Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oil tankers at the docks

Options
  • 12-07-2007 4:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭

I moved down near the docks this week. Lovely spot but parking is woeful seeing as we have no car parking space with our apartment.

Since moving in I have been enjoying watching the boats, particularily the massive oil tankers! There have been three different ones there now since Sunday all parked up for a few hours while I assume their offloading the oil.

Question is...3 tankers!. Does galway use this much oil or what other areas does it go to? Does it go into all the big tanks beside the docks and how does it get there from the ship? Underground pipes?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bass Cadet

I moved down near the docks this week. Lovely spot but parking is woeful seeing as we have no car parking space with our apartment.

Since moving in I have been enjoying watching the boats, particularily the massive oil tankers! There have been three different ones there now since Sunday all parked up for a few hours while I assume their offloading the oil.

Question is...3 tankers!. Does galway use this much oil or what other areas does it go to? Does it go into all the big tanks beside the docks and how does it get there from the ship? Underground pipes?

The big tanks beside the Docks are empty as far as I know (at least the front ones are). Too much of a hazard in this day in age. They have always been a hazard. If they went up, they would have taken most of Galway city with them!! All that area has been replanned and a massive new docks area extending to the Victoria Hotel has been designed and planning passed already as far as I know

Not sure where all the oil goes. I presume to depots around the west

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

Hi Guys

All the tanks in the docks hold fuel they are all owned and operated by Irish Shell, when the Tankers are in they pump fuel directly to the tanks and they can also pump to the tanks at the rear of the docks. The Bitumen tankers pump directly to a new Bitumen tanks also at the back of the docks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

Aerohead wrote:
    Hi Guys

All the tanks in the docks hold fuel they are all owned and operated by Irish Shell, when the Tankers are in they pump fuel directly to the tanks and they can also pump to the tanks at the rear of the docks. The Bitumen tankers pump directly to a new Bitumen tanks also at the back of the docks.

Where do the tankers come from and how much fuel do they hold?
    Are the tanks underground?

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭stevecrow74

if your really interested about the tankers and what they hold go into the galway steveadores office.. the funny little building to the left of galway bay seafoods(you cant miss it.. its the one with the perspex roof), they have all the details of all of the incoming ships, cargo, where from and tonnage.. just make sure you go in during low tide and when there are no big tankers in the docks oherwise they will be busy ;);)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

All the tanks are overground, the oil tankers bring their cargo of fuel from Cork or from Milford Haven in the UK. The Bitumen tankers bring their cargo from Spain. There is plans to move all the oil tanks further out towards the lighthouse and to build a brand new harbour that will be able to take the bigger ships and Cruise Liners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Bass Cadet wrote:
    The big tanks beside the Docks are empty as far as I know (at least the front ones are). Too much of a hazard in this day in age. They have always been a hazard. If they went up, they would have taken most of Galway city with them!! All that area has been replanned and a massive new docks area extending to the Victoria Hotel has been designed and planning passed already as far as I know

Not sure where all the oil goes. I presume to depots around the west

No planning application yet. The Galway Harbour Company want to build a new harbour across the channel (seaward side of Renmore Barracks, outside L. Atalia is closest I can describe it). To do this they need money. They propose to raise the money by selling the land around the existing docks that they own, where the tanks are, etc. They have asked the city council to decide on what kind of development should take place there. The council want the minister to designate the area a special zone for regeneration (forget the exact term), similar to what happened with Ballymun.
    My guess is we will see a top quality marina in the existing docks, with new apartment developments on the existing oil tank site. The sale of land to developers for these apartments will fund the new harbour.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Take a look at page 7 here: http://www.iarnrodeireann.ie/images/upload/news/239.pdf

A great view from your apartment balcony. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

I hope the Victoria place isn't changed as a result of this development, there's a lot of history round there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Engine of large tanker , reckon they're fond of a drop of juice too

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/130/329817528_1376d8279f_o.jpg
    http://farm1.static.flickr.com/128/329817531_7d0a05fd37_o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

bushy... wrote:

Reckon that would be a supertanker. It would probably use all the oil the tankers in Galway carry as cargo!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Since moving in I have been enjoying watching the boats, particularily the massive oil tankers!

Ha ha Massive Tankers? Your joking right? They are tiny compared to what Foynes get, you aint seen nothing yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭stevecrow74

bushy... wrote:

there super tanker engines.. one of those engines wouldnt fit in the docks..:eek:

Advertisement