Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

feedback on new piece in the making

Options
  • 12-07-2007 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭

alright, so finally made some headway and actually started sketching (badly) the gist of the piece im planing on getting in october.

basically, it's gonna be about 3inches X 3 inches, on my inner ankle kinda area.

will be a polar bear, with 7 words above it, and 7 words below.. it's a very very personal one, very symbolic, very important to me, so i want to make sure i dont fúck it up and i get it looking as good as i can.

first question... polar bears are white... and i have very pale skin.. my mind is racing... should i get it filled in white? should i do shading in black? should i have it line drawn in black, but with hints of colour in the shading, ie distinguishing legs from body... should i just have an outline... i dont know... any ideas? experiences with anything of the sort and just general opinions.

second question, the writing.. ill NEVER be able to draw that the exact way i want it done.. is there usually a way to clear that with the tattooist, that i can see the whole piece as it will be BEFORE it's on my leg? bear in mind that im gettin this done in new zealand, so i want it as close to perfect as possible before i go over, and i want to know exactly what i want and what to say and stuffs.

and yeah, i know it's my piece, and my opinion, but im swamped with ideas, and dont have much experience with tattoos... so ill take all your input in... cant promise ill follow your advice... but i promise to consider it anyway :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bounty_hunter

Polar bears actually aren't white, for a start :) Their skin is white, but their fur is actually transparent, and therefore it tends to take on slightly different colouring depending on the bear's surroundings. So that basically means you can choose a tone that suits your skin without it looking unrealistic, but white will work perfectly if done correctly.

How to draw white isn't something you need to worry about, your artist should be well able to transfer the correct colour into tattoo form for you. I think it would look best filled in white, but with a distinctive outline, and then the important bit to make it look right is the shading. One of my pieces is going to include a polar bear as well, and I personally think shading in icy blue tones rather than black looks a lot nicer. I have very pale skin as well, and the blue seems to look better against my skin so chances are it will with yours too.

As for the writing, have you tried having a look for fonts online? The problem with writing is that most artists will want to do it from a stencil, and so if you're going to be asking them to draw up a font for you this will take time and you'll have to wait, but if you take exactly what you want ready prepared they can just make up a stencil from it straight away. Therefore it's a good idea to have your font ready.

Is there a person connected to this special meaning of your tattoo? Maybe you could have them draw up the writing for you and use their handwriting to make it more personal? Just a suggestion.
    Once you go with everything prepared the artist can stencil it onto your skin to show you what it'll look like.
    Hope this is of some use.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

Polar bears actually aren't white, for a start :) Their skin is white, but their fur is actually transparent, and therefore it tends to take on slightly different colouring depending on the bear's surroundings. So that basically means you can choose a tone that suits your skin without it looking unrealistic, but white will work perfectly if done correctly.

beautiful! :D thanks! so you reckon i should get it filled in, anyway? and i like that about being able to use different tones and the likes, should be good, easy enough to manage.
    How to draw white isn't something you need to worry about, your artist should be well able to transfer the correct colour into tattoo form for you. I think it would look best filled in white, but with a distinctive outline, and then the important bit to make it look right is the shading. One of my pieces is going to include a polar bear as well, and I personally think shading in icy blue tones rather than black looks a lot nicer. I have very pale skin as well, and the blue seems to look better against my skin so chances are it will with yours too.

i love you i love you i love you I LOVE YOU!! hehe, that's all exactly the kinda stuff i wanted to find out. sounds about perfect :D
    As for the writing, have you tried having a look for fonts online? The problem with writing is that most artists will want to do it from a stencil, and so if you're going to be asking them to draw up a font for you this will take time and you'll have to wait, but if you take exactly what you want ready prepared they can just make up a stencil from it straight away. Therefore it's a good idea to have your font ready.

Is there a person connected to this special meaning of your tattoo? Maybe you could have them draw up the writing for you and use their handwriting to make it more personal? Just a suggestion.
    Once you go with everything prepared the artist can stencil it onto your skin to show you what it'll look like.
    Hope this is of some use.

hehe, yeah, its very connected to a special person, so that is a brilliant idea. duno if twill quite pan out, but its definitely something to try. otherwise, just PRINT up a font! duh! >_< now why the hell didnt i think of that?!*

*i dont actually want an answer to this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bounty_hunter

Glad I could help. I ain't showing you my polar bear though ;)

NOW im really intrigued!!!

haha, i said it to my guy (the inspiration) about maybe writing the lettering for me, he thought twas an awesome idea!

hopefully gonna try some serious sketching of the bear tomorrow, my arty farty mate is comin over...

i think i almost have an exact picture in my head now, which is somethign good to work with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

Just so you know white ink will take a more yellow appearance after a couple of years.

• Advertisement

ah.

thankyou... that is important info to be having... we'll work with that in mind :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭Fantasy_Suicide

Can ya throw up pics of these sketches?

not yet :(

progress was stunted last night by unwelcome contact from an ex followed by my increasing illness (i got some good news earlier the day, and i think the excitement manifested itself in the form of lots of not-goodness in my head and stomach).

hopefully next week though... this will probably just keep dragging out, but we did establish (together) what i wanted, so that's further than we were this time last week :)

Advertisement