Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walking in cleats

Options
  • 12-07-2007 8:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

Just started wearing spds this week. I'm using them on my commute for practice while i'm waiting for my new bike to be delivered. My question is does walking ruin the cleats? I walk in them in my garden and through the house and when i get to work for about 50 yards, sometimes 100 yards.

Will this destroy them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

spd ones should be fine, they're mostly metal. If you're really worried, you can get shoes with a deep thread and this will be lower than the cleats when you walk so they won't touch the ground at all.

I use looks and I have little plastic covers for them whenever I'm doind significant walking. That said, I still need to replace them every so ofetn but a pack of 6 is only 20 euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cunnins4

I've got 105s they seem to be the exact same as look pedals afaik (i don't know much though!) The cleats are the plastic part i screwed into the bottom of the shoe yeah? i'm just worried about totally destroying them really quickly!

edit: just did a search there-they're spd-sl cleats if that makes any sense?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭ruprect

If you look online the store sometimes sort by road & mountain bike ones. MTB ones are more like runners, I figure since they will be walking more, an putting the foot down more.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Well, if they're SPD-SL, then walking in them is the fastest way to wear them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

i was out for a ride today and i went into a shop wearing my shoes with the look
    cleats and 2 people asked me what the hell i had on my feet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Yes, SPD-SL are protruding road bike cleats and not what people generally mean when they say plain "SPD" (e.g. = recessed cleats originally designed for mountain bikes.)

SPD you can walk in to a point as they are recessed, certainly, it depends on the shoe really as to how practical this is.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mucco

cunnins4 wrote:
    Just started wearing spds this week. I'm using them on my commute for practice while i'm waiting for my new bike to be delivered. My question is does walking ruin the cleats? I walk in them in my garden and through the house and when i get to work for about 50 yards, sometimes 100 yards.

Will this destroy them?

Walking a few hundred metres will eventually wear them out, but cleats aren't that expensive, so I wouldn't worry about it. Mtb SPDs are recessed, and could be better for short commutes - they also make cool sparks when you drag your shoe on concrete footpaths :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

blorg wrote:
    Yes, SPD-SL are protruding road bike cleats and not what people generally mean when they say plain "SPD" (e.g. = recessed cleats originally designed for mountain bikes.)

SPD you can walk in to a point as they are recessed, certainly, it depends on the shoe really as to how practical this is.

grrrrh, damn you and your superior vocalulary. That took me at least two sentences to explain badly :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭crashoveroid

With Spd-sl cleats there are not as good as look cleats and wear out twice as quick its been a problem that shimano have had since the start i would say if you can find cleat covers and use them.

Advertisement