Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting web site onto lal the search engines

Options
  • 12-07-2007 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

I'm newish to building and publishing websites.

Can ppl recommend a good service/company that will get your website on the main search engines for a decent price.
    Is there any pitfalls to watch out for.

Do meta tags in your web pages still work with search engines these days?

Many thanks

Jason

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

getting your site listed high on search engines is a time consuming task so expect to pay a considerable amount of money to get it done right. Depending on the keywords you're looking for you could pay 1500 euro rising quickly to 6k for a 6 month campaign.

Services boasting to submit your site to 1000s of search engines are best ignored, there are about 10 search engines and directories that are worthwhile

If you have the time, do it yourself, http://searchenginewatch.com/ is a good place to start.

Yes meta tags work in some engines but not all, best way to get ranked is to write relevant content and get other sites of similar content to link to you. Offer content people are looking for, a blog perhaps...

Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

if you built your site correctly, its not too much trouble, that's the key tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

GG66 wrote:
    best way to get ranked is to write relevant content and get other sites of similar content to link to you. Offer content people are looking for, a blog perhaps...
    I second this.

Also use words/phrases in your text that people would be search for. You need to think what would people search for when looking for content like yours not what you *want* people to search for - if that makes sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭barrett1965

The 'title' is also very important. Make sure it's concise and relevant. Also, try to include key words in the first paragraph of the body text (what Axer said). This is what I've done with my site and I found it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

If you want to outsource it then try http://www.2bscene.ie or http://www.redcardinal.ie

Alternatively you can do it yourself... there's plenty of info available online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭jasonh

thanks for all your comments - I think I'll do it myself then.
    And also put good keywords in the meta tags/title/1st para.

Thanks again

Jason

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

The 'title' is also very important. Make sure it's concise and relevant. Also, try to include key words in the first paragraph of the body text (what Axer said). This is what I've done with my site and I found it works.
    Also try to have a different title for each page. Do not name the index page "Welcome!" or similar. And do not, under any circumstances, use a Flash only or Javascript only menu system.

Regards...jmcc

Advertisement