Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tony Blair's possible visit to Ballyshannon ?..

Options
  • 12-07-2007 10:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭

Tony Blair has been envited to visit Ballyshannon. Personally I believe as his Grandmother was from Ballyshannon and the fact that he spent many holiday's there as a boy. He should be welcomed without fear or favour.

He is no longer the British Prime Minister and as he IMHO contributed more than any other British Prime Minister to bringing about peace to Northern Ireland. He should accept the invitation.

I have heard a lot of objection's to him visiting on radio phone in programmes.People are entitled to their view, what do you think ?...

Maybe this should be a Poll and if the moderator's agree, please amend this thread if you feel it would help gauge public opinion.

P. :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Well, if Ian Paisley can have a church in Convoy, Blair's visit shouldn't be a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

smashey wrote:
    Well, if Ian Paisley can have a church in Convoy, Blair's visit shouldn't be a problem.

Totally agree:) .

P.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭ctc_celtic

Paddy20 wrote:
    I have heard a lot of objection's to him visiting on radio phone in programmes.

really can't see why there would be any objections, especially seen he spend alot of time there in his youth.
    would these objections be along the lines of 'he agreed to the Iraq war,,,blah blah'
    It would be good publicity for the North-west and Ballyshannon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Paddy20 wrote:
    Tony Blair has been envited to visit Ballyshannon. Personally I believe as his Grandmother was from Ballyshannon and the fact that he spent many holiday's there as a boy. He should be welcomed without fear or favour.

He is no longer the British Prime Minister and as he IMHO contributed more than any other British Prime Minister to bringing about peace to Northern Ireland. He should accept the invitation.

I have heard a lot of objection's to him visiting on radio phone in programmes.People are entitled to their view, what do you think ?...

Maybe this should be a Poll and if the moderator's agree, please amend this thread if you feel it would help gauge public opinion.

Despite what I would consider his failings in Iraq and his bowing down to the Bush administration, I think he should be praised for working his nuts off trying to bring peace to NI. He should indeed be welcomed over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭donegalman1

His work in Northern Ireland and the publicity for Ballyshannon would auger well for a visit, even the local Sinn Fein members of the Town Council would probably agree.

I reckon he would get a much better reception than he will as a middle east envoy in the Middle East.

I imagine the real reason for inviting him would be to publicise Ballyshannon though.

True, the county suffered a lot from the troubles, but if the peace process was the reason, then they'd need to send a lot of invitations across the border too. He didn't create peace, just wasn't reliant on unionist votes and wanted a legacy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

nice to see he is welcome.

As stated earlier, his views on Iraq was not the best judgement of all time but he has been good to ireland, and has not been afraid to get envolved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Carrickman

Agree with the points above I would have no problem with him visiting Ballyshannon either!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Martyr

i have a problem with it, only because noone else has :p
    any iraqis living in the north west? would really like to know what they think.

i have a problem with it, only because noone else has :p
    any iraqis living in the north west? would really like to know what they think.

Any Iraqis living in the North West would just have to accept it.

accept what?..coming to visit donegal?
    and what if he does? what is so great about that?

i couldn't care less if he were standing in my kitchen making a cup of tea, let alone in ballyshannon gettin his butt kissed by the locals, and bummed by the local media just because he was once priminister of the UK.

i'm not dismissing his contribution to peace in northern ireland, but thats about the only positive thing he can look back upon and be proud of.

i will remember him more for deciding to send troops to a foreign land where men, women and children are bombed, shot, raped and murdered everyday, all while being covered up by the puppet government put in place there, all in the name of "war of terror" - what a sick joke.

people bombed out of their land, into countries like ireland, for $$$
    i don't forget the oppression of the british as easily as some of you here.

who cares about him? ..some ill-informed donegal people? big deal.

• Advertisement

You said you would like to know what any Iraqis living here would think. Well, in my opinion, if an invitation is extended to Tony Blair and he accepts, then they would just have to accept the fact that he will be visiting Ballyshannon.

I don't recall saying that this would be great.

And, who are the ill-informed Donegal people?

who is ill-informed? i would say anyone, including the media who makes an occasion and celebration of his visit, like he's some innocent celebrity pop star.

how ironic he manages to get a deal between both communities in the north of ireland before he retires, while at the same time being partly responsible for igniting a deeper divide and full blown civil war in iraq between the shi'ite/sunni communities..you would expect a bit more sense from a man like that, given the history of the conflict between ireland/britain..but hey, we can forgive him for his errors because he visited ballyshannon a few times as a kid.

its just as well ireland doesn't have most of the worlds oil under its feet, like iraq/iran and other arab states do.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,100 ✭✭✭✭muffler

like he's some innocent celebrity pop star.
    Who's the other one then?

who is ill-informed? i would say anyone, including the media who makes an occasion and celebration of his visit, like he's some innocent celebrity pop star.

how ironic he manages to get a deal between both communities in the north of ireland before he retires, while at the same time being partly responsible for igniting a deeper divide and full blown civil war in iraq between the shi'ite/sunni communities..you would expect a bit more sense from a man like that, given the history of the conflict between ireland/britain..but hey, we can forgive him for his errors because he visited ballyshannon a few times as a kid.

its just as well ireland doesn't have most of the worlds oil under its feet, like iraq/iran and other arab states do.

The Sh'ite and Sunni communities in Iraq never needed much help in having a go at each other.

