Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to cycling

Options
  • 12-07-2007 8:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭

Decided to get into cycling, mainly for fitness reasons. I bought myself a road bike a few weeks ago, as I'm not very tall (inside leg 30") I went for a small frame, the man in the shop agreed that this was the correct size. Took it out yesterday for my first proper ride, done 20km. After about 7km I found my lower back and neck getting very sore, I'm hoping this is because I'm not used to the riding position and not that the bike is the wrong size. The height of the frame seems fine, an inch or tow clearance when I stand, and the height of the saddle is ok I think. Is there any other check I can do to make sure the bike is set up correctly?
    Cheers, Dylan.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

here is a starter article

http://www.jimlangley.net/crank/bikefit.html

but if you google "bike fit" you'll get lots of information.

I used to get s sore lower back when I started. It didn't take many trips for me to adjust. Stick with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭dylbert

Thanks, I'll have a proper look when I get home.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

dylbert wrote:
    After about 7km I found my lower back and neck getting very sore, I'm hoping this is because I'm not used to the riding position and not that the bike is the wrong size.
    As you got advice from a bike shop I would think that the issue is not being used to the riding position.
    On a road bike you are leaning forward, putting strain on your lower back and you are holding your head back, to see ahead, thus using your neck muscles.
    You will get used to it.
    Stretch the back and neck muscles after your ride. Maybe some DeepHeat will help too.

Advertisement