Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

what to do in case of a crash ?

Options
  • 12-07-2007 9:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭

I am a new car driver and was wondering what to do in case i get into a collision.
    what papers should be filled in etc ?
    what paperwork should be in the car ?

any help or advice in this is greatly appreciated

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

If you are in any form of collision (touchwood that you aren't), then you make sure the 'scene' is safe, check how anyone else involved are as you may need an ambulance & fire engine.
    If its only a minor incident you should be able to discuss details with any other parties. I would always get the following:
    * their insurance details
    * their NCT details (if the car is over 4 years old)
    * tax details
    * car reg
    * photographs of the scene, cars, and if possible include the driver & occupants in these.
    Don't assume that the third party is who they are. Ask to see a drivers licence!

Then call the gardai and let them know of the incident. If nobody is hurt then chances are that they will not come to the scene but that is not an excuse for not notifying them - its in your interest. You should also give a statement to the gardai (call in rather than over the phone).
    Then contact your insurance company and let them know of the incident. Even if you don't plan on using the insurance company to resolve liability, let them know as they will get you to provide details of the incident just in case it goes to a claim.

The never admit liability at the scene line is largely irrelevant as you are presumably not thinking straight. Your insurance company may tell you that the decision on that has nothing to do with you anyhow, i.e. they will decide.

Advertisement