Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

anyone agree chris cornell is better off solo?

• 12-07-2007 1:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭

anyone else agree he is better off solo?

i havent got the new album yet but i saw him there 2 weeks ago and his new stuff was amazing.

even the audioslave stuff sounded better, mostly because tom morello wasnt there trying to make his guitar sound like a dying dolphin.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

This is a bit of a toughie.

I personally like Carry On even though its miles different than I was hoping/expecting. If Chris could make every album in the same vein as Euphoria Morning I would be very happy.

Nothing will ever beat the Soundgarden days tho, I have Badmotorfinger in that car at the mo and jesus it was a fantastic album.
    Audioslave were very hit and miss, usually good live tho.

I saw him recently also and I thought he kicked the headliners off the stage and I also had the pleasure of meeting the man(still in shock). It was a good setlist but only had 2 songs from the new album. Hoping for a solo gig here soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

He's better off doing whatever he's most comfortable with, I wouldn't expect any revolutions from him at this stage. Soundgarden ran out of steam at the end, as heard on the flaccid Down On The Upside. Audioslave were never even the sum of the parts and his solo stuff (with the exception of Seasons on the Singles soundtrack) hasn't been up to much. I think his best days are long behind him, personally, and would rather celebrate the truly great music he has put out in the past with Soundgarden rather than dwell on the pretty average stuff of his last few efforts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭brow_601

Doctor J wrote:
    Soundgarden ran out of steam at the end, as heard on the flaccid Down On The Upside. .

i thought down on the upside was a great album

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

Liked down on the upside myself and superunknown was excellent.
    Wasnt a big fan of euphoria as I thought it was a bit too ballad like.
    The new album sounds good though, also really liked the single soundtrack and the temple of the dog stuff.
    I think a soundgarden re-union would be good, why not, everyone else is doing it

brow_601 wrote:
    i thought down on the upside was a great album

What can I say? It bored the bejesus outta me, a savage disappointment after Superunknown. I give it the odd spin every now and then but I feel the same way about it now as I did then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Soundgarden were excellent, and I must admit I liked a lot of the first Audioslave album. The man's got a cracking voice.

i have all 3 audioslave albums and i thought they were great.it was really tom morello's guitar solo's that let me down,it was alright at first, but it do for 3 albums.and i had such high hopes for Origianal Fire, there was an excellent build up and then...what the hell was that???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,985 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Daffy Duck getting a blow job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Harsh Dr J. I thought Revelations was a very good album. Not a serious album perhaps, but great for a comfy listen.

Nah, Audioslave could've been so much better, given the participants. Imagine them all at their prime, instead of going through the motions. Don't get me wrong, they had their moments, but in the end it did sound mundane like yer man from Soundgarden singing over RATM riffs. It should've been something much, much better. That live DVD in Cuba or wherever is a snoozefest, no energy, no charisma, it's just missing that spark that good bands have and it sums up the band perfectly. They could've been amazing, but they were far from it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Oh, don't get me wrong, as I always said, Audioslave may sell the album, but it'll be Soundgarden and RATM that get remembered. But just because they didn't live up to their potential doesn't mean that you can't listen to their albums, or that they're somehow not good.

I just found them boring tbh

although i prefer soundgarden to audioslave, i do like audioslave quite a bit.its just tom morello's solo's that let them down, and i think at times they ruined entire songs.but now when chris plays those audioslave songs live, theyre completely different, and i definitely think theyre better

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

All went downhill after Soundgarden imo.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

brow_601 wrote:
    tom morello wasnt there trying to make his guitar sound like a dying dolphin.
    :eek: morello is an amazing guitarist, but you are right, the wacky solos didnt really sound at home with audiosalave. anyway ratm are back so who cares!!
    i seen cornell a few weeks ago, he really suprised me, his new stuff is pretty good as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

audioslave werent bad, but by the end of them i got so irritated by listening to chris' voice that he can do whatever he wants now, i dont plan on listening to much of it!!

:eek: morello is an amazing guitarist, but you are right, the wacky solos didnt really sound at home with audiosalave. anyway ratm are back so who cares!!
    i seen cornell a few weeks ago, he really suprised me, his new stuff is pretty good as well

exactly my point...except fot the whole RATM part...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,985 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Here's a great quality concert. Seems a little bored but listen to Jesus Christ Pose, not as high as when he was younger but way better than he usually is.
    http://msnpresents.msn.com/chriscornell/artist.aspx?mkt=en-gb

Use IE.

Edit: Say Hello To Heaven is surprisingly good considering how high he gets on that song on the album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Thought Euphoria Morning was brilliant, haven't heard much new stuff yet. Agree that he was great live last month though.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 grendo89

brow_601 wrote:
    anyone else agree he is better off solo?

i havent got the new album yet but i saw him there 2 weeks ago and his new stuff was amazing.

even the audioslave stuff sounded better, mostly because tom morello wasnt there trying to make his guitar sound like a dying dolphin.

grr :mad: no way! I'm firstly not a huge fan of the cornell, i used to be in his soundgarden days and a bit of audioslave. i saw them at ****** a couple of years back and i must say they were pretty deadly. however!.... his solo album..whats it called...euphoria morning, just made me so frustrated! after that i quickly changed my tune! he really irritates me now.

and about tom morello.. hes a living legens, well in my eyes.. i was amazed by him on stage..no dying dolphins were to be seen!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 CrazyTrain

Giblet wrote:
    Here's a great quality concert. Seems a little bored but listen to Jesus Christ Pose, not as high as when he was younger but way better than he usually is.
    http://msnpresents.msn.com/chriscornell/artist.aspx?mkt=en-gb

Use IE.

Edit: Say Hello To Heaven is surprisingly good considering how high he gets on that song on the album.

Christ, he does look bored. I thought he looked a bit bored in Dublin too but he played a blinding set and completely blew Aerosmith away!!!
    It was great to hear those Temple of the dog songs live - I wasn't expecting that, Result!!!

Advertisement