Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

People begging at ATMs

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

Never heard of a scanner "tripping out"
    It has happened... there's even a patent on the process...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

As far as I know, most photocopiers / printers are set up in a way that they can't copy or print legal tender. Something about the design of the notes trips a switch and you just get a blank page, at best. Some scanners too. Of course that might just be for USD, but I wouldn't bet on it.

In any case, its an offence to copy and try to pass off copies as legal tender whole notes. You can show partial notes in advertisements, or grossly outsized ones, but photocopying and trying to give fake notes to beggars will qualify you as a counterfeiter.

Its not nice to mess with the mint.

I made a few yesterday and they worked brilliantly. Of course one side is black white paper, but if you crumple the paper it looks real!.

I gave one to the gimp at the Clare Hall Tesco's junction, it went straight into his pocket!.

Nearly sh*t myself laughing so I plan on putting the next one on video and uploading it to youtube.com

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

Mairt wrote:
    I made a few yesterday and they worked brilliantly. Of course one side is black white paper, but if you crumple the paper it looks real!
    Well, its not all of them, as I said. Older ones especially should be able to do it without problem. Ones made after 2002, however, are a different story.

As for other consequences, well, good luck with that! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Demonique wrote:
    I threatened an underage Roma girl with calling the police if she didn't move on from the ATMs outside AIB on Grafton Street,
    You're a bully - if you feel guilty and you can't ignore them, that's your problem. I can only imagine how it must have looked - you pulling out the 50s, spittle dripping from your gob as you thretened the poor mite.

Shame on you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

I have no problem with beggars. Homeless people are homeless people - they can't help it. It's very hard to get a job when you don't bave a home. Employers don't like to employ homeless people.

That said, that's no excuse to harass people. I don't mind people who beg but they should never approach you and pressure you into giving them money/buying stupid things. I'm no racist but you have to admit that it mostly the foreign people who do this. Romanians make a terrible name for themselves when they go around robbing people. I was talking to a homeless Irish lad at an ATM machine for over 10minutes. He was very friendly and this was BEFORE I gave him money. That said there are, of course, irish scumbags who try to rob you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭Demonique

davyjose wrote:
    You're a bully - if you feel guilty and you can't ignore them, that's your problem. I can only imagine how it must have looked - you pulling out the 50s, spittle dripping from your gob as you thretened the poor mite.

Shame on you.

Poor mite? Hardly, she was 15 and it's illegal for people under the age of 16 to beg.
    I'm not a bully and I DON'T feel guilty, why should I feel guilty about moving on someone that nobody was happy with being there? There's every chance that she could be one of the ones who steals money from peoples' hands at ATMs. She's a mooch and I detest moochs, there's one idiot who tries to beg for free commissions off internet-based artists with the excuse that he's on Social Security in the US and people should have compassion for him.
    I'm on social welfare in Ireland due to a disability and there's no way I would stoop to mooching of strangers either on the street or on the net.

If the girl wants money then maybe she should persuade her parents to get a job. And it's not like they need the money, I've seen Roma women and children been dropped off in town by Mercedes and 4x4s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

Demonique wrote:
    They get the basic social welfare rate €185.80 plus housing benefits

No if they're asylum seekers they get about €14 a week €9 per child plus food/accomodation.

grasshopa wrote:
    No if they're asylum seekers they get about €14 a week €9 per child plus food/accomodation.
    So they get subsistence living, neither homeless or hungry.
    Does of course mean that they have nothing else either, but in general they get more here than in the country they have left!

Still no excuse for begging.

Demonique wrote:
    Poor mite? Hardly, she was 15 and it's illegal for people under the age of 16 to beg.
    You asked her age, did you? And yes, at 15 she's a child.
    Demonique wrote:
    why should I feel guilty about moving on someone that nobody was happy with being there?
    I'm as offended by your unashamed Vigilanteism as you are by her begging.
    Demonique wrote:
    There's every chance that she could be one of the ones who steals money from peoples' hands at ATMs.
    Ah yes, guilty until proven innocent - in terms of facism, up there with your vigilanteism
    Demonique wrote:
    She's a mooch and I detest moochs
    So ... what, you just clear them out of your path, and attack them?
    Demonique wrote:
    there's one idiot who tries to beg for free commissions off internet-based artists with the excuse that he's on Social Security in the US and people should have compassion for him.
    Well maybe the people who give him money are the idiots
    Demonique wrote:
    I'm on social welfare in Ireland due to a disability and there's no way I would stoop to mooching of strangers either on the street or on the net.
    What an awesome person you are!!!
    Demonique wrote:
    If the girl wants money then maybe she should persuade her parents to get a job.
    Brilliant idea - I'm sure her parent's were just waiting for a great idea like this one. You've said it all here love - by recognising the fact that she was on the streets because of her parents, and that this was clearly a decision that was above her head (and that she was a child), you've marked yourself out as a bully.
    Demonique wrote:
    And it's not like they need the money, I've seen Roma women and children been dropped off in town by Mercedes and 4x4s.
    Just take your money out of the hole in the wall and stop begrudging, or judging (or bullying) others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭Demonique

davyjose wrote:
    So ... what, you just clear them out of your path, and attack them?

I didn't attack her, I told her I'd call the police if she didn't leave the ATM. She was the one who swore first, I'd already mentioned she called me an f**king bitch, I didn't mention she also called me a c**t.
    A 15 year old is not a child, they're classed as young adults.

I'll continue to call the police on ANYONE I see begging at ATMs, including that horrible drunk Irish woman who's taking to begging at the AIB machine on Lower Abbey Street.

If you like the beggars so much, davyjose, why don't you offer to put them up in your own house?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,644 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Calm it down lads. No need to start getting personal over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

Le Rack wrote:
    This happened me yesterday! Or tuesday...but it happened! Little 8yr old sh!itheads, was at the ATM outside the back of M&S in the Gervis Centre, my friend had just used the ATM, and I was withdrawing money, just as I had put in my pin and pressed cash withdrawl, these 2 little scumbuckets came up, one on either side, waving carphone warehouse brochoures in my face, myself, my friend and the couple behind us kept telling them to get lost andpushing them off but they continued, suddenly €200 pops out of the machine me looking at it thinking WTF, I notice the little sack waiting over my left shoulder watching the money slot, and attempting to gab it before I do, so I got it, stuffed it in my wallet, and we walked, only after did my mate realise that I hadn't even pressed for money and all that came out.

Whatever about begging on the street but that is ridiculous!

they would get a huge surprise if they tried to click that amount from my account..

the machine would just say "sorry insufficient funds" for 3 quarters of the month

Demonique wrote:
    If you like the beggars so much, davyjose, why don't you offer to put them up in your own house?
    It's not that I like them, it's just that I still regard them as human beings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

davyjose wrote:
    It's not that I like them, it's just that I still regard them as human beings.
    I regard them as human beings too. Although i don't regard human beings in general very highly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

I beg at the atm every time I put my card into the machine

"please let there be money in there please please pretty please "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

davyjose wrote:
    You asked her age, did you? And yes, at 15 she's a child.
    I'm as offended by your unashamed Vigilanteism as you are by her begging. Ah yes, guilty until proven innocent - in terms of facism, up there with your vigilanteism So ... what, you just clear them out of your path, and attack them? Well maybe the people who give him money are the idiots
    What an awesome person you are!!!
    Brilliant idea - I'm sure her parent's were just waiting for a great idea like this one. You've said it all here love - by recognising the fact that she was on the streets because of her parents, and that this was clearly a decision that was above her head (and that she was a child), you've marked yourself out as a bully. Just take your money out of the hole in the wall and stop begrudging, or judging (or bullying) others.

Wow ! That's one of the highest horses I've seen in a long time, maybe it's worth a mention in the Guinness Book ! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Ideally, most ATMs should be in secure booths of their own which you should have to swipe your card on the door of to get into (something similar to a phone box, possibly, but more secure) - so that you, and only you, would be in there, near the machine.

Or alternatively, like they do in some banks in Spain, they should be in the lobby of the bank, which - when the bank itself is closed, can be accessed via a swipe of the card - so that only bank customers and not beggars should be in there. The door between the lobby and the bank itself would be locked then, clearly.

Or people should just use their LASER cards more :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

Bard wrote:
    Or people should just use their LASER cards more :p

This man speaks words of wisdom.
    Only time i use the Atm is the shop next to work doesn't do laser transactions if its less then 10euro's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I give them nothing. Either say "sorry I've no change" or just plain ignore them.. same with chuggers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

They certainly are a nuisance.

I went to an ATM machine on Camden Street today and there was a beggar sitting between the two machines mumbling to people. I took out my wallet and around €3 in loose change fell out and landed right beside the beggar, he scooped it all up and threw it into his cup before I could even blink. I wouldn't mind, but that was part of my LUAS fare home, I only went to the ATM to top-up my phone :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

Just seen on the tv3 news the romas at Ballymun roundabout is in fact a camp. Thery are not getting money from the goverment and the goverment has offered to fly them home. They are living in tents. Quite bad conditions but the Romas say its better than where they come from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

Has anyone bothered to find out where the Romas' come from and why they are here? I'm a bit lost myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Has anyone bothered to find out where the Romas' come from and why they are here? I'm a bit lost myself.

