Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dance teachers course in Cork

Options
  • 11-07-2007 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭

Hi,

My girlfriend wants to do a course to qualify to do dance teaching. Shed like it to be in Cork. Can anyone recommend one please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

Heya, Colaiste Stiofain Naofa's course is supposed to be excellent.

Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Chumpski

Thanks very much for the recommendation, any others anybody?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭-aboutagirl-

Chumpski wrote:
    Hi,

My girlfriend wants to do a course to qualify to do dance teaching. Shed like it to be in Cork. Can anyone recommend one please?

Well this will depend on certain factors.

Firstly, is it ballet she wants to teach? Jazz? Hip Hop? For ballet she would need to qualify as a teacher with either the RAD or ISTD (the two most recognised teaching bodies in this country). A similar situation would apply to Jazz I imagine.

Secondly, how much training has she had to date? For example to be accepted onto the RAD teaching certificate you require a minimum of Advanced Foundation. But they will accept Grade 8 or Intermediate if you pass a video audition.

Thirdly, if she wanted to do the teaching course full time she should consider going to RAD headquarters to do it (one year). If she is interested in doing it part-time, the course takes two years to complete.

I would recommend that she talk to her teacher about this. Most girls I know who have trained as ballet teachers have followed the RAD course part time, with their own ballet teacher as a mentor. I think this is the best approach as you have a close working relationship with a mentor. I think if you did the RAD course through an institution like Colaiste SN you would get less individual attention, but thats just my opinion.

Hope this helps.

The RAD website is here http://education.rad.org.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Aspiration

I agree with -aboutagirl-. There are certain factors she needs to consider,

If she'd like to qualify in dance teaching (ballet, jazz, contemporary etc in other words the more disciplined), the place to go is anywhere outside Cork or Ireland for that matter.. The only place in Cork is Stiofan Naofa, and you qualify with a FETAC Certificate in Performing Arts (Dance). It's meant to be a good course, but upon finishing, it does not mean you are a qualified dance teacher.

Lots of proper dance colleges in England have teaching courses. Let me know if you need more information. RAD and London Studio Centre are just 2 colleges.

What type of dancing does your girlfriend want to teach?

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Chumpski

Sorry for not replying earlier, she says that was very helpful, she wants to teach modern and contemporary dance. She is grateful for your replies and is looking at courses abroad.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement