Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burning the tri colour

Options
  • 12-07-2007 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭

All - Just noticed on the news that most of the 12th July bonfires have tri colours on top of them.

Do you think that in this era of mutual respect that this should be allowed? We dont burn the union jack on st patricks day ASFAIK??? I mean, I thought we had moved away from this type of extremism....

A

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

i agree, but then i think of all the toxic fumes they have to inhale from the thousands of tyres they burn, idiots!

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Saint Ruth

arctictree wrote:
    Do you think that in this era of mutual respect that this should be allowed?
    Should be allowed?

How do you propose to stop it, besides using rubber bullets and thousands of riot police?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 WJKing Snr

I'm a Northern Protestant and I have to say I'm in two minds about it. I've seen your flag burnt lots of times and to be honest it was mostly just for a laugh and a bit of what you'd call craic? If it gets nasty, then that's when the problems occur. But otherwise I think most Tadghs see it for what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

To quote Noam Chomsky...

Goebbels was in favor of free speech for views he liked. So was Stalin. If you're in favor of free speech, then you're in favor of freedom of speech precisely for views you despise. Otherwise, you're not in favor of free speech.

ETA:

To quote President Andrew Shepherd*...

"You want free speech? Let's see you acknowledge a man whose words make your blood boil, who's standing center stage and advocating at the top of his lungs that which you would spend a lifetime opposing at the top of yours. You want to claim this land as the land of the free? Then the symbol of your country can't just be a flag; the symbol also has to be one of its citizens exercising his right to burn that flag in protest. Show me that, defend that, celebrate that in your classrooms. Then, you can stand up and sing about the "land of the free".

* Yes, I know it was a movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

WJKing Snr wrote:
    I'm a Northern Protestant and I have to say I'm in two minds about it. I've seen your flag burnt lots of times and to be honest it was mostly just for a laugh and a bit of what you'd call craic? If it gets nasty, then that's when the problems occur. But otherwise I think most Tadghs see it for what it is.

So if you saw us, down south, burning the Union Jack whilst laughing and jeering at Unionists, you'd accept it as a bit of a laugh then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭celt2005

Tricolours are burnt on 12th bonfires regularly, suppose its " Part of their culture".

And they wonder why "their culture" is not held in high regard ,whilst they burn Irish flags as a bit of craic.

bonkey wrote:
    So if you saw us, down south, burning the Union Jack whilst laughing and jeering at Unionists, you'd accept it as a bit of a laugh then?

You're free, as you point out, to express yourself however you choose. As long as it's south of the border in your own country, it wouldn't particularly bother me. Irish people, as in Southern Irish people, don't have any respect for the law anyway so it wouldn't come as a big surprise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

And this is coming from someone living in the north??? Don't make me laugh...

Burning flags in North is against law, but suppose it is better than burning and intimdating foreign nationals from their homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

I heard that you're not allowed burn the tricolour down here. If this is true i think its a bit stupid. What a stupid thing to make a law about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭arctictree

WJKing Snr wrote:

IMO - Both cultures are entitled to march with their own flags. I think when you start to burn the other sides flag then that just provokes hatred in some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭hallelujajordan

bonkey wrote:

freedom of speech is freedom of speech. you might not like what people have to say, but in a civilised society we should be willing to respect their right to say it.

All I'm saying is that there's a certain suspicion on your part of authority, the State, Police and so on. I expect it;s just the way things panned out as a result of your violence violent history.

DarkJager wrote:
    And this is coming from someone living in the north??? Don't make me laugh...

All I'm saying is that there's a certain suspicion on your part of authority, the State, Police and so on. I expect it;s just the way things panned out as a result of your violence violent history.

WJ,

Our shared violent history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

They burn tri-colours to wind people up and it looks like it works:rolleyes:

celt2005 wrote:
    WJ,

Our shared violent history.

