Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is a non 3G handset on 3 for voice and text only ok?

• 12-07-2007 11:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 190 ✭✭

Hi All

Just wondering, all the talk about "you cant use a non 3 handset on 3" and in particular a non 3G handset, is all this just related to data use? IE would it be ok/ acceptable to use a non 3G (unlocked) handset on 3 if you don't even have data setup and just usee txt and voice calls?

thanks
    gr

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭cold_filter

Yep, you will default to the Vodafone 2G network for making calls and txts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

No you wont,
    When you plug the Sim in, you'll get an error saying "incompatible handset".
    Happened to me when I tried to use a 6230 anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

in most of the country 3 only has 3g masts so a 2g phone won't get any coverage at all. you'd only really get coverage in the cities. a non-3 3g phone is fine though

Yep, you will default to the Vodafone 2G network for making calls and txts.
    that only happens with specific masts, ie where 3 doesn't have their own coverage

GaRtH_V wrote:
    No you wont,
    that's happens with some 2g phones and not others. don't know why

• Advertisement

GaRtH_V wrote:
    No you wont,

Read his post, his phone is unlocked.

that only happens with specific masts, ie where 3 doesn't have their own coverage
    True but 3 doesnt have any 2G coverage which is what the phone will be searching for so it will access the vodafone 2G

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭hefty_langer

Phone unlocked or not - I'm pretty sure that 3 use 3G SIMs and these will not be compatible with 2G handsets... might give it a try here to change my 3 SIM into an old 2G handset... will report back

its nothing to do with the phone being unlocked, 3 do something to their sims to stop them being used in 2g handsets. it usually says "sim card rejected". if the phone is locked it says "phone restricted"
    True but 3 doesnt have any 2G coverage which is what the phone will be searching for so it will access the vodafone 2G
    it can only do that on predetermined masts. 3 has to pay vodafone every time someone's phone connects to one of their masts so if they have coverage in an area, people's phones are denied access to the masts in that area

its the same as meteor's deal with o2. you'll only ever see o2 on a meteor phone down the country. if you're in a city and you have no meteor coverage, you could be standing directly under an o2 mast and you still won't connect to it

Phone unlocked or not - I'm pretty sure that 3 use 3G SIMs and these will not be compatible with 2G handsets... might give it a try here to change my 3 SIM into an old 2G handset... will report back

I currently have 3 3 Ireland sims on my desk and a multitude of 3g and 2G phones, i have tried all of those sims in 2G phones and they all work fine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭hefty_langer

I stand corrected then!

Hey i may be wrong and they could be working on the phones i have as they are all specially modified

I currently have 3 3 Ireland sims on my desk and a multitude of 3g and 2G phones, i have tried all of those sims in 2G phones and they all work fine
    i've seen it work and i've seen it not work. in fact i've seen 3 sim cards be rejected from many 6230s and accepted in many more. i have no idea what the criteria for acceptance is. i can only assume newer firmware accepts them.

but even if the sim works in the phone, you won't be guaranteed coverage. the last time i tried it i put my 3 sim in a 6230i. it was accepted fine but got zero coverage. this was in dublin 15 and my 3 phone had full coverage while sitting on the same table

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

its the same as meteor's deal with o2. you'll only ever see o2 on a meteor phone down the country. if you're in a city and you have no meteor coverage, you could be standing directly under an o2 mast and you still won't connect to it

True, apparently Meteor is even in agreement with Vodafone because when I was in Cong last weekend my Meteor phone roamed over to Vodafone a few moments after losing coverage. I was still able to make calls but GPRS didn't work. But when I try to force it (Network Selection to Manual) to Vodafone here in Galway it gets rejected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 190 ✭✭gerryR

Thanks for all the replies, I'll just have to give it a go.

My biggest concern is that if it does work and I can use my own 2G phone that when the bill comes out 3 screw me cos they know I've what I've been doing.

thanks again
    gr

Advertisement