Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

motorbike courier-self employed?

• 11-07-2007 10:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

hi, hope somebody can help or advise. thanks!
    my husband works as a motorbike courier. he is registered with revenue and so is PAYE and has PRSI deducted. According to revenue, he is not self employed. However, the affordable housing department of a certain county council insists that he is self employed and i'm sure that if we were to look for a mortgage, any bank would have the same view. my husband is really bad at asking for information and i have the job of trying to put all the pieces together. i just don't want to be surprised when we are asked for an audit of the last few years. any knowledge or advice would be great. thanks again.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,061 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

He's falling through the cracks in the system. He's not self employed cause he pays PAYE and PRSI, but he's not a proper PAYE/employee as half his wages are removed before he pays tax. He's clasified as being nowhere really. He pays stamps put can't claim the dole as he only pays half stamps.
    He won't be asked for an audit as he is paying PAYE, if he is recieving his wages in full then he'd have to worry about audits. It's just that there are only a couple of thousand people in the country who are treated this way and the civil servants haven't a clue for dealing with people in your situation.

You'll need to do a lot of calling and keep track of names( if usefull people) when trying to get anything sorted out. Best bet would be to contact revenue to send a letter out saying that he is an employee and then hound the affordable housing dept with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 june28

thanks, this is the best reply yet. you really know your stuff. it has been so frustrating trying to get anybody to commit to an answer. So what i understand is that he pays tax on half his earnings through PAYE and needs to register as self employed in order to pay tax on the other half. is this correct? if so, it is a bit of a hassle but I would like to sort it out. If we ever buy a house through FCC or privately, i assume that this would be questioned and i would rather deal with it sooner than later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,856 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

No, he should be paying full tax through PAYE.

It's a bit complicated, couriers are self-employed (and Social Welfare treat them as self-employed) but Revenue regard them as a special case and they pay tax through PAYE. This means Revenue don't have to go chasing after them for tax returns, less hassle for all concerned.

How an affordable housing dept. or a bank regards it is up to them.

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,061 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

june28 wrote:
    thanks, this is the best reply yet. you really know your stuff. it has been so frustrating trying to get anybody to commit to an answer. So what i understand is that he pays tax on half his earnings through PAYE and needs to register as self employed in order to pay tax on the other half. is this correct? if so, it is a bit of a hassle but I would like to sort it out. If we ever buy a house through FCC or privately, i assume that this would be questioned and i would rather deal with it sooner than later.

As Ninja says, he doesn't have to do anything with his wages as it's all taken care off. You just need to get onto revenue and get a letter off them, and then keep copies of his pay slips. It is a pain to do, my brother did it years ago, and you need plenty of patience. The only issue that you'll have is that his P60 doesn't tally with earnings, but again keep pay slips and get a letter from revenue and hopefully all should work out OK. But good knows what sort of people you'll be dealing with if going for affordable housing, standard banks/brookers may have a better idea.

Advertisement