Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Top Gear is bad for the world!!

• 12-07-2007 10:47am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭

Oh dear, looks like Clarkson and the boys got into a spot of bother again. This time from enviornmentalist saying that they fúcked up land and have caused "ecological damage". Hmm!
    Top Gear 'damaged African plains'

The show has been accused of environmental damage before
    The BBC's motoring programme Top Gear has been accused of causing damage to a pristine wilderness in Botswana.
    Conservationists have accused the show, hosted by Jeremy Clarkson, of leaving scars across the Makgadikgadi salt pans by driving vehicles across them.

They have said the tracks caused by the cars could remain for decades.

A BBC spokeswoman said: "We employed several environmental experts who advised us on where we could and couldn't go."

Bad example

She added the BBC had "ensured that we never went near any conservation areas".

Mary Rice of the Environmental Investigation Agency, which carries out conservation work in Botswana, said the BBC's example could lead hordes of "boy racers" to follow suit.

Photographer Ijaz Bhatti recently crossed the Makgadikgadi salt pans
    Guide David Dugmore was quoted in the Observer newspaper: "The thing that worries me is the viewers and public that are going to go out to the lakes, and we will end up with every Tom, Dick and Harry that comes up, with vehicles and quad bikes, which will absolutely spoil the place."

Top Gear, which has a large audience in southern Africa, is often controversial because of what critics describe as its addiction to speed and risk.

Last year, co-host Richard Hammond was seriously injured after he crashed while driving a jet-powered car at speeds up to 300mph at Elvington airfield, near York, last September.

In 2004, the programme took a 4x4 vehicle up Ben Tongue mountain in Scotland, reportedly churning up heather and sensitive peat on the way, and causing substantial ecological damage. The programme denied the allegations.

Codswhollop, I say!!

Taken from www.bbc.co.uk

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Duggy747 wrote:
    Codswhollop, I say!!

QFT! Those boys risk their lives against rednecks and 300 mph crashes to keep us entertained, let them drive in the poxy desert if they want. Down with caravans!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Collie D wrote:
    QFT! Those boys risk their lives against rednecks and 300 mph crashes to keep us entertained, let them drive in the poxy desert if they want. Down with caravans!

Heh, if you go onto Wikipedia you'll find some funny stories against the show. One being some pro-caravan sad acts whinging at how they destroy them all the time. :D

Clarkson is a glorious dickhead, he hates everyone from gingers to Welsh people. He got in trouble years ago on his own show for putting some plastic shape of Wales in a microwave. His response was: "I would've put Scotland in too but it wouldn't fit!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭dade

Mary Rice of the Environmental Investigation Agency, which carries out conservation work in Botswana, said the BBC's example could lead hordes of "boy racers" to follow suit.

I can see them now flying over the micras and the puntos just to race around the desert in Botswana

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

dade wrote:
    I can see them now flying over the micras and the puntos just to race around the desert in Botswana

:D You can imagine it:

Boy Racers parked up at the car park after destroying their engines from doing donuts:

**** #1: Jaysus, there's nothing to do. All the Shades have the by-roads covered.
    **** #2: Yea, they're muppets!!
    **** #3: I got an idea lads, let's go to Botswana! Do a few laps around the place, eh?
    **** #1 & #2: Let's go!!

Vroooooooooooooooooooooooom!!!!

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

**** #1: Jaysus, there's nothing to do. All the Shades have the by-roads covered.
    **** #2: Yea, they're muppets!!
    **** #3: I got an idea lads, let's go to Botswana! Do a few laps around the place, eh?
    **** #1 & #2: Let's go!!

You forgot the last line:

**** #1: Eh, where's Botswana? Is that the new gaff up the back of the shopping centre?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

zaph wrote:
    **** #1: Eh, where's Botswana? Is that the new gaff up the back of the shopping centre?

**** #4 step's in "No ye bleed'n muppeh's, its over de southside sumwhere I think".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

With a bit of luck that long jawed whanker will go up to his axels in the Okavango-- as an undernourished croc happens to cruise by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Another attempt at headline grabbing by the environmentalists I reckon. As a matter of fact, our government should ship all our boy racers out there and maybe it'll clean up the air here.

Advertisement