Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Noise during HD playback

• 11-07-2007 11:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭

How is the 360 noise when playing HD movies ?

I have noticed it is substantially quieter then the dashboard when playing dvd's from the 360 itself. Must spin down the fans. So when playing from the hd player, is it quietish also. And am I taking a big risk on the hd player seeing as blueray seems to be winning ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭Clank

It does get a big louder than a normal DVD as the 360 has to do some serious work to output the HD goodness.
    As for taking the risk, I dunno, I have it, only have a few movies for it but its pretty good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

Flaccus wrote:
    How is the 360 noise when playing HD movies ?

I have noticed it is substantially quieter then the dashboard when playing dvd's from the 360 itself. Must spin down the fans. So when playing from the hd player, is it quietish also. And am I taking a big risk on the hd player seeing as blueray seems to be winning ?

Well just think you'll have a collectors item if Blu-ray does win :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,003 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

I got fed up of the noise from the fans during HD playback so I upgraded to a Tosh HD-1 which I got with 5 movies for 320 on Pixmania, now I can connect via HDMI to my amp and get to listen to the HD lossless soudtracks :)

Snake ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

The most noticeable fault of the system, the one you'd be most likely to hear about from the largest number of users, is how loud it is. Sitting idly in the Dashboard system interface, the 360 isn't so bad: It's not whisper-quiet, but not annoying. Pop in a game, and it's a whole other story. When that DVD-ROM drive spins up to full 12x speed, it puts out a ton of noise. Fortunately, it spins slower when playing DVD movies, and the HD-DVD add-on drive is very quiet.

Source: http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,2066860,00.asp

Go for it! I'd love it just don't have the cash at the moment.

HD-DVD is far from dead. The HD-DVD stand alone players are outselling the blu-rays. The PS3 is what is saving blu-ray. HD-DVD really needs the support of Microsoft. A $100 drive would even things out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I've both (PS3 and HD add on). Quality wise, nothing between them, but the HD Drive is a lot louder than the PS3. I had the PS3 on for 5 hours and I couldn't hear it. I do prefer my 360 though, and if you have a decent sound system, you won't hear the fans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Get yourself a proper surround sound stereo setup and you won't hear it at all :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I find it hugely off putting.

That said I got my Xbox 360 at launch and I believe the ones these days are a bit quieter... but mine is horrible and the surround sound doesn't do much to mask it out.

You'll probably be fine with the noise if you only plan on watching films set on board airplanes as it will add to the ambiance.

I do like the HD-DVD player though and there is a much better selection of films available than the turds you get on Bluray.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Well I have my 360 and PC hooked into my Dell 2707 widescreen in the bedroom, so am limited in that I can't put in a "proper" surround system. Have a Logitech z5500 5.1 setup though, and that's plenty loud :)

In the end I stuck the 360 and the HD drive ontop of the subwoofer under the table...can't hear the 360 as much now as it's not at earshot level.

Advertisement