Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommend me a wireless router

• 12-07-2007 1:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭

As the title says, im looking to get a new wireless router. Ive currently got the netgear Wgr614v6 but it starting to cause me all sorts of hassle. Anyway ive heard good things about linksys, are they the best?(WRT54G)

Im generally looking at 54g routers @ €50 - 80 as that is really all i have need for at the moment. Also ive heard of 802.11a, is it something I should be concerned with? I do use Windows media extender on my xbox 360....

Any help is much appreciated.

Cheers
    D

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,520 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Dave6195 wrote:
    As the title says, im looking to get a new wireless router. Ive currently got the netgear Wgr614v6 but it starting to cause me all sorts of hassle. Anyway ive heard good things about linksys, are they the best?(WRT54G)

Im generally looking at 54g routers @ €50 - 80 as that is really all i have need for at the moment. Also ive heard of 802.11a, is it something I should be concerned with? I do use Windows media extender on my xbox 360....

Any help is much appreciated.

Cheers
    D

Look for the recent version of the WRT54GL, as later versions without the L aren't Linux based. And 802.11a is an old wireless standard and not something to worry about unless you have a specific need for it, in which case you'd know already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

One of the best routers i have used and still use WRT54GS using it for the past two years not a single problem easy to setup and to configure.

Think i paid around 60 euro's for mine back then, ones i tend to stay away from belkin and zyxels not very fond of netgear routers either.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

As previously mentioned be very careful of which version of the WRT54g you buy as apparently Linksys made a mess of a recent version (5) by reducing the amount of memory.

Lots of information here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WRT54G

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭bigtom71

The Linksys wireless router uses a frequency of 2.4Ghz ASAIK. I have just bought a wireless keyboard from DABS: http://www.dabs.ie/productview.aspx?QuickLinx=47XB.

This also uses 2.4Ghz from what I can make out. If I were to go wireless and get the Linksys router, would both wireless items clash with each other and cause interference?

Tom...

Advertisement