Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burning the tri colour

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

arctictree wrote:
    Looks like I've opened a can of worms here. Just thought it was strange that this still goes on and wanted some opinions on it. Some people think its OK, others dont. Personally, I think burning a flag is a gesture of disrespect.

I'm from the south and respect the flag and have the brains to respect the flags from other countries. That said I care but not to the point where it upsets me if other people burn our flag.
    There are stupid people everywhere (check a few posts up for some muppets). Let the stupid people do what they want. As long as they're not hurting anyone and it gives them amusement leave them alone. They'll get bored eventually.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Yep. Because everyone has spare flags for other countries knocking about their house, don't they?

Well of course - they have to stock up on flags if they're going to burn them. Duh.

OP - you're giving these morons the reaction they want.

The fact is, this is not part of the 12th's tradition, it's a very recent addition (considering the fact that the Irish tricolour only came into popular use from 1919 and was only envisioned 150 years ago at most).
    It's just a tactic used by insecure/paranoid Loyalists who want to get a rise out of insecure/paranoid Republicans. They also like to put the names of dead catholic children on flags and bonfires and burn them too - whatever it takes.
    The point is that it only works if people give out about it, so don't.

Besides, they're really no worse or better than Republicans who do the similarly pointless stunts and I don't see how they're desecrating the flag any more than those animals on O'Connell St. did when they attacked the Love Ulster parade.

The best thing is to ignore them - let them have their fun and everyone else can just get on with their lives.

(btw, I was delighted to see a piece on RTÉ News yesterday about the 12th, where they showed loads of shots of bonfires with tricolours on them but made absolutely no reference to them - the piece was about the pollution caused by the tires!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 WJKing Snr

I'm from the south and respect the flag and have the brains to respect the flags from other countries. That said I care but not to the point where it upsets me if other people burn our flag.
    There are stupid people everywhere (check a few posts up for some muppets). Let the stupid people do what they want. As long as they're not hurting anyone and it gives them amusement leave them alone. They'll get bored eventually.

Well said Mickoneill. Well said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

arctictree wrote:
    Looks like I've opened a can of worms here. Just thought it was strange that this still goes on and wanted some opinions on it. Some people think its OK, others dont. Personally, I think burning a flag is a gesture of disrespect.

Well it depends on what you mean by "ok". I agree that it is a gesture of disrespect, but then that is how it is meant to be taken.

At the same time I would be opposed to any form of legislation that would attempt ban the burning of a flag. A person should have the right to disrespect someone else. And we, as the people being disrespected, have the right to say we think it is disrespectful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭sickpuppy

The same gimps who burn irish tri colours want to march in our capital with there flutes and sachs etc.
    Singing king Billys praises as a group nothern irish protestants are neither liked or wanted by anyone.
    The uk dosent want you and doesnt need you you lot live in ashallow cess pool of hatred bigotry and ignorance which i hope drowns you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

Not bothered about them burning the flag, but did you notice the lettering on it?
    K - A - T = Kill All Taigs.
    I wondered what that ment. I myself am a southern protestant and was very offended when I seen those tricolours on the tire heap to be burnt. I was so angy I was going to fire an email off to Dermot Ahern then I said what good would it do its not like the psni would go and say to them we had a compaint from Dermot Ahern and you have to take the flags down and do not burn them. Can see that happening. Its shows they still have not learnt up north to respect each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

It's a bit sad, given that the colours of the flag represent peace between the nationalists and unionists. But hey it's a free country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭El Stuntman

classic wind-up WJ King

<applause>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭gbh

Northern Protestants can't have it both ways...If they burn our flag up North they don't expect to be welcomed and applauded through Dublin for Love Ulster parades. Burning the other community's flag is out and out Bigotry and nothing else and educates the protestant young in the north to hate Nationalists. Personally I think these bonfires are like training camps for drug-pushing criminal gangs.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I just hope they're burning tricolours made on the southern side of the border. At least that way they're contributing to our economy, which clearly needs the cash more than the booming one up north.

(let's assume I put in the sarcastic emphasis where necessary)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement