Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boxing on tv this weekend(and there is a lot)

• 12-07-2007 5:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭

Right we've got one hell of a weekend of boxing and a lot of it's available on the box .

Friday: Sky Sports 1-10 pm
    Carl Johanneson v Leva Kirakosyan(champion) for the European Super Featherweight title , this is actually a rematch as Kirakosyan chinned Johanneson in a round in the first fight . Should be an absolute war , both guys can punch and both are vulnerable . My money would be on Johanneson to get revenge .

undercard sees up and coming Light-Welterweight John Fewkes take on Tontcho Tonchev , Tonchev is a former European Super Featherweight champion and lost his last fight in a challenge for the European Lightweight crown . I've been impressed by what I've seen from Fewkes but this is a big step up , however I think he may rise to it .

Rendall Munroe who challenged for the British Featherweight title this year is building himself back up fighting decent journeyman Dai Davies .

In a rematch of a very good one Patrick Maxwell takes on Geard Ajetovic , the first fight was a draw and this should be a decent one .

Saturday- ITV4 :8pm
    Nicky Cook v Steven Luevano-vacant WBO Featherweight title
    Cook has been waiting such a long time for a World title shot and was WBC mandatory for over a year before he decided to challenge Scott Harrison(in a fight that fell apart) . I've never seen Luevano put he's meant to be decent and this is seen as 50/50 .

ITV1 :9:10pm Amir Khan v Willie Limond(champion) for the Commonwealth Lightweight title , Khan fights for his first domestic title against his hardest opponent yet . Limond is okay , but has been inactive and I expect Khan to win a wide decision .

Matt Skelton(champion) v Michael Sprott-Commonwealth Heavyweight title , in a rematch Sprott looks to gain revenge as Skelton looks to distance himself from Frank Warren's merry go round by putting himself above the other 3 . I fancy Skelton to win on points this time .

ITV4 : 11:15pm Kevin Mitchell v Alexander Hrulev for WBO intercontinental bauble , The only positive on Hrulev's record is a draw with Mauricio Pastrana . I reckon Mitchell by decision .

We may see some undercard fights with Bradley Pryce(champion) v Anthony Small-Commonwealth Light-Middleweight title , Matthew Marsh in what will be a war with Rocky Dean at Super Bantamweight , Graham Earl's comeback and Matthew Hall v Martin Concepcion .

RTE 2-10pm(note that this is probably the same time as Skelton v Sprott II so you'll have to pick and choose)

John Duddy v Alessio Furlan , Furlan has lasted the distance with some decent fighters and it took Sylvester(European champion) till the 12th to stop him . With that said Reda Zam Zam knocked him out in the first and Zam Zam isn't even a puncher at Light-Middleweight . Any stoppage before the 7th is good for Duddy I suppose and he definitely should stop this guy . Furlan is a domestic level Italian fighter , a former Italian Light-Middleweight champion and holder of a regional IBF bauble .
    Considering Duddy is fighting 5 weeks later it's an okay opponent .

undercard sees Paul McCloskey , Eugene Heaney , Stephen Haughian , Patrick Hyland , Declin Timlin .

Haughian has the toughest task fighting Gary O'Connor who gave Tony Doherty a very tough fight .

Sky Sports1 : 2am and here comes the serious stuff .
    Antonio Margarito(champion) v Paul Williams-WBO Welterweight title
    Should be a great fight and I fancy Margarito to be too tough for the giant Williams .

Kermit Cintron(champion) v Walter Matthysse-IBF Welterweight title
    Margarito victim Cintron has earned his own title and won't want to give it up in his first defence . This is too chinny bangers going at it with a combined record of 53 wins 50 by ko and each suffering a defeat(by stoppage) this one is bound to produce a knockout . What's interesting is that aswell as Cintron's only defeat being to Margarito , Matthysse' only defeat is to Williams . A sort of battle of the loser . I fancy Cintron to win here .

Then the return of Arturo Gatti as he faces exciting brawler from The Contender Alfonso Gomez . Gomez has a win(and a loss) over Peter Manfredo , we should see non stop action here and if Gatti has anything left he should win .

We might get to see someone from the undercard/s(it's actually two different cards brought together as one viewing by the magic of tv) which has Heavyweight Chris Arreola who I suppose could be called a contender now that he has achieved a #10 Ring ranking . Arreola is 20-0-0(18 ko's) but his Ring ranking has lost a lot of fans fate in the magazine and their ranking and in truth he's not even top 20 . He should win by knockout here he's facing a journeyman .

others we might see is Andre Ward the Olympic Light Heavyweight Gold medalist who is now fighting at Super Middleweight . He faces Francisco Diaz(16-1-0) , should be a good fight and a tough test for prospect Ward .

Another we may see(although it might take some early knockouts) is Middleweight prospect Giovanni Lorenzo , Lorenzo faces Sherwin Davis(18-4-0) .

I however will be in Germany for the weekend and shall miss all that . The only thing that might save me is I may get to see Luan Krasniqui v Anthony Thompson in a WBO Heavyweight eliminator .
    Prospects Dimitrenko and Boytsov are on the undercard..............probably around 9/10 pm Saturday night on 2DF , just incase anyones interested ;)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Thats a great amount amount of good boxing-thanks for that..

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭sligobhoy67

thats sexual!!! cant wait

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,092 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

also Roy Jones is fighting Hanshaw on Friday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Big Ears

also Roy Jones is fighting Hanshaw on Friday.

PM Bernard Hopkins , he might know what channel it is on if you're interested in seeing it . I have a sneaky suspicion it will be on Eurosport in a little while anyway but if you feel like staying up late and don't want to wait .

Can't believe I'm missing so much boxing :( , looks like I've a lot of downloading to do when I get back :p .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,092 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Big Ears wrote:
    PM Bernard Hopkins , he might know what channel it is on if you're interested in seeing it . I have a sneaky suspicion it will be on Eurosport in a little while anyway but if you feel like staying up late and don't want to wait .

Can't believe I'm missing so much boxing :( , looks like I've a lot of downloading to do when I get back :p .

thanks. i checked that place myself but no word of a stream for it at the moment. yes, you'll have a great time watching it all. enjoy wherever you're going!

• Advertisement
Advertisement