Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to avoid a double data package for O2 Broadband and Blackerry Data

Options
  • 12-07-2007 1:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Can anyone help me with the following query - I have added some background information at the end to explain what I'm trying to do and why. My query is as follows:

I have an existing voice and data package with O2 for a blackberry which currently uses GPRS/EDGE. I have been told by O2 that O2 broadband is a separate data only service and they will not allow voice calls from the SIM cards that they are putting into these USB modems. Seems daft to me that I would have to get a separate data package just for broadband. If I purchased a 3G blackberry (BlackBerry 8707g) and ported my mobile number and data services to this 3G SIM and then separately purchased a HSPDA modem would I be able to get better web access on the blackberry web browser and get HSPDA speeds through the modem using the new 3G SIM?

Many thanks in advance

Nevster

Background
    I work from home and I have a blackberry from O2 and also use this for voice calls - the data package is €20 plus VAT per month and the voice package is one of O2's timeshare packages. O2 have just recently upgraded their network and my blackberry now shows an EDGE indicator rather than GPRS most of the time (north Wicklow + south Dublin anyway). At home I have a BT 2MB ADSL connection which is as much as I can get but this connection seems to regularly suffer down time due to faults etc. I have a neighbour on an Eircom ADSL who does not suffer much downtime compared to me however I am reluctant to switch in light of looming Industrial Relation issues at Eircom. Instead I decided to get a second broadband internet service through a separate route. I initially decided on Digiweb - their sales person said they had wireless coverage in my area and a mast on top of the house would be installed by an engineer. Credit card details were taken and 20 days on I had heard nothing. Then O2 broadband was announced and I decided this would be a better option so cancelled the Digiweb order. I will push ahead and get the O2 USB Modem but as I currently have a data package with O2, it would make much more sense if I could upgrade the data service to the HSPDA network and not be paying for two separate data packages from O2.

Advertisement