Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should i give vista a chance???

• 12-07-2007 5:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭

Just got vista pre installed on my laptop from dell, have been using it a few hours now and it seems to run slowly and getting used to a new operating system is a bit annoying, so my question should i give vista a chance or is it worth my while installing xp.

Also im running vista but have a ligitimate xp professional or media centre that i could use, any suggestions.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

It ran slow for me for a few days while the indexing indexed all files for searching. The constant disk noise nearly drove me crazy! It's fast now but there are some annoying bugs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭neon_glows

so HelterSkelter do you think i should give vista a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

I had it on my wifes Laptop when I bought it and got rid of it within the day!
    Brutal slow!

neon_glows wrote:
    Just got vista pre installed on my laptop from dell, have been using it a few hours now and it seems to run slowly and getting used to a new operating system is a bit annoying, so my question should i give vista a chance or is it worth my while installing xp.

Also im running vista but have a ligitimate xp professional or media centre that i could use, any suggestions.

Give it a chance. It speeds up after a while using it due to indexing and it also learns what applications you are going to open then prefetches them.

I run it in work, by choice I might add. I work in the IT dept and I am basicly using it to get the feel of it before anyone else uses it in work.

Personally I love it. There are a few annoying incompatible apps and hardware (like vodafone cards) but its pretty good in my opinion. The new explorer and start menu is worth it alone.

Run windows update, there are bucket loads of fixes and updates that should make a noticable difference.

Trust me, it grows on you :)

neon_glows wrote:
    so HelterSkelter do you think i should give vista a chance.
    Yeah, I'd go for it. I find it nicer to use than XP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I like it. Make sure you have at least 1GB of RAM, preferably more though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 910 ✭✭✭rick_fantastic

can it be installed dual boot with winxp on one partition and vista on another?

i have a lappy with 2 gigs of ram and dual core processor.

any compatibiblity issues?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭J.S. Pill

The only major problem I've had with it so far is that Firefox kept on acting up on me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭srdb20

I used Vista on a new PC build for a month or so, then i decided to go back to a dual boot system with XP, Now depending on what i want to do, i choose Xp or Vista.

Its worth giving it a chance, you never know you might like it after a while.

If not you can always install Xp and be done with it, or if it takes your fancy set up a dual boot.

But give it a chance man, it might suit you after you get used to it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 schmills

i'd stay away from vista from what i've heard about it.

It looks great and does some groovey things. But there are too many problems with it. A mate of mine bought a new PC with top of the range specs, and it caused nothing but hassle for him. Keep losing devices- a lot of drives arent availble for vista yet.

For this reason, I'm holding off getting a new PC with vista , until microsoft release at least 1 service pack for it.

Remember it was the same for XP , took at least 18 months until it was stable.

Cheers,

Schmills

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

No. Vista = pain, XP = Less pain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

It ran slow for me for a few days while the indexing indexed all files for searching. The constant disk noise nearly drove me crazy! It's fast now but there are some annoying bugs.

That's normal? Thank Fcuk for that. I was wondering if my new laptop took a nasty bump in transit and screwed the HDD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

If some of you are only interested in the visual aspect of Vista, then why not just run XP with a Vista theme pack?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,063 ✭✭✭BKtje

have vista ultimate at home and would never ever go back to XP by choice...unfortunately im stuck with it at work.
    I have been running it for almost a year now with minimal problems and most stuff i do regularly is easier. That said i have had one hell of a problem getting Java programming tools to work properly and my pc is a high spec.

One thing that does annoy me in Vista is the fast lock option from XP is gone (ie ctrl+alt+del then k) though im sure there is some other shortcut that i just need to find.

B-K-DzR wrote:
    have vista ultimate at home and would never ever go back to XP by choice...unfortunately im stuck with it at work.
    I have been running it for almost a year now with minimal problems and most stuff i do regularly is easier. That said i have had one hell of a problem getting Java programming tools to work properly.

One thing that does annoy me in Vista is the fast lock option from XP is gone (ie ctrl+alt+del then k) though im sure there is some other shortcut that i just need to find.
    Does Windows key + L work?

ooooh never realised that worked. WIll try when i get home, cheers!

worked a charm, thanks.

Advertisement