Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

three usb modem install woes?

Options
  • 12-07-2007 7:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭

just got my new 3 usb modem to work on my new inspiron 6400 lappy.

but i cant get it to install?
    i didnt get a cd with it (i presume no one did)
    an install guide doesnt pop up when i plug in the modem

ive tried 4 different usb ports on my lappy and used the dual usb cable option but still no good.

can anyone help?

ps i had a previous version of the 3 pcmcia card drivers installed but i unstalled that. could that be affecting it??

im going mad here! thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

It takes a few minutes for it to fully recognise the device and autorun the install - how long did you leave it plugged in? I'm not sure if this is an issue or not but there were some threads over in the Mobiles & PDAs forum about installation problems if you're running Vista.. might be wothwhile going back through a few of those threads...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

This has been covered in another thread, sometimes windows will bock the modem from installing so you have to disable some of the processes that run in the background. its easy enough just use msconfig...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭slemons

thanks, but ive searched now for the last hour and cant find the win xp guide.
    can you link to it please?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

slemons wrote:
    thanks, but ive searched now for the last hour and cant find the win xp guide.
    can you link to it please?

I had no problems installing on XP - but I remember either on some threads here or on the documentation supplied with the modem, there were recommendations to disable any anti-virus program you may have running in the background..

ok thanks i'll have a go again tomorrow, i have a new dell inspiron and it came bundled with all kinds of anti-stuff crap. i'll shut em all off...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

i had problems installing mine too, it kept crashing my pc, but it was to do with a n anti-virus program that updated itself automatically from the net, it was trying to connect to the internet before the bloody usb device, so i had to un-install that (theres probably an easier way to do it!) and then i installed the 3 device and re-installed the anti virus. it works , but the broadband is muck so il prob be turfing it out!!

well inm on dialup here so its surely better than that! its even poor dialup. doesnt connect most of the time. Dialup is expensive crap too. over €40 last month i think

i'll try all that uninstalling stuff after so. thanks...

well, i tried again with everything antivirus turned off and still no luck with the 3 usb modem. it just wont install.

But i did get a loan of my bro's usb vodafone dongle. its the exact piece of kit huawei e220 and it installed fine first time!!!

Now i couldnt get a signal out of it but at least it installed.

so i dont know what to do now.i think im going to be cancelling my order with 3 anyway. its jsut no good for me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

You can get a CD off them in the shop I think that also has the software on it. I'm not sure though, I just remember reading it on another thread here.

That might help get you up and running. Its weird that it wouldn't work on your machine though. Do you have autorun enabled? Does it detect the device with the new hardware wizard (icon in bottom right for new hardware)?

If you can provide any of that info then we might be able to pinpoint where the problem is occurring. you can check in device manager if it has found the hardware but not installed a driver, it will have a yellow icon beside it with a question mark on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Edit the settings for Vodaphone to the 3 settings. The same SW will work with same mobel of 3 USB modem.

• Advertisement

does anyone know what the story is with the 14 day money back guarantee?
    hows do i go about this?

i'll try install it again tonight with your advice brim and note everything but it doenst look good...

i think the 3 usb modem is broken. in my computer a cd: drive pops up when i plug the modem in but it doesnt attempt to autorun. all that happens is explorer hangs

the equivalent vodafoen usb modem installed perfectly on the same laptop

ive since deleted the vodafone software

could anyone here post the 3 software online? im sure you can rip it off a working usb modem?
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

slemons wrote:
    i'll try install it again tonight with your advice brim and note everything but it doenst look good...

i think the 3 usb modem is broken. in my computer a cd: drive pops up when i plug the modem in but it doesnt attempt to autorun. all that happens is explorer hangs

the equivalent vodafoen usb modem installed perfectly on the same laptop

ive since deleted the vodafone software

could anyone here post the 3 software online? im sure you can rip it off a working usb modem?
    thanks

I wouldn't be so sure it's broken.. Mine does the very same thing on my husband's laptop but works perfectly on mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Papad

slemons wrote:

Use windows to uninstall the Vodafone and 3 software (if it managed to do any of the install).

Try a different USB port (without the supplement power).

Wait a few minutes for it to load. If it doesn't, reboot.

If the drive appears on My Computer, manually run the Autorun.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 mysterion

I've got exactly the same issues with a failure to install correctly on XP. Could you elaborate on "manually run the Autorun" Papad? I'm using the modem to write this on a mac (boards pings at 500ms from rural Mayo for those who are interested) so I know it works... but while XP seems to recognise it and installs the drivers, it just treats it as a CD drive as others have reported.

3 have instructions on their website for Mac's I think. It isn't as plug and play as on Windows.

mysterion wrote:
    I've got exactly the same issues with a failure to install correctly on XP. Could you elaborate on "manually run the Autorun" Papad?

Run Windows Explorer in XP or go into My Computer and there should be a new CD drive called Mobile_Connect. If not, then it ain't going to work. If there is, then double-click on the Autorun executable. And even after a few minutes, if it still doesn't work, do a reboot (and wait for it to kick in).

It was a mass storage drive on my computer I think.

If it doesn't work in one USB port try another as XP will recognise it as a new device again and install the driver again.

i managed to install it last night. i used a mates laptop to rip the drivers off the 3usb modem and then copied them to my laptop and installed manually and it worked.

well it worked in so far as the app runs and recognises the modem but i hadnt been able to pick up any signal or get online at all.

It was said there might be 24hours of a wait before it gets activated. this might be my prob now. we'll see

thanks everyone

Thanks for the reply Papad. In My computer I'm seeing a drive appear and disappear constantly, If I can access it at all it appear empty...no files visible. Anyone got a link to the relevant XP drivers for this thing before I hurl a cavity block on top of it?

• Advertisement

Called 3 support (in India I assume) yesterday. Really pleasant and helpful and told me that the next available technician would call me in 5-6 hours (11-12pm GMT)...needless to say I'm still waiting.

Any chance that someone who has installed this successfully could copy the installer off the modem and post it? Thanks.

mysterion wrote:
    Called 3 support (in India I assume) yesterday. Really pleasant and helpful and told me that the next available technician would call me in 5-6 hours (11-12pm GMT)...needless to say I'm still waiting.

Any chance that someone who has installed this successfully could copy the installer off the modem and post it? Thanks.

If you cannot read the files on the modem (mass storage device), then there may be something wrong with the modem itself. The file size for the setup of the modem itself is 6 1/2 MB, then you have another couple of megs for the drivers and the driver setup. I'd compress them and send them to you but my 3 broadband is very slow today. Maybe try for a replacement from the shop where you bought it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭StealthRolex

Welcome to the pain Slemons.

There is no activation period. If you have paid your money it will work as soon as the install is complete. You may need a reboot but that's all.

Happy surfing at 56K :)

Advertisement