Ok fair enough. I'm actually sensing a lot of animosity here. It's not like I spent my entire childhood burning your flag by the way. In fact one summer when our dog died we buried him in a Tricolour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

WJKing Snr wrote:
    IBut otherwise I think most Tadghs see it for what it is.

no need to use the PC version of taig cos you're on a southern board. :D

OP - it's just a flag. Burn a Union Jack or Ulster Banner to achieve parity of oppression if you wish?

It's not an incitement as it's not in a catholic area.

Nobody is being hurt.

It's just a dopey sectarian gesture in a region awash in cross-community dopey sectarian gestures.

Who cares.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

WJKing Snr wrote:
    Ignorance is probably bliss for you, yes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

arctictree wrote:
    Do you think that in this era of mutual respect that this should be allowed? We dont burn the union jack on st patricks day ASFAIK??? I mean, I thought we had moved away from this type of extremism....

Clearly those who do burn the flag are not filled with mutual respect, and have not "moved on"

So I'm not quite sure what you mean by when you ask should this be allowed. What would not allowing it achieve?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Can you people not spot a troll?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭Hydroquinone

WJKing Snr wrote:
    In fact one summer when our dog died we buried him in a Tricolour.
    Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭maniac101

WJKing Snr wrote:
    Ok fair enough. I'm actually sensing a lot of animosity here.
    No WJ, animosity is what you wish to sense, and what you messages are designed to incite. What you actually sense is much worse, it's ambivalence. No-one really cares about what you did with your dog!

Why?

Truth is it was all we had to hand to shift him over into the grave. Also, his name was Paddy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

WJKing Snr wrote:
    Ok fair enough. I'm actually sensing a lot of animosity here. It's not like I spent my entire childhood burning your flag by the way. In fact one summer when our dog died we buried him in a Tricolour.

Please don't tell the OP you are wrapping dead animals in the green white and gold. He'll be leading a band of rebels up north by the time my lunch is over. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Franz Ferdinand

Not bothered about them burning the flag, but did you notice the lettering on it?
    K - A - T = Kill All Taigs.

Ah but sure, thats part of proddy culture - I forgot!

In a lighter vein, anyone ever hear the Bill Hicks routine on flag burning?

Redneck: "Hey buddy! Stop burnin' the flag! My Daddy died for that flag!"
    Bill: "Gee really? I bought mine at WalMart".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭Hydroquinone

WJKing Snr wrote:
    Truth is it was all we had to hand to shift him over into the grave. Also, his name was Paddy.

Yep. Because everyone has spare flags for other countries knocking about their house, don't they?

WJKing Snr, eh? I bet the W stands for William.
    King Billy is among us, folks. On the 12th.
    How nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Franz Ferdinand

Not bothered about them burning the flag, but did you notice the lettering on it?
    K - A - T = Kill All Taigs.

Ah but sure, thats part of proddy culture - I forgot!

In a lighter vein, anyone ever hear the Bill Hicks routine on flag burning?

Redneck: "Hey buddy! Stop burnin' the flag! My Daddy died for that flag!"
    Bill: "Gee really? I bought mine at WalMart".

Redneck: ""Hey buddy, my daddy died in the Korean war for that flag."
    Bill: "What a coincidence - my flag was made in Korea!"

As Bill said - remember, its just a ride.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭arctictree

Wicknight wrote:
    Clearly those who do burn the flag are not filled with mutual respect, and have not "moved on"

So I'm not quite sure what you mean by when you ask should this be allowed. What would not allowing it achieve?

Looks like I've opened a can of worms here. Just thought it was strange that this still goes on and wanted some opinions on it. Some people think its OK, others dont. Personally, I think burning a flag is a gesture of disrespect.

Also, if the law in the North says you can't burn flags and you do, then the law isn't really respected there either....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭jaarius

I was not aware that 'Tadgh' or 'Taig' was a nickname for an Irishman.

This thread is hilarious, btw.

j

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement