Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Please help, writer's block

• 12-07-2007 1:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭

I know there are links here to aid songwriters, but for the past couple of months I have not been able to write anything. Not a thing. I even tried to write about not being able to write :confused: My songwriting used to come naturally and flow, but now I just feel numb, I can't bear it. I don't know what to do, I'm afraid I'll never be able to write again. Is there any way to break this? :( Thanx.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

Listen to an insanely wide spectrum of music. Something will click you back into it.

Something that always works for me is going to see live music and it normally falls into two categories:

1. The music is so great and enjoyable that I realise how good music makes me feel and I have the urge to write.

2. The music is tragically mediocre and the performers are too full of themselves. This makes me want to go home and write because I know I can do it better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

If you have deadlines go and buy yourself the book "The Artist's Way." It gets a little soppy in one or two places but it is a great insight into the creative process, it's a pretty effective tool and makes a lot of sense.

If you're not on a deadline I'd use the space to give yourself a break. Taking a break from constant writing is very healthy and if you are going through a bit of a dry stage it's best to have it then. Remove all expectation from yourself to write and you'll suddenly feel alot better about it. You'll probably get a few inspirational urges, for me they usuaully don't get finished when I'm on this type of pahse. So expect a few false dawns. You'll return to your writing and feel a lot better about it. Every time I've had a block combined with a break like this I have returend a far better and more mature writer. Although I will say that one of them lasted 5 years! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 CJ07

Yeah, get pissed, dangerously stoned and see what happens. If you do it enough times eventually you'll get something (including a load of ****e) but if not at least you'll have a laugh the next day. Works for me (try not to get too phsycadelic about it, those days are gone)

just a thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Alanthroneus

i find that if you listen to a song that you hold close to you, one that effects you in a way only you can know, youll open up that part of you and the words will just flow.

Advertisement