Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New €1.6m sports complex in Parteen ?

Options
  • 12-07-2007 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭

I saw this posted on www.Munsterfans.com Forum

Sounds impressive, I haven't heard or seen it in any of the local rags

New €1.6m private sports complex under construction
    ONE of the most ambitious privately owned sports development projects ever undertaken in this region is on schedule to open in September.
    Shanchoill Sports Complex in Parteen, the brainchild of local farmer Tom Buckley, is a 1.6 million euro investment that is targeting the upper range of the Limerick and Clare sports market.

Set on eight acres, three miles from Limerick city centre, the facility includes a 140 metres x 82 metre all-weather playing surface, almost the size of Croke Park (144.5 x 8, a clubhouse that contains a reception area, four full-sized dressingrooms, referees' room and medical room as well as facilities to build an upstairs gymnasium while the car parking area will have an initial capacity for 90 cars.

The complex will be open to all sports when completed and Tom Buckley is hopeful that high profile sides such as Munster Rugby, Limerick GAA teams and Limerick 37 FC will be regular users of the facilities. Limerick 37 boss Ger Finnin and Munster's director of rugby Declan Kidney will be invited to inspect the facilities within the coming weeks.

Tom Buckley is 34 and lives in Blackwater, Ardnacrusha. Disillusioned by current farming trends he resisted the opportunity to build houses on his eight acre site in preference for this exciting challenge: 'As a young farmer I see no future in farming enterprise at the moment. Agriculture is gone to pieces mainly through European decision making, the price of oil and the fact that creameries continue to dictate the prices. All of these contribute to the current situation. Farmers are being constantly shoved down to the bottom of the heap and it was time to get out.

'This is a big project but I have great faith in it. Getting the planning permission was difficult but I eventually got there. Local politicians Mary Mannion and Willie O'Dea were very helpful and when the complex opens in September it will be the realisation of a dream.'

When completed the playing area will be illuminated by a 24 metre high set of state of the art floodlights. A remote controlled camera system will be mounted on the floodlight pylons which will provide action replays as well as a facility for coaches to monitor individual players' performances. Electrical cable used throughout the site is of the high quality Cat 6.

Gullies have been installed in the playing surface for easy erection and removal of goal posts, an adequate dead ball area at each end of the ground is provided and the playing area can be reduced to five small playing pitches if required.

The tons of stone which formed the foundation of the playing area and the car park cost 130,000 euro alone while the 11,480 square metres of PU rubber backed 70mm green sand artificial grass mats, which were specially imported from Spain, are the first of its kind to be used in this country.

'This stuff can take all weathers,' Tom Buckley told the Limerick Leader. 'It has been tested to the highest level and will not burn the skin when players slide or come in contact with it. It is actually good for the joints because of the underlay.
    Whatever sport is played on it this brand will stand up to it, even rugby scrummaging or hurling or whatever. We are putting up netting behind both goals, raising the perimeter walls another four feet with wire fencing and we can use half of the main pitch for training purposes when required’

Tom, whose great-grandfather was a founder member of Parteen-Meelick GAA Club, claims that he has not got a single euro in funding for the project.

‘I have applied but there was no response,’ he said with a smile. ‘This is a one-man investment and reaction from local sporting bodies so far has been extremely positive.’

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

I must admit thats interesting but I find it hard to believe how he could do this with €1.6m

Were abouts is parteen? somewere near caherdavin?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭source

out the Corbally Road, past Westbury, then take the left and you come to a village, that's Parteen.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

1huge1 wrote:
    Were abouts is parteen?

Co Clare. :D

Edit: Runs for cover from the flames.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

bazz26 wrote:
    Co Clare. :D

Edit: Runs for cover from the flames.

via Limerick for the postman :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

thanks lads, im not even from the city so like if any of ya know the county better than me id be suprised

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

The pitch itself isnt in Parteen though. Its on the main road to Ardnacrusha on the right hand side

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Where is it Cooperguy? I don't know the area too well, which side of the canal is on?

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭rok

sorry for draggin up old posts
    I heard this new sports complex is up + running, has anyone on here used it, any good? How many pitches do they have there?
    cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Where is it Cooperguy? I don't know the area too well, which side of the canal is on?
    Sorry for not replying to that, I never saw it. Its a good bit before the canal. There is a sign on the side of the road at the turn off.

Advertisement