Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Urgent advice needed (stray cat)

Options
  • 11-07-2007 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭

Need urgent advice from anyone who knows about cats. I'll start by saying I've never been a fan of cats but my son has taken to a stray in our neighbourhood and I have to say she is lovely.

We started feeding her and left a box outside for her to sleep in with a blanket. She comes and goes as she pleases leaving in the morning and comes back in the evening for food and to sleep.

I heard one of the neighbours (1/4 mile away) was missing a cat so I called up to see if it was theirs. Turns out it is and she is pregnant (about to give birth). The neighbour called down and took the cat. My son was very upset but she came back 30mins later!!

The problem is she is about to give birth and we are gone to work all day. Can a stray give birth outside or should she come into the house? We were thinking of dropping her over to the neighbour again if she gives birth but don't know what to do.

We feel so guilty leaving her outside but do not want to have a cat in the house.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Not alot you can do if you don't want the cat in the house. It is not an ideal situation to have the cat give birth outside but I have known plenty that have done so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Ruu wrote:
    Not alot you can do if you don't want the cat in the house. It is not an ideal situation to have the cat give birth outside but I have known plenty that have done so.

Thanks Ruu. What can we do? She keeps coming back to us and I feel so bad. We could possibly set her up with a bed in the utility but were gone all day (fine till she gives birth). Plus were moving to Australia in December so it's a really bad time for my son to adpot a pet :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

Our cat used to visit our nieighbours a few houses up unknown to us. They'd feed her when she visited but she always came back home again. She had her kittens under a bush in their garden. We think it was because she felt safer there. The bush was so thick there was no way anyone was getting near those kittens let alone finding them. When they were born she stayed with them for about 24 hours then came home because she was hungry. We tried to follow her back to wherever the kittens were but she led us on a wild goose chase. Finally two days later, when she was good and ready, she let us follow her to them and put them in a basket and carry them home. She was perfectly happy in the kitchen with them after that. I'd say the cat that has recently started visiting you is keeping her eye on a quiet spot in your garden to give birth in and hide her newborns for a day or two. She'll go home when she's ready. Just let her owners know if the kittens do arrive in your garden. Don't go near them until she's ready or she may hide them somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Irish-Lass

have you got a shed in your garden that you could perhaps open up a little and make a corner for her where she could have the babies. Maybe get a decent size kennel and put a bed in the back of it for her, I am sure she would appreciate it, you maybe able to get one in the Buy & Sell or freecycle or jumbletown.

Cats are normally very good mothers and you won't have to do anything with the kittens as mammy will look after them fully. Unless you know where they are when they are born you probably won't see them until they are about 4 weeks or unless she brings them to you. As she is pregnant I would leave extra food out for her and also make sure she has something to drink. When she is nursing the kittens you may have to put the food closer to her as they don't normally wander too far from the kittens.

She clearly has taken a shine to your son and your house, guess she has picked you :D

We had a cat give birthday to 4 kittens in our house on the 11th May and it was her first (and last) litter and she did great.

Thanks for the replies.

The box we have left out is kind of a porch and as such is sheltered. I'm afraid we have no shed. We were actually this weekend going to buy her a kennel type thing but when we found out she actually belonged to one of the neighbours we decided against it.

We will call around and have another chat with the neighbour tonight. don’t want her to think were stealing her cat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Irish-Lass

you might also approach the subject of getting her spayed after she has had the kittens and the kittens are a few weeks old, she will have a much better quality of life and also she will benefit health wise, there is enough unwanted kittens in ireland without more

Irish-Lass wrote:
    you might also approach the subject of getting her spayed after she has had the kittens and the kittens are a few weeks old, she will have a much better quality of life and also she will benefit health wise, there is enough unwanted kittens in ireland without more

Yeah the neighbor mentioned she might get that done. Cat is only a year old and already has had kittens before (this will be her second litter).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Funnily enough OP, we only ever had one cat that had kittens (rest were spayed) and she disappeared to give birth, wouldn't stay in the house. We were really worried but eventually found her in a neighbors shed with her kittens.

The kennel doesn't sound like a bad idea. She sounds like she prefers your house to your neighbors now anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

We have had the sme thing happen only the cat does not belong to anyone.
    She had the kittens in our shed and then eventually moved them into our house.
    It is clear that she has had some house training and it looks like someone moved and left her behind.

So it looks like I will have kittens to send to good homes soon enough cos
    despite what my kids think I am not keeping them.
    We have a Tom already and this cat and her 6 kittens makes 8 cats which is far to many.

They are between 6 and 7 weeks and have started eating kitten food and we are gradually soscaling them.

Advertisement