Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurant suggestion... beige food

• 11-07-2007 10:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭

Looking to go out for a meal with my wife's parents.

They are fussy eaters, so I'm looking for somewhere that serves beige food, but really good beige food. Typical irish.. steak yes, chicken yes, lamb yes, pork yes fish no etc etc. No pasta, no rice, potatoes yes.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

somewhere like shanahans or sixty6 depending on budget?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

shanahans is definetly over the budget. i like the look of the sixty6 menu, but the wife thinks it might not be beige enough.

Someone else suggeted Eliza Blues, I've never been there or even heard much about it. Any opinions?

the steak and chicken is pretty nice in sixty6 and it has some less beige stuff for the rest of you!

eliza blues I've only been to once and would describe as ok but average.

I thought as much about Eliza Blues.

there are so many options its hard to narrow them down. another nice place is fallon and byrnes, they have a similar menu to sixty6 with all the safe bets and some extra ones too.bor maybe a hotel place like the saddle room in the shelbourne (haven't tried there yet myself)

also there is cookes, which is standard enough fare.

• Advertisement

Looking again at the sixty6 menu, I think there's a problem with their website, when i go to the dinner menu I get what I am positive is the brunch menu...

Any help?

that isn't the dinner menu right enough.

mains from menupages: (this isn't complete either, think they are missing the 'specialities' list as the
    cornfed chicken isn't on here for a start)

http://www.menupages.ie/Restaurants/Brasserie_Sixty_6/Menu.aspx
    Crayfish Salad
    With wild peppery rocket, capers, apple, fries €15.95

Chargrilled Rainbow Trout, Sprout Salad
    Roast mediterranean vegetables, home made gribiche sauce €16.95

Sixty6 Monkfish
    With organic smoked salmon cream, roast baby vine tomatoes, wilted red chard, hash browns and salsa verde €21.00

Chargrilled Bluestripe Mahi-Mahi
    Crushed herb potatoes, pomegranate salsa €19.50

Grey Sea Salt and Jalapeno Pepper Prawns, Sourdough and Fries
    €17.95

Chargrilled lamb Rump
    With garlic and rosemary, roasted root vegetable and jus €17.50

Spaghetti and Meatballs
    With tomato ragout and parmesan €12.75

Pan Fried Veal Liver
    With balsamic roast onions, potato gnocchi €14.95

Grilled Rosemary veal Chop
    With roast granny smith, caroot puree with sauce gribiche and salsa verde €24.95

Ribe Eye Steak
    With oven roasted tomatoes and fries with bearnaise sauce and green peppercorn salsa €19.95

Cajun Sausage
    With mash of the day €11.75

Chive and Pork Sausage
    €11.75

Italian Sausage
    €11.75

Prawns
    With chilli, garlic, sordough and fries €16.95

Chargrilled Swordfish
    With crushed herb potato and caperberry salsa €18.50

Monkfish
    With organic smoked salmon cream and roast baby vine tomatoes €19.75

Rainbow Trout
    With sprout salad and herb potatoes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 308 ✭✭Oirthir

Everyone loves Rolys....right?

If that's off-budget, then Darwins on Aungier St has a good mix of beige and well, real food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Yeah - I'd go for Sixty6 too - they make a roast chicken any Irish Mammy would be proud of.

OK - we went to sixty6 last night, and all were (mostly) impressed.

Unfortunately two of our company (5 in total - an uncle added to the mammy and daddy) both ordered the ribeye well-done. Still it looked nice, but I wasn't interested in tasting.

My lovely wife had the bangers and mash, which I thought was about the best meal overall. Scallion mash was beautiful, tasted like it had equal proportion butter and potato.

I had a special - pork belly and lamb cutlets with courgettes stuffed with glazed cherries. Unfortunately I thought the pork was a bit dry and under seasoned. I don't really know how you make pork belly dry as there's so much fat, but there you go. Also the pairing of lamb cutlet and pork belly was odd to say the least, but it was a special, and therein lies the craziness.

On the starter front I had parma ham, with fig and goats cheese. Obviously the only part that required any skill was the fig, which was cooked nicely. Very tasty starter.

I skipped dessert because I was too full after the meat-fest, but others ordered a selection and all were very impressed.

I took advantage of the nice selection of dessert wines and ports and had a glass of black muscat instead, which hit the spot.

Somewhat surprising, I also had the nicest double espresso I ever remember having in Dublin. I noticed on the way out they have a nice 2-group Rancilio machine, but didn't notice what beans they use.

Overall went down well. If I went back, maybe I'd be a little wary of jumping in with a special, and instead go for the rotisserie chicken or mash.

About €50 a head in the end, which is good value.

• Advertisement

sounds like a good night, I've noticed there specials can be a bit off the wall and it is hard to pass up the standard items that are done well there, i've had the chicken, steak and sausage and mash a few times...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I'm the same - I find the chicken so good that it is hard to pass up. The lamb skewers are also the best in town (MUCH better than Venu). The Calamari is also great. The meatballs are so light and fluffy - I dunno how they do it!
    Meatloaf is also great.

The breakfasts/brunches in there are also worth a visit. The 'fry' comes all in its own frying pan! ... cue the dipping of the bread into the goo at the bottom :)

Advertisement