Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New System Post Problem

Options
  • 11-07-2007 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi all

Super fustrated! cannot get my new build to post!

Have Striker Extreme MB.

At first it powered up ok and I got to CPU INIT? on the rear lcd screen, so I checked the cpu installation again, all okay there.

Powered up again and now it immediately shuts down with DET DRAM on the post lcd screen?

I'm runnning Corsair XMS2 6400pro cl5, have checked this with ramguy as compatible with the MB, could it be default MB voltage cause the prob?

If so how can i change that if I can't get it to post?

Any and all help at this stage would be helpful

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭TonyM.

Try it with one stick of ram.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 RozDev

Tried it with one stick, different channels A1 then B1 then A2/B2 and all possible combinations of both single and dual stick.

the post message sees to alternate between CPU INIT and DET DRAM will have to rob some std 270 dimm ram out of a work pc to see if i can get it to boot on that.

Thanks anyway, any other suggestions?

You don't know of a site or forum that lists the LCD POST screen error messages and what they mean, i've googled everywhere and cannot find a definative list from ASUS.:( :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭TonyM.

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20061214040418890&SLanguage=en-us&page=1&board_id=1&model=Striker%20Extreme

CPU INIT is what is always displayed on the LCD Poster when the system is powered on, it is saying it "Initialized" the CPU, in other words it recognizes it's installed. That's normal.

Suggest you take the mobo out of the case and try it it might be making contact with the case or a backplate on your cooler might be touching are any of the caps bent ect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

I'd second that pull it from the case and remove everything bar the minimum needed to boot it, CPU, RAM, GPU then clear the CMOS and try powering on again.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

You should have the option of resetting the cmos with the jumper setting.
    Use the nearest bank near the cpu (just one stick) and try booting.
    From here you should then be able to change the mem voltage.
    Had to do the same for my board below to get it to boot.
    If the 1st bank doesn't work try the next one and so on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

cpu init = cpu initializeation

dram det = dram detected

Did you even RTFM ? As i installed one of these motherboards the other night and all the codes are in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 RozDev

Thanks for the responses guys.

I got fed up at 3am and phoned ASUS support in America on my mobile...yikes!
    It was a 50 minute conversation, but basically ASUS have said that the striker extreme currently doesn't support the QX6800 2.93ghz 8MB ram chipset!

Can you believe that!

They support the 4MB version of the chip but not the 8MB version yet.

I have had to nick a dual core chip out of my work pc and bring it home wit me tonight just to get the damm thing to post.

ASUS have e-mailed me a beta bios version, and im just about to upload and swap out the chips!!

Wish me luck:D :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Um... The qx6700 has 8mb of cache too. And i got that working on a striker with the out of the box bios....

Weird.

Advertisement