Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stream live tv

Options
  • 12-07-2007 10:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

Is there an irish hosting company that could do the following:

Stream a live football match to 200 users (tests indicate 170mb per user) the service could grow so could be a lot more. For the quality i would like its 170mb per user possibly 4 times monthly so 136gb is a possibilty to start with.

http://hosting.digiweb.ie/hosting/enterprise/windows/

Looking at this it seems to be highest offering from digiweb.

Anyone any other ideas?

kdjac

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Realistically you should be thinking about going for a colo setup if you need that kind of bandwidth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

http://hosting.digiweb.ie/hosting/colocation/

Digiweb have a sort of option but technically i dont need 24/7 just 2 hours once every week or so. It does look like an attractive option tho.

thanks for reply

kdjac

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

You are going to need to be more concerned with your concurrent bandwidth than with your monthly download. Have you even got a streaming server in place, or thought that far?

200 users watching a footie match at the same time at 500kbit per second is going to require a 100 megabit internet connection.

What's your budget?

spockety wrote:
    You are going to need to be more concerned with your concurrent bandwidth than with your monthly download. Have you even got a streaming server in place, or thought that far?

200 users watching a footie match at the same time at 500kbit per second is going to require a 100 megabit internet connection.

What's your budget?

Camera to Encoding PC which uploads to ?????? , the ????? being the thing. I have tested over few different free (p2p, DC) options. To ensure a high quality service i need an ISP to come in and take the upload and deliver it to the users.

Therein lies the problem, the budget is dependant on service and users(obviously) hopefully the users paying will cover the service as its a loss making project, the loss being covered by the club tru other fundraising activities.

/off topic who would have a thunk a thread like this would ever appear on a irish forum :D God bless ireland offline and all who dwell within :D

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭fintan

What about recording the match and then using something like YouTube? Let google worry about bandwidth :)

Im pretty sure if you want to stream live TV, you are going to need some sort of out-side broadcasting type van with a big satellite dish on the roof?

As this will upload the live feed to your server - where it will be streamed from there?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

fintan wrote:
    What about recording the match and then using something like YouTube? Let google worry about bandwidth :)
    Yes, or maybe he could just host it on his Bebo page and share it with all his friends when they have their next sleepover :rolleyes:
    Im pretty sure if you want to stream live TV, you are going to need some sort of out-side broadcasting type van with a big satellite dish on the roof?
    Why are you pretty sure? Do you have any knowledge of television syndication technologies?

To the OP - another route you might want to look at is the use of peer-to-peer clients. The technology has moved on in the last two years or so and a quick Google will bring up a number of them that claim to support live video streaming. If so, a p2p solution would decimate the amount of bandwidth you'll need.

To the OP - another route you might want to look at is the use of peer-to-peer clients. The technology has moved on in the last two years or so and a quick Google will bring up a number of them that claim to support live video streaming. If so, a p2p solution would decimate the amount of bandwidth you'll need.

Been testing that out all week, its a bit hit and miss using winamp peercast and Windows media encoder, i have had favourbale results but obviously limited by my internet.

The live tv would be 29fps 384*288 resolution, once i get it tothe hosting website it gets streamed to various logged in viewers.

The encoding pc is a Fx59 4gb ram so that end is sorted, the big issue is getting it uploaded and then streamed. Gonna see if Digiweb will let me test it before commiting to a years hosting.

Thanks for any advice, any other ideas?

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Are you not going to need a streaming server rather than a web server for this type of job?

I don't know of any Irish hosts that do streaming servers so you would have to look to at least the UK.

Yes, or maybe he could just host it on his Bebo page and share it with all his friends when they have their next sleepover :rolleyes:

Why are you pretty sure? Do you have any knowledge of television syndication technologies?

/QUOTE]

Using youtube while not a very sophisticated solution, would work, obviously a dedicated server, front end and higher quality would be much nicer, but that costs money.

Can you explain, how he gets the live feed from the video camera to the server in the hosting centre? I assumed that it was a football match in the back of beyonds with no broadband available, therefore OB van with satellite.

fintan wrote:
    Can you explain, how he gets the live feed from the video camera to the server in the hosting centre? I assumed that it was a football match in the back of beyonds with no broadband available, therefore OB van with satellite.

We have part nailed down, 2mb upload is enough for the quality we are aiming for only problem is the distribution via hosting/server.

kdjac

• Advertisement

KdjaCL wrote:
    We have part nailed down, 2mb upload is enough for the quality we are aiming for only problem is the distribution via hosting/server.

kdjac

You should have said :)

I assked around and a couple of names that came up are

http://cms.astream.net/
    www.dv4.com

Advertisement