Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

question about phone line and dial up

Options
  • 11-07-2007 11:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

hello

now, i gotta apologise first off for making this post in here but it doesn't really seem to fit anywhere else, and this place is very active

we recently got a new landline/phone setup in this new house... now, when the engineer was setting things up he told my mom there was poor reception on the line... at least this is what my mom told me when i was speaking to her later that day... and i mentioned it to her today.. and she has no recollection of saying anything like that... ah well......

anyways - some observations i've made:

i've made two phone calls and both times the person on the other end of the line could not hear me speaking for the first few seconds but otherwise it seemed fine

second observation... my internet speeds are a painfully slow right now...top download speed of 3kb/s... it almost makes me wanna cry... sob like a lil helpless child... i feel so lonely... all my movies/mma and things are out there.. but i just cannot reach em on this useless connection... it's pretty depressing since i used to have a 2 megabit broadband connection, but even my old 56k was noticeably much smoother when browsing websites

so my question is, based on the two observations i've made.... what could be the problem with the phone line, if any....

second question - i'm very sad to learn that the flat-rate unlimited access during off-peak times for dial up internet is gone... is there anything better than the 180 hours with esat bt... i would like unlimited access during off-peak times ideally

thx for ur time

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

1. your line is crap. raise a fault on it , mention crackling and drops and get a proper engineer out to fix it .
    second question - i'm very sad to learn that the flat-rate unlimited access during off-peak times for dial up internet is gone... is there anything better than the 180 hours with esat bt... i would like unlimited access during off-peak times ideally

2. gone since 2001 , surf no limits twas called.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Get a CPS provider that allows up to 1hr per call unlimited free weekend & evenings, hangup and redail.

DO NOT use 189x internet number as it will still be billed eircom, or at least not covered in the deal. Use old 01, 021, 042, 061 etc geographic number for internet dialup. Set the modem/Dailup properties to automatically disconnect after 59 minutes.

I used Tele2 / TalkTalk that way till I got Metro Broadband. Now I don't even have a eircom line :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

There was an O2 dialup number in my area but that was shut off when O2 changed their website and how usernames logged in.

Are there any local dialup numbers left which work??

Advertisement