Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puff pastry recipes?

• 12-07-2007 11:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭

I have: a packet of ready rolled puff pastry
    You have: some ideas please
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Simple apple tarts are always good.
    I love filling them with finely cut apples with caramel butter mmm with a touch of cinimon.
    Covered in Ice Cream :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Some kind of savoury tart? Caramelised red onion and goats cheese for example?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Brown mince, cook some vegetables (whatever you fancy, I blend lots of different raw vegetables quite finely so you're eating loads of goodness but don't know it, then put them straight in the pie so they cook), put beef and vegetables in a dish lined with pastry. Cook beef gravy and pour it over the meat. put a layer of pastry over the top. Press edges down with the edge of a fork so everythingis covered. Brush an egg over the top of the pastry. Prick 3/4 holes in the top and bake for 25 minutes. Yummy! Plus it freezes really well so I usually make 3 at a time and then keep them for when I'm not in the mood to cook dinner. It saves me eating crap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

cook up any old veg and make parcels with the pastry.
    eg. onion, courgette and spinach in a parcel of the pastry. brush with egg or milk. cook 15-20mins in moderatly hot oven. also, as said; make apple pastries :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭catspring

thanks for the replies. i must try that apple one - sounds lovely.
    i ended up doing individual haddocks open pie thingies and they were great so i thought i'd post the recipe.
    cut pastry into rectangles (about 12cm x 16cm), put some wilted spinach on top (making sure to leave a border around the edge for the pastry to puff up). top that with a fillet of haddock and a squeeze of lime juice. i then mixed equal parts pesto and breadcrumbs and spread it over the fish. top with some cherry tomatoes, some nice, hard cheese and a few basil leaves and cook in a hot oven for 20mins.
    ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Sounds good! One tip when you're making these kind of things is to run a sharp knife around 1cm from the edge, just cutting the surface, not right through. When you cook it you then get a little raised edge.

Advertisement