From the country of Romania yeh? *
    *not of Romanian ethnic group who are decent

Why they here?...because we are a soft touch and they 'think' they can live of social welfare here.

Their original country Romania is booming at the mo, plenty of jobs and dosh sloshing around to earn a decent living there hence no need to come here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Indian sub continent originally.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romani_people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭kurisu

Jumpy wrote:
    You see lads, there is a bit of a problem with your comments here.

Money does not come out of those machines until you have withdrawn your card.

actually it can, depends on the machine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

lots of different topics going on here.
    if there is someone begging at an ATM i wont use it. it annoys the crap out of me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

tis the scum that constantly "beg" at luas stops that really annoy me. have seen it lately at charlemont, abbey street and heuston and in the last 2 cases, there was about 6 of them, all hammered and they eventally started shouting and threatning each other.

surely you can go to the atm/ticket machines in peace without have these filth annoying you. the gardai are afraid to move them on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

the gardai are afraid to move them on.

i dont think the gardai are afraid to move them on, i think they are sick of having to move them on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

i always have to suppress the urge to kick them when i walk by them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭curiousxxx1

My friend and i went to Pizza Hut @ the bottom of Grafton st for lunch on a friday. And this little Romanian boy was inside the restaurant begging. She was generous and gave him a fiver.. Guess what he stole her phone(€420)
    To worsen the situation Pizza hut have no security camera....And the manager had the cheek to say next time we shouldn't give beggars money :mad:

To worsen the situation Pizza hut have no security camera....And the manager had the cheek to say next time we shouldn't give beggars money :mad:

in fairness he was right. i have no sympathy for ye in that situation. you're just perpetuating the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

in fairness he was right. i have no sympathy for ye in that situation. you're just perpetuating the problem.

Best not to make eye contact or acknowledge their existance, that's how they steal your soul (or in this case your phone):D

I do give money to people on the street sometimes (when I'm not in a hurry which isn't often). Basically I could never bring myself to beg or ask someone for money even if I was dirt poor (which I have been in the past) and anyone who has gotten to the stage where they swallow their pride and ask strangers for money deserves whatever help they can get.

Ok a lot of beggers may not need the money, be scamming well meaning people or be junkies but you can't really tell who's who so I don't discriminate.

GDM wrote:
    Best not to make eye contact or acknowledge their existance, that's how they steal your soul (or in this case your phone):D

exactly. couldn't have put it better myself
    GDM wrote:
    I do give money to people on the street sometimes (when I'm not in a hurry which isn't often). Basically I could never bring myself to beg or ask someone for money even if I was dirt poor (which I have been in the past) and anyone who has gotten to the stage where they swallow their pride and ask strangers for money deserves whatever help they can get.

Ok a lot of beggers may not need the money, be scamming well meaning people or be junkies but you can't really tell who's who so I don't discriminate.

you can usually tell the bulk of the scammers though from a mile off. sure wasn't there a period where a period where certain beggars of a certain ethnic group were dropped off by a minibus in certain towns every morning? not to mention there used be a few in Galway who'd always have a tin whistle near, so whenever the guards came near to move them on they'd whip it out and say they were busking. the scams are relatively easy to tell if you just keep your wits about ya...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

There's one simple thing to look out for, if they're wearing adidas trainers and tracksuit bottoms it's a scam and they'd proably knife you if there were no witnesses.

Some people who beg(spunkers) prey on the fact that people in this day and age are scared stiff by the media and public image of certain areas. So when faced with someone (persistantly) looking for money they either run a mile or throw money at them just to get them to go away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭HollyB

My friend and i went to Pizza Hut @ the bottom of Grafton st for lunch on a friday. And this little Romanian boy was inside the restaurant begging. She was generous and gave him a fiver.. Guess what he stole her phone(€420)

What on Earth was the manager doing allowing him to beg inside the restauraunt in the first place? Whatever about outside, the Pizza Hut management would have been well within their rights to tell him to leave if he was bothering their customers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

this happened on me once and i am so not gonna give anything away to those gypsy woman anymore!!!

