Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Penalty Points

Options
  • 12-07-2007 8:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭

How can I find out how many penalty points I have? Is their a website I can go to or something?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

The innocence :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Sizzler wrote:
    The innocence :o

Isn't it cute, he thinks he is living in 2007....... :p

Nope , no website to check.....

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭coreilly1

good question.I'd answer it if I knew the answer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭rockdrummer

Very sorry, i just thought it would make sense if their was a place to check !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

that is an excellent question, AFAIK the registered owner of the car (eg. My Company Ltd) gets a letter in the post saying that a penalty point offence was commited at LOCATION and TIME and the owner must say who was driving, and provide details of their Irish licence which will then have points applied to it, now details are sketchy, I don't think a rubber stamp with "1 PENALTY POINT" is pressed onto the driving licence, I think its just kept on the driver file.

Now, does the holder of the saif driving licence (eg. John Smith) get a seperate letter telling him points have been applied to his licence?

If not he might never know, and I think that is why you asked the question. Indeed if no letter is sent there is a great opportunity for people working in jobs where access to driving licence photocopies is easy, eg recruitment agencies (where job seekers send in copies of driving licences sometimes to prove they have a licence) this combined with an address and Date of Birth could allow the avoidance of penalty points. It would eb wrong of course.

Could someone who has actually gotten points correct me if I'm wrong here.

• Advertisement

It would be handy to know, I got points a few years back. Now I would like to be able to check, because if it was more than 3 years ago then they will have expired. Also when you get insurance they ask how many penalty points you have - if you gave incorrect info you may have issues when it comes to a claim !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,984 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Apparently there is a website in the works. When it'll be ready..., god knows.

• Moderators Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭Spocker

Quoting from the Fixed Charge Offence that I happen to have in front of me (:( )
    Penalty Points: You will be informed directly by the Department Of Transport of the date on which such penalty points are entered on your driving or provisional licence record. The penalty points will com into effect 28 days after the date of that notice

I believe "that notice" takes the form of a letter to the licence holder stating that the points have been added and when they will be removed (i.e. date of addition + 3 years). This notice is received after you accept the fine and return the Fixed Charge Offence notice to the Guards (i.e. pleaded no contest and didn't go to court). I assume the same procedure applies (i.e. notification in the post) if you do go to court and get points

• Moderators Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭Spocker

vector wrote:
    that is an excellent question, AFAIK the registered owner of the car (eg. My Company Ltd) gets a letter in the post saying that a penalty point offence was committed at LOCATION and TIME and the owner must say who was driving, and provide details of their Irish licence which will then have points applied to it, now details are sketchy, I don't think a rubber stamp with "1 PENALTY POINT" is pressed onto the driving licence, I think its just kept on the driver file.

Now, does the holder of the said driving licence (eg. John Smith) get a seperate letter telling him points have been applied to his licence?

The registered owner letter only arrives if the offence was detected by some automated system (e.g. Gatso Camera). If stopped by a Guard for some reason, he/she will take the name and current address (which may not be the one on the licence) of the driver and the registered owner (who may be different) will usually not receive anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,684 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

vector wrote:
    AFAIK the registered owner of the car (eg. My Company Ltd) gets a letter in the post saying that a penalty point offence was commited at LOCATION and TIME and the owner must say who was driving, and provide details of their Irish licence which will then have points applied to it,

Doesn't quite work like that. The registered owner of the vehicle recieves notification of the offence and then nominates who was driving it. Any decent company will contact who they think would have been driving at the time to confirm.

Nomination on the back of the original fine is completed and sent back to the Gardai, who then re-issue the fine directly to the driver. You will never get points on your licence without notification.

I personally would have thought you have to send your licence off and the points are applied to the actual licence, but I wouldn't know never having recieved any notification here or the UK

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭Shiva

You get a letter when the points are removed too.

And to be totally flippant for a moment.....if you have so many points that you're having trouble remembering how many, I'd start to worry about your standard of driving :D

Who said anything about alot of points, all I said was i got points a few years back cant remember if they have expired yet or if 2 or 4 points. And if insurance ask me and I dont give accurate info well i may have probs in furture !!!!

Dont know whera ya got the "so many points" comment you made?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭Shiva

I was being flippant...joking, in other words.

I didnt mean you spefically...I just meant in general.

Advertisement