Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VPN without server?

Options
  • 12-07-2007 11:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭

I want to connect a data collection terminal in one site from a PC at an office. I have a fixed IP Broadband modem at each end.

Do I need a VPN?

If I do, how do I set it up without using a seperate server?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

nipplenuts wrote:
    Do I need a VPN?
    Yes.
    If I do, how do I set it up without using a seperate server?
    Without knowing anything about your environment(s) it's difficult to make recommendations. However, you could do worse than read up on OpenVPN.

Regards,

Liam

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

what OS is the data terminal running? There are other options apart from VPN. Do you want to be able to view the desktop on the data terminal or just see files/folders?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

linksys make VPN Client and server routers which would do the job for you...

They look pretty much like a linksys router, except the firmware has been changed to implement an encrypted VPN between the 2 units... Once the same settings are entered at each end, the boxes will form an encrypted link across the internet and pass traffic between the 2 networks... you will have to make sure that the required ports are open on any firewalls/NATs which the boxes sit behind....

Advertisement