she asked if i could spare 5 euro to her,i said i am a poor student(true!lol) with only a 50euro notes on me for the week!she then said i can give you a change(i was assuming 45euro back?jaysus) ,then i gave her my money without doubt...guess what?she grabed one the notes in her pocket which full of coins and notes(i was freaking shocked!!) and merely gave me back a 10euro notes!!said she thats all she got!!WTF!!!

i argued with her for about 2minutes then i (nearly begging her) suggested i can change my money at the shop and then come back to her....took my money and run!!!

terrible terrible experience!!

and at least 2 times after that i saw her again...she recognised me and come up asking for money!!how dare she!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

you'll learn the hard way give an inch and they'll take you bloody hand off.. i'm sick of them and im giving them nothing. i bloody struggling to pay the bills and these scab's are going tax me! there are prob a few good ones out there (beggar's) alas but there all dead!!!!!!!!!!!!! the good ones that is
    rough justice............ye so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Give them a confused look, As if you're from another planet, and have no idea why this grubby person is shaking a paper cup at you, If they say anything, walk away. If they just eyeball you smile, Smiles are free. They migth even smile back. If they do, give em some change. If they start shaking their cup or making noise, Walk away.
    If they touch you, get aggro, they all understand that language

ye thats fine but by entertaining them at the ATM they be there daily like lions at the watering hole...Sooner or later you come up against one with rabies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Oh no, not beggar rabies. I have a shot for that. It involves walking into the nearest shop/Bank and spending that 20 euro note on Something hot, scalding hot, Apply liberally to foaming infected beggar. That'll settle them right down. And possibly prevent future outbreaks.

If its a bank, just go to the counter, re-lodge the money you took out, and watch as the security guard drags the irate rabid beggar back to their perch.

I have very little sympathy for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

i thought i read somewhere that junkies sit by the bank machine so the dealers can come up and sell them their wares without anyone batting an eyelid?

You See Cops Attack People From Whom They Know They Will Achieve A Response Or Generate A Conviction.. They Don't Waist Time On This Small Sh1t As Its Very Hard Talking To Foreigner Lads All Day (it Wears U Down) But If Katie French Was Stabbed By A Beggar At Atm, Well Then Prob Solved-- They'd Have Their Witch Hunt Then!! And The Law Would Be Whipped In To Line (line Get It) Then..
    Recipe For Attack-- Hot Thick Veg Soup Is The Best As It Sticks To The Face And Stays Hot For Longer (due To Lack Of Convection Currents In Thick Liquid) This Allows You To Pick And Choose Your Target With Military Planning--who Knows You Might Get Two With One Shot.
    I Knor You There!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

You See Cops Attack People From Whom They Know They Will Achieve A Response Or Generate A Conviction.. They Don't Waist Time On This Small Sh1t As Its Very Hard Talking To Foreigner Lads All Day (it Wears U Down) But If Katie French Was Stabbed By A Beggar At Atm, Well Then Prob Solved-- They'd Have Their Witch Hunt Then!! And The Law Would Be Whipped In To Line (line Get It) Then..
    Recipe For Attack-- Hot Thick Veg Soup Is The Best As It Sticks To The Face And Stays Hot For Longer (due To Lack Of Convection Currents In Thick Liquid) This Allows You To Pick And Choose Your Target With Military Planning--who Knows You Might Get Two With One Shot.
    I Knor You There!!!

I got five words in before my brain started to melt. Can anyone better this?

This is a great one.

Heat a coin on your car cigarette light, ie rest the coin on the heat, and drop it into one of their hands and drive off. Its like a kindly drive-by :)

Recently I photocopied a twenty € note, crumpled it up and gave it to the boy with the gimpy foot at the Hilton hotel/Clare Hall Tescos junction, he thought all his birthdays had come together :D

That one was fantastic, its recorded on phone video and I keep meaning to youtube it :D

Your better than me, I got to about two and a-half before I stopped.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Its A Bit Of An Eyeful Alright.. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I Knor You There!!!
    I would have said Caps Lock was on but then I see a word that doesn't begin with a capital.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

Haven't seen a homeless beggar, or anyone begging at an ATM here in Munich, and when I asked my German mates in the pub why ? they all fell about laughing...
    They informed me that, in winter, if you're not booked into a hostel early, where you are ID'd and registered, and, mind you, well fed, your only other option, is hypothermia or frostbite. QED, no, or very few, homeless beggars.
    They also told me that the only thing you'd get, begging at an ATM here, is dogs abuse, from anyone using the machine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

one of them came up to me last week and asked me for some of the malteasers I was eating. The cheek.

• Advertisement
Advertisement