Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Credit card for air miles/rewards

Options
  • 12-07-2007 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭

Have had a standard AIB card for years and feel like I'm getting done left right and the irish banking system..
    Will be doing more and more travelling over the coming years and was wondering what card I should switch to
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭hamiltron

Same situation as you and am going to change card next month.

I am probably going to go for Tesco VISA card. Charges compared to AIB are similar - normally only the govt duty. There are higher charges for going over your limit or being late with payment with Tesco than AIB, but hopefully you could avoid that happening. AIB has a higher charge for foreign exchange (i.e. non-Euro) cash withdrawels outside of the Europe region.

The main benefit of the Tesco card is you get 1 clubcard point for every €2 spent with the credit card in any shop, so if you spend €1000/month with your card, you get 500 Tesco clubcard point = €5, or €60 per year. Of course, this is only any good to you if you shop in Tesco. Mind you, if you want to go to the zoo, go bowling, go on a ferry or some other things, Tesco clubcard allows you to send away for vouchers for them, where you get 4 x the value of tesco vouchers that you give them (so you send €10 of tesco vouchers and they send you back €40 of Zoo vouchers).

One point to note - I have heard that gambling sites and other places that allow you to deposit and withdraw cash using your credit card do not accept payment from cards that offer the users bonuses. This is to prevent people depositing $1000, then withdrawing it the next month, having got their free money from the credit card company...

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Katchit

I also have a Tesco credit card - they charge interest on gambling transactions, they treat them as a cash withdrawl rather than a purchase. Some credit card providers also charge interest when used to purchase gift tokens

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭hamiltron

Katchit wrote:
    I also have a Tesco credit card - they charge interest on gambling transactions, they treat them as a cash withdrawl rather than a purchase. Some credit card providers also charge interest when used to purchase gift tokens
    I see - good idea of them. Of course, you could avoid paying interest by loading a credit balance into your account before making the purchase. Thanks for letting me know the situation Katchit.

Advertisement