by "radiation to be emitted". CMB is not radiation it is redshifted light (lets not split hairs here about what radiation is, in this context I read the OP context to mean hard radiation).

Later,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

right, on the topic of cosmic Background radiation, I was readin an article about Tesla and it claimed that he ad been workin on a system that would harness this energy much in the same way that we now harness solar power.

so anyone ou there know anything about this?

Advertisement