Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can You Complete?

Options
  • 12-07-2007 4:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

Hey im taking my leaving cert exams in 2008 and i was wondering can you do the leaving cert with only 5 subjects or do you have to do the 6?

Thank You

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭mayosteve99

you can do six for some I.T Courses i believe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭genericgoon

having six would be highly recommended

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

For PLC courses and Ordinary degree's/Higher certificates, you only need 5 subjects, but I would do 6 to maximise your chances.
    You need a minimum of 6 for a straight 4 year degree, but I would even reccomend 7 because if you **** one up(like I nearly did had I not dropped to ordinary History) you would lose out on your college place.
    5 is fine if you are confident in them, if not do 6 or even 7.
    Dont do more than 7 because it is wasted effort tbh.
    I had 6 subjects btw.

you can do six for some I.T Courses i believe

A good few of them only need 5.
    Most, if not all Honours degree courses only need 6, most schools want you to do seven as a backup.
    Remember, only six subjects are counted.

Hey im taking my leaving cert exams in 2008 and i was wondering can you do the leaving cert with only 5 subjects or do you have to do the 6?

Thank You

OP, if you want to just pass the LC and don't have college plans, five subjects is fine in either Higher or Ordinary level, or a mixture.
    If you pass five subjects, you have essentially "passed" the Leaving cert.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

Five will pass the L.C. but six needed for college places. Hope that helps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭sd123

I think the more subjects you do, the better, up to a point of course. It is true that almost everybody is bad at one or more of ; iri, eng, maths. myself, for example, i'm useless at eng and iri. so im just planning to pass those subjects. However, because im doing so many subjects, i can still get well over 500 points by doing well in the other subjects i do. I do 9 subects btw, but thats counting LCVP as a subject which btw can only be done if you do 5 other subjects, i believe:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

I'm also doing 9 for my Leaving Cert, including LCVP which our school puts us in for automatically if subjects collide...I'm only doing two of my three options in school, doing history with tests given by a teacher but studying it alone...and yet a business subject and music combined gives me LCVP...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Five will pass the L.C. but six needed for college places. Hope that helps!

True, but only if you want to go directly from school into a college course.
    There are many ways to skin a cat.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,469 ✭✭✭✭cson

you'll be marked out of 500 points afaik.

As for not getting into cólláge, hypothetically speaking Watson if one took 6 subjects only and failed in one that would in theory (well according to the rest of you) perclude them from partaking in third level non?

• Advertisement

No, anyone with five subjects can get into a college course.
    They are just not eligible for a four years honours degree, but if they complete the ordinary degree/higher cert, they can move onto the Honours degree if they wish.
    I know people who done fairly crap in the LC, but kicked everybody's ass when it came to College, where it was not uncommon for the LC "low achievers" to get firsts/2.1 grades in various disciplines like Business/IT/Computer Science etc.
    LC is like a lottery at best, hope you get what you want or else find another means of getting that elusive college place.
    The Leaving cert just isn't what its cracked up to be.

all level 8 courses require 2 honours and 4 passes as part of matriculation I think

That is correct, Ordinary degree courses require 5+ passes plus the points required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Neo Android

Im doing the leaving cert then going to dundee uni for Foresnic Anthropology, i was wondering if i had to do 6 to pass it competeley but from the mixed responses here it seems i only need 5, also because im very ill all the time i thought it would be best to focus on the 5 that i would need to pass. So i was worried if i had to do 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,469 ✭✭✭✭cson

Im doing the leaving cert then going to dundee uni for Foresnic Anthropology

David Caruso would be proud :p

I think we have a(take off sunglasses) MURDER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

While there are many ways to skin a cat surely the one with the most options to begin with would be the best advice for someone in my position to give but point taken.

Advertisement