@muffler: what do you mean? are you being pedantic? or asking a question? i don't understand..

@smashey: why are the US military funding both sunni/shi'ite militants? - answer

the government in iraq is mainly Shi'ite, supported by the US government. The US military has admitted funding the Sunni insurgents, to fight Shi'ites...make any sense to you?

so the shi'ite militants funded by the current iraqi government (who are funded and supported by the US) are going into sunni areas and killing people, while sunnis funded by the us military (and apparently saudis) are killing shi'ites..makes you think, doesn't it?

also, why were british special forces captured by iraqi police planting car bombs dressed as insurgents - proof

how did stolen cars from the US end up being used as car bombs in iraq? - read this

i am in no doubt whatsoever that the current violence in iraq was instigated by the 'Divide and Conquer' strategy, that the british used here in ireland years ago (remember 1916 civil war) and also with northern ireland...

the civil war is NOT an iraqi thing..it has had alot of 'help' from the outside western governments involved in the invasion, including britain..and i've no doubt that Tony Blair knows ALL about it.

@muffler: what do you mean? are you being pedantic? or asking a question? i don't understand.
    You stated "an innocent celebrity pop star". I dont know of any but Im sure theres one out there and Im just curious as to who it is.

Now regarding the rest of your post. The thread is about Tony Blair's potential visit to Ballyshannon and I want it kept on topic. Posting those links has sweet FA to do with Blair visiting Donegal. So please stay on topic.

Oh, just for the record I never knew there was a civil war in 1916 :rolleyes:

muffler, your ad-hominem approach is pretty childish.
    if you don't have anything substantial to argue back with, don't bother saying anything at all.

and you can ban me from north west forum if you want, but i won't be submissive to some fascist who bans a person everytime they have an opinion you don't agree with.

AverageJoe, you're missing the point here. Paddy20 asked what we thought of a possible visit by Tony Blair. I gave my thoughts and then you launch into a rant about Iraq. Take it to the politics forum.

A visit to Dublin by the Queen has been mentioned a lot in the press recently. I would hate to think of the thousands of links you could come up with as an argument against that one.

i'm not missing any point, smashey.

i don't welcome into my home a war criminal, somebody responsible for sending service men and women to their deaths in a foreign land for money.

Tony blairs conduct on iraq is a perfectly relevant reason to object any celebration of a visit to donegal, regardless of whether he visted ballyshannon as a kid or not.

TBlair is just as much a war criminal as g.w.bush is, and shouldn't be welcomed here.

And another thing too, i'm not anti-british..on the contrary, both my parents are british and i have a british passport. So anybody who wants to make assumptions about who i am, don't bother, you don't know me.

I'm just aware of whats going on in the world, i read about injustice and i'm aware of those responsible.

TBlair is not somebody i would like to see welcomed into donegal by local people or media for that matter.
    it sends out the wrong signals.

its telling the outside world that we support him and his decisions on iraq, which for me atleast..is not the case.

Locked till I get time to deal with this

• Advertisement

muffler, your ad-hominem approach is pretty childish.
    if you don't have anything substantial to argue back with, don't bother saying anything at all.

and you can ban me from north west forum if you want, but i won't be submissive to some fascist who bans a person everytime they have an opinion you don't agree with.
    Oh dear, it appears that I have annoyed you.

Was it because I pointed out that there was no civil war here in 1916. or was it because I asked you nicely to stay on topic?

Now to suggest that I have responded to you in a personal or prejudicial way is absurd as as calling me a fascist.

You cant come on here and refer to me or anyone as a fascist. You cant drag a thread way off topic. You cant attack a poster - attack the post if you wish. If you dont know the forum rules by now then you will have a bit of time to read them and maybe be a wee bit more compliant when you come back again.

Red card - 1 week

i'm not missing any point, smashey.

i don't welcome into my home a war criminal, somebody responsible for sending service men and women to their deaths in a foreign land for money.

Tony blairs conduct on iraq is a perfectly relevant reason to object any celebration of a visit to donegal, regardless of whether he visted ballyshannon as a kid or not.

TBlair is just as much a war criminal as g.w.bush is, and shouldn't be welcomed here.

And another thing too, i'm not anti-british..on the contrary, both my parents are british and i have a british passport. So anybody who wants to make assumptions about who i am, don't bother, you don't know me.

I'm just aware of whats going on in the world, i read about injustice and i'm aware of those responsible.

TBlair is not somebody i would like to see welcomed into donegal by local people or media for that matter.
    it sends out the wrong signals.

its telling the outside world that we support him and his decisions on iraq, which for me atleast..is not the case.

I never said you were anti British. My point regarding the Queen was based on the fact that she is the Queen of the UK and you would probably mention all the countries they (England) have invaded since the year dot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Gronkastic

Blair got a lot wrong during his time in office, but his efforts toward conflict resolution in Ireland was probably amongst his finest work. For that reason alone I welcome him to these shores, if nothing esle, he has always been a friend of this island.

Gronkastic wrote: »
    Blair got a lot wrong during his time in office, but his efforts toward conflict resolution in Ireland was probably amongst his finest work. For that reason alone I welcome him to these shores, if nothing esle, he has always been a friend of this island.
    I suppose the time he was here (nearly 6 years ago) you were about 5 and couldnt use a PC :D

Dont drag up old threads again please.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement