Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Need to contact previous owner

Options
  • 12-07-2007 3:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Usuall Story, garage never bothered to send out the log book, I got the previous owners details from Shannon after weeks of constant phone calls so all i need to do now is make contact - only thing is i aint got his number - i have his address but because his name is'nt on eircoms listing for the house they cant release the number (& rightly so) have i to resort to snail mail to make contact? or do i call to the house?

Any one any expierience of this situation -

Cheers,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Hi ,

Why not go back to the garage? should they not have the log book / reg cert?

As you have their address you could always send down a letter to them and see if they would give you a call.. Failing that I would goto your local garda station, they will not give you his details but they will normally in cases like this take your details and pass them onto him and ask him to contact you to resolve the issue...

you could always get some speeding tickets I'm sure he'd contact you fairly quickly then... just kidding of course :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Liam Wicklow

Garage are waisters - i didnt mention but i bought the jeep in October last & after literly a call a day for 5months i just gave up on the garage - utterly no help.
    I am just blessed i aint been stoped by the Gards recently or they will whip the jeep out from under me quicker than i can say "its not my faulttttt......."

I think ill just detour on my way home this eve & knock on his door,

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭daedalus2097

Hah! That's it, get yourself nice and photographed and see him come looking for you ;) It's a little odd that the dealer didn't have the log book though... My flatmate's car was written off a year or so ago in a crash, she was told the engine was dead and wasn't worth fixing. Fair enough, she left the car with the recovery service that picked it off the M50 and that was that. A few weeks later she gets a phone call from a guy saying he just bought her car, the dealer said it had a small crash but was easily repaired and working fine and gave him my flatmate's number, telling him to chase her for the log book. That just seems crazy to me!

There dont seem to be any comeback on the garage - & that just boils my blood.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Technically the car is still registered in the previous owner's name so if you get a parking fine, the fine goes to them. I'm sure they would be pretty pissed and may well contact the garage to get it sorted. Two customers hasseling the garage may force them to get the finger out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

You don't need to contact the previous owner at all. What you need the Garage to do, is fill out an RF105, transferring the log book into their name, and send this, along with the form for a replacement log book. The car will be transferred into the Garage's name, but will not increase the number of owners on the car. Once they received the log book, they can then transfer it into your name. Whole process should take about a fortnight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Garage are waisters - i didnt mention but i bought the jeep in October last & after literly a call a day for 5months i just gave up on the garage - utterly no help.
    I am just blessed i aint been stoped by the Gards recently or they will whip the jeep out from under me quicker than i can say "its not my faulttttt......."

I think ill just detour on my way home this eve & knock on his door,
    Drive to the garage....

I have been up there, id say 15times, the place just sickenes me now, cant go near it or i start getting that shafted feeling...

Advertisement