Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet access

Options
  • 12-07-2007 3:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭

Living a bit outside Rathkelae and have given up using a dial up cos you have to wait ten years for one page to download. Two questions:
    1)How/where can a person get wireless?
    2)Where are the nearest cheapest internet cafes?There are two in newcastle but both cos almost a fiver an hour!
    Merci

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Fiver an hour sounds pretty cheap to be honest! How long do you need? :)

As for access at home, first thing to check is Eircoms site to see if your phoneline can handle it.

- Go to http://www.eircom.ie/broadband
    - Click "Can you get it" on left menu
    - Click "Check your line" under point 1 in the main body text.
    - Follow instructions and run the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 DannyMac

Hi panda100,

I've a mate living just outside Rathkeale (On the Ballingarry side) and he has wireless 1Mb broadband (Can't remember the company, but I'll find out)

The reliability is sh!te though, and pings to boards.ie are dreadful.

I'm currently advising him to go and pay 120 to get a line installed with Eircom and and then go with BTor Eircom for broadband depending on price

Rgds

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Well Panda says he is using dialup, so he already has Eircom.
    Its just a matter of seeing if the line is broadband-capable.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Try www.Icebroadband.ie, www.clearwire.ie or www.digiweb.ie for wireless broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

bazz26 wrote:
    Try www.Icebroadband.ie, www.clearwire.ie or www.digiweb.ie for wireless broadband.

None of which, have any coverage in Rathkeale.

jbkenn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

jbkenn wrote:
    None of which, have any coverage in Rathkeale.

jbkenn

Good old 21st century Ireland..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

TmB wrote:
    Fiver an hour sounds pretty cheap to be honest! How long do you need? :).

Well I sometimes have to check my email around three times a day and you have to pay a flatline fee of five euro so thats fifteen euro a day even If im only using the computers for ten minutes.That adds up to about 50 euro a week,200 euro a month which is a bit much for internet access.
    TmB wrote:
    As for access at home, first thing to check is Eircoms site to see if your phoneline can handle it.

- Go to http://www.eircom.ie/broadband
    - Click "Can you get it" on left menu
    - Click "Check your line" under point 1 in the main body text.
    - Follow instructions and run the test.

Line not compatible.damnation. I guess Il have to wait for Broadband to hit Rathkeale!Does anyone know when Broadband is hitting west Limerick?

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

bazz26 wrote:
    Good old 21st century Ireland..

For which you can thank, the DCMNR, Comreg, and, particularly Limerick County Council, whose total lack of interest in Broadband deployment in County Limerick, is nothing short of shamefull

jbkenn

• Registered Users Posts: 17 DannyMac

Hi Panda100,

Try www.bbnet.ie

That's what my mate is using.

They will come out to your house and check if you have line of sight to their mast. As far as I know, the callout for this is free.

Rgrds

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

I live in abbeyfeale and am with Permanet, www.permanet.ie

They are very good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 YellowToeNails

Well you know why Eircom don't serve Rathkeale with DSL.

Mod Edit: Derogatory comments about the residents of Rathkeale removed.
    Comments like these aren't welcome (or funny). Don't do it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

I cant actually believe rathkeale does not have DSL

I consider it a town- there are many smaller VILLAGES in rural ireland with broadband!

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭cmurph

someone already mentioned bbnet..

i use bbnet at home all the time, i find it very realible and fast and barry and the lads are a pleasure to deal with...

[i am in no way affiliated with bbnet ,just a happy customer!]

barrys number is 061 395235

www.bbnet.ie

give him a call, he will try his best to sort you out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Battery Rover

Living just outside Askeaton myself and use BBnet. Have a 2mb up 2 mb down connection for €60 a month.

Find them ok to deal with other than the direct debit seems to be taken on different days every month

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

60e/mo for 2m is a bit steep but I suppose when there are no other options courtesy of eircom/govt etc what dya do

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭jimmyjim11

Newcastle west library has free Internet access :rolleyes:

have u tried 3g, three, o2 , vodafone ?

on three at the mo 7 miles from Newcastle good speed during the day 1mb or so
    slow in the evening like dial up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Pixyboo

panda100 wrote: »
    Well I sometimes have to check my email around three times a day and you have to pay a flatline fee of five euro so thats fifteen euro a day even If im only using the computers for ten minutes.That adds up to about 50 euro a week,200 euro a month which is a bit much for internet access.

Line not compatible.damnation. I guess Il have to wait for Broadband to hit Rathkeale!Does anyone know when Broadband is hitting west Limerick?

you be long dead when it hits west limerick :-(

try eircom Anytime Bundle-30 euro a month for 150 hours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

All sorted now! eircom wireless was installed in our area over the last month so Rathkeale is now live and on line!yay!

Advertisement