Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tryin to identify what's causing noise on my PC

Options
  • 12-07-2007 2:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭

The noise is annoying my head no end now, and I want to get rid of it - its not THAT loud, but I'm constantly, constantly aware of it

Using a Cooler Master Cavalier 3 case, ASUS A8N-SLI board with the official replacement chipset fan, Radeon X700 Pro and AMD Athlon 64 3500+

How can I determine what's causing the noise without messing anything up - e.g. tried holding finger in middle of main fan at the back so it momentarily stops, but that didn't seem to make any difference...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭buildabong

Could be:

CPU fan.
    Graphics card fan.
    Loose screws on the case (causing resonance).
    Another system fan (AMD cases normally have those).

Best way is to open your case!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Yep, open her up and stick your head in and see if you can sence where the sound is comming from. if it is a fan try and press the fan shroud as the fan could have come loose.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

If all your fans are connected to headers as well, you can use speedfan to stop most of your fans *briefly* through software.

What make of PSU you got?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭redtom

Yar, i do have the case open for trying to breifly stop the main fan at the back - i tried that from the inside

There's a small fan at the bottom of the front which the hard drives sit behind, might unplug that first

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭redtom

DirkVoodoo wrote:
    If all your fans are connected to headers as well, you can use speedfan to stop most of your fans *briefly* through software.

What make of PSU you got?

Think its a Thermaltake Purepower 500w (or so) job

• Advertisement
Advertisement