Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World in conflict: Open BETA

Options
  • 12-07-2007 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭

Don't know about yous but i've been waiting for this game to get released. Looks amazing.

I put in Dublin for the city, Ireland for the State and 00000 for the zip code and it worked for me, got my beta into my email account in a few seconds.

You can download the BETA by either of the links below:
    Torrent
    Direct server link: Right click and click "save as"

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

Thanks for heads up got my beta key as well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

I'm downloading this now. My friends were talking about this yesterday, some of them had actually downloaded it then and it is supposed to be really good.

Although I am not sure it will even play on my pc, it needs at least a 2.5 GHz cpu aparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

well that's why it is a BETA, they need to see exactly what it will run on, how good and what bugs are in the code. My computer crashed so many times in the LOTR BETA that I just gave up and uninstalled it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

that web site is sooooooooooooooo sloooooooooooooooooooow to download from

• Advertisement

Yeah use the torrent I got the game within an hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

booo 18k/s, the torrent it is so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

cool this game has me interested, it could be very good or could be very bad Soldner bad.

kdjac

I need better broadband - 9 hours to go at 160kb/s

well just gave it a try.

Their statement that its Battlefiel 2 as a strategy game rings very true. It feels very similar in both its appearance and how its played.

I played 3 games and while I didnt find it daunting, I did feel the tutorial shipped with the game didnt allow you to experiment with the loadouts of eahc of the units forcing my first game to be one of experimenting with the different units.

Soon though I got to grips with what units worked in certain situations etc.

My comments so far.

Its very very busy...i aint kidding, traditionally RTS dont go beyond 4v4, but this one is set up to have 8v8 games and handles the sheers numbers quite well (of course lack of bases help)

It tries to recreate the FPS online scene in a RTS setup, and it pretty much gets it spot on, this is not Massive's first attempt at this, they have had a bone to pick with online RTS gaming for years, they've been trying to do this since they released the original Ground Control. So if you've played either of those 2 then you pretty much know how the game will play, didnt like ground control, then you wont like this. Same control layout and game style...only with real world weapons.

So yes I like it, but it does have some faults. The controls are bit iffy, but only because I guess I dont have a manual and havnt jogged the short keys down in my head (though putting waypoints to shift is a great help since it uses a wasd control method) Its particulary important to remember the reinforcement and tactical support hotkeys cause they are a pain to bring up and order stuff in.

In its bid to be like battlefield 2, the game might have stumbled into the same faults, the air power when under the control of someone who knows how to use them is really f*cking dangerous, I mean seriously they can wipe out almost every other unit in the game, It took 3 fully promoted heavy AA units to finally make a dent in my opponents air force.

Also it doesnt seem to be designed for 1v1 gameplay which is a shame because i like 1v1 gameplay in rts its a sort of a meeting of the minds game here its all teamplay and a bad teammate will get you killed.

Anywho gonna play it somemore, if your on the beta you can find me at: -IRL-Blitz

• Advertisement

had a couple of games, it's good fun, though you're not allowed command enough units, I picked air support and the most I could get was 6 choppers and they can be blown up in short order - it would be a lot better if you could command 50 units, you could actually get some work done then - further investigation required

I thought I'd hit a bug in it - I couldn't accept the EULA - then I realised you have to scroll down to the bottom first :)

I hope its set up so that the number of units you can control varies depending on the size of the game.

for example all the matches in the beta are 16 player 8v8 games...giving each player the ability to command up to 50 units will encourage some players to spam medium tanks and choppers and nothing else.

Hence in the current mode you can get only 6 choppers, but there could be 3 players playing air support so that can be 18 choppers alltogether and so on.

But in a 1v1 or 2v2 or 4v4 game, the amount of resources allocated to you should be larger allowing each player to have a bigger impact on the overall battle by themselves.

Anyone on today? Have lyet to go online with it.

kdjac in game kdjac

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭jonny72

They've been having tourneys already to promote the game..

Heres the prizes for the CPL world tour finals for this game
    1st - $60,000
    cup_silver 2nd - $46,000
    cup_bronze 3rd - $34,000
    4th - $24,000
    5th-8th - $9000

lotta money

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Can anyone suggest a torrent file with a decent DL rate?

I've tried a few now (including the one suggested by L31mr0d) and i'm getting 30 kb/s max :(

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

jonny72 wrote:
    They've been having tourneys already to promote the game..

Heres the prizes for the CPL world tour finals for this game
    1st - $60,000
    cup_silver 2nd - $46,000
    cup_bronze 3rd - $34,000
    4th - $24,000
    5th-8th - $9000

lotta money

crazy considering the cpl dropped both cs and wc3 to promote this game. ****ing sell outs :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Can anyone suggest a torrent file with a decent DL rate?

I've tried a few now (including the one suggested by L31mr0d) and i'm getting 30 kb/s max :(

Load the trackers from this list.
    There are 6 trackers, each with the same file.

I'm getting 320kb/sec

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Downloaded from http://ftp3.gameswelt.net/get/5310039ecb5c0bbcb4ce982c43e1f6ad/4697907c/demos/wic/wic_openMPbeta.exe and was getting speeds of 600 kb/s.

I only got into RTS's bout a year ago when Company of Heroes came out and haven't really played anything else since, it being so addictive. I even bought Supreme Commander and played it once, not really wanting to divert any of my game time from COH.

Will be interested to see if this gets me over my COH addiction.

Excellent game. Nice solid beta too.

KdjaCL wrote:
    Anyone on today? Have lyet to go online with it.

kdjac in game kdjac

kdjac

Added as friend.

I'm 'ptegan' in-game

• Advertisement

is the beta time restricted?

Will it finish at the end of july or something?

Ponster I'll add you as well (I'm -IRL-Blitz)

I play armour/support/Infantry...not fond of Air, but I havnt tried it alot.

31st of july it turns off.

kdjac

awww

I'm having too much fun for them to turn it off and force me to wait till september :(

KdjaCL wrote:
    31st of july it turns off.

kdjac

Really? I did not know that, that sucks.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

BETTER get my skates on so and download it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

I downloaded it and the pissin thing won't install "not a valid 32 bit app" crap.
    wait! Its working now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

n8zPyro is mine...I think O_o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Herr_cron

i play mostly infantry or armour, but i've only been playing since last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Ibjiba

Can't wait to try this one now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Squall

Great game. Has some great teamplay potential.

I mostly play support with a little bit of infantry mixed in

Will definately be picking this up in September.

The Beta is very solid too.... Havent noticed any bugs and rarely see lag. Seems to have fairly solid netcode.

Advertisement