Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

lionel messi goal vs mexico

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭V9

That is sheer class. What age is he? 19? 20? He will have some career

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Jesus, that is absolutely sublime

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

Looks like he knew 5 minutes before, what he was gonna do! Sublime......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

awesome goal by messi

rooney scored a similar one didn't he vs portsmouth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Reminds me of Poborsky in Euro 96. Sweet goal though.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 368 ✭✭wanabe

wat a goal!!!!! sheer class!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

The New Maradonna

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Good goal, but nothing incredible.

The question I ask is; do we have to see a new thread everytime Messi does something? I'm just waiting for "Messi drops a fierce load in the bog".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Everytime messi does something incredible,yea i'm sure we will,and rightly so. if u don't like it,don't read it.People can post up watever threads they want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

I think it was totally over-rated. Not a bad goal by any means, but nothing particularly special.

And, of course, not a patch on this one:
    http://www.dailymotion.com/relevance/search/mendieta/video/x131pb_wonder-goal-by-mendieta-against-bar/1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭keltoms

The question I ask is; do we have to see a new thread everytime Messi does something? I'm just waiting for "Messi drops a fierce load in the bog".

obviously not a football player *shakes head*:rolleyes:

Unbelievable goal. His goal against Getafe earlier this year was out of this world as well.

And Raskolnikov, why the cynicism, this is soccer discussion, and fans of soccer will appreciate such a piece of skill and class. If u dont like it or dont wanna discuss soccer then why r u here?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

i`m with you on this one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Most goalies would have tipped it over I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

mr_angry wrote:
    I think it was totally over-rated. Not a bad goal by any means, but nothing particularly special.

And, of course, not a patch on this one:
    http://www.dailymotion.com/relevance/search/mendieta/video/x131pb_wonder-goal-by-mendieta-against-bar/1
    that one is no better then Rooney vs Newcastle, Scholes vs Bradford, Scholes vs Villa, right off thetop of my head. Probably a lot of other sweet volleys just as good as that tbh - Mendes hits a couple every season, and Tugay knows how to hit them too.

SofaKing wrote:
    Most goalies would have tipped it over I think.
    Oscar Sanchez is a very good goalie. And most goalies would have been expecting a low and powerful shot.

How people dont appreciate this is beyond me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

Call me bias, but i think rooney's was just as good, if not better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pcV_tHKyNM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Oscar Sanchez is a very good goalie. And most goalies would have been expecting a low and powerful shot.

How people dont appreciate this is beyond me
    Oh, i dont mean hes a bad goalie. What I mean is that he's 'only' 6ft and he nearly got to it. Most other keepers seem to be 6ft2+ and may have a better chance of tipping it over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Messi's was better imo because he got the ball so high from within the box and then dropped into the goal. Rooney's was good too.

Mossy Monk wrote:
    Messi's was better imo because he got the ball so high from within the box and then dropped into the goal. Rooney's was good too.
    Considering the angles, i don't think there is much of a diference in the distance the ball travelled in either case - messi's was in the box, but from a much wider angle.

• Advertisement

Tauren wrote:
    Considering the angles, i don't think there is much of a diference in the distance the ball travelled in either case - messi's was in the box, but from a much wider angle.
    The single most important difference is Messi was running while Rooney was standin still and lined it up

The single most important difference is Messi was running while Rooney was standin still and lined it up
    they were both moving with the ball....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

I think Messi's is slightly more aesthetically pleasing than Rooneys

gustavo wrote:
    I think Messi's is slightly more aesthetically pleasing than Rooneys
    meh - i like the ball going in off the bar always makes a goal look cooler!:cool:

Tauren wrote:
    they were both moving with the ball....
    Yea but Rooney had the time and space to slow down and line it up, Messi was under pressure from defenders. I forgot that he did that at the end of a run, thought he slowed down and set it up. But he was still under less pressure.

Yea but Rooney had the time and space to slow down and line it up, Messi was under pressure from defenders. I forgot that he did that at the end of a run, thought he slowed down and set it up. But he was still under less pressure.
    Messi had plenty of time and space when he got the ball - and the defender was no closer to him then campbel was to rooney. Also, Rooney had to get the ball over a much taller keeper - the margin of error on rooney's shot was smaller, given then Messi's shot didn't go top corner - Rooney's had to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

Here, this is stupid. It's a great goal. So was Rooney's. There are better goals, obviously, but this is pretty impressive nonetheless. Given what Messi can do, and has proven himself to be able to do, it's not at all surprising that people will get excited when we see examples of his brilliance. He could turn out to be one of the greatest players ever and, while it's of course important to keep some sort of perspective, players like him are the reason why I'm a soccer fan - stop deconstructing everything so thoroughly!

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭rahim

Tauren wrote:
    meh - i like the ball going in off the bar always makes a goal look cooler!:cool:

Have to agree with you there, I love the sound (when you hear it) when the ball goes in off the post or the bar, it always makes the goal look better too for some reason.
    Great goal by Messi though, what a good player.

rahim wrote:
    Have to agree with you there, I love the sound (when you hear it) when the ball goes in off the post or the bar, it always makes the goal look better too for some reason.
    Great goal by Messi though, what a good player.
    Tony Yeboah!!! :cool: :cool:

Loved Zidanes penalty in the WC Final too!

• Advertisement

Tony Yeboah!!! :cool: :cool:

Loved Zidanes penalty in the WC Final too!

Zidanes penalty was class alright, bit cheeky and it looked like it was going to back-fire terribly but I'm pretty sure he knew exactly what was going to happen. You'd need some balls to try that in a WC final tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Tauren wrote:
    not many people would agree what the best goal ever is, its very opinionated, if you wanted to be ridiculous you could argue that the ball going in off the cross bar means your shot was slighlty less accurate than it should be therefore not as skillful ;)
    as a pal of mine said when he was about 14 "anything that goes anywhere near the top corner always looks better than nailing it low!!"

As a Liverpool fan, I would consider Djimi Traoré's back heal into his own net the best goal I've ever seen. Why did we sell him again??? Oh, yeah, because he did stuff like that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭keltoms

Here, this is stupid. It's a great goal. So was Rooney's. There are better goals, obviously, but this is pretty impressive nonetheless. Given what Messi can do, and has proven himself to be able to do, it's not at all surprising that people will get excited when we see examples of his brilliance. He could turn out to be one of the greatest players ever and, while it's of course important to keep some sort of perspective, players like him are the reason why I'm a soccer fan - stop deconstructing everything so thoroughly!

Thank you!! *claps hands*

people that thread name is "lionel messi goal vs mexico" - not "Whats the best goal you have ever seen?" so stop posting comments saying that such and suches goal was better! - class goal by a class player (full stop!)

keltoms wrote:
    Thank you!! *claps hands*

people that thread name is "lionel messi goal vs mexico" - not "Whats the best goal you have ever seen?" so stop posting comments saying that such and suches goal was better! - class goal by a class player (full stop!)

I think it is a class goal, but a few people were giving out that it was all opinion etc, of course its opinion, most of the stuff on here is. I posted that thing bout Djimi as a joke, wasn't serious, was just trying (poorly) to point out to those people that anyone could choose any goal as their favorite or the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭Peter Collins

Messi's a good player alright, but I've seen thousands of better goals that don't get their own thread.

It's just the usual OTT hype.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Messi's a good player alright, but I've seen thousands of better goals that don't get their own thread.
    I hope the catering was top notch for the games in which those goals were scored?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Im a Messi fan and cant wait to see how he plays in 2010 (so long as he doesnt whack a few past us :D) but was nobody bar me more awed by the free that Heinze caught and hit in? Brilliant free by whover took it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

kinaldo wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faustino_Asprilla

Did Asprilla really play for some team in Ireland???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

cheesedude wrote:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faustino_Asprilla

Did Asprilla really play for some team in Ireland???
    never trust wikipedia!

• Advertisement
Advertisement