Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEW BUILD Disk Partition Size?

Options
  • 12-07-2007 11:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

HI All

What a good size for partition on a new build 150gb 10,000 rpm Raptor primary drive?

I thinking over 2gb so the system can utilise fat32 filing system.

It wil be running XP pro, have a secondary 500gb drive for storage so space isn't an issue

Would 6GB out of 150GB be too much??

IF anyone could let me know tonight as I have the other machine next to me awaiting instructions lol!!:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭nibble

Why are you using FAT32 and not NTFS? Just don't partition it and defragment often.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

What nibble said ^

Unless your planning on a dual boot system just use the entire raptor drive as your primary drive. So when your installing XP it'll ask which drive to install it to then just select your raptor, format it and then by default it will have the maximum space available as your primary C: partition

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

I don't understand what you're asking? Why are you partitioning your Raptor?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

I agree, i see no reason to partition a raptor. Infact i dont see any point in partitioning at all these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

The only reason I partition is if i'm installing multiple OS's, then i'll need a partition for each OS, and a common storage partition for both OS's.

Otherwise there's no need. If you have a good registry and file system defrag strategy in place then you could leave your system as just one partition.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I still like partitioning, it's a handy way of keeping OS and data seperate, plus you never know when you might want to add a new OS down the road (and I prefer to avoid partition resizing where possible). The minimum size I'd go with is 10Gb, you'll find you will want to install lots of little programs on C: still, some programs even if you choose a different drive will still require space on C:, and you'll want to keep plenty of room free for swap files and maybe a hibernate file too. I've got two OS partitions at the moment, Vista and XP, both partitions are 30Gb and both only have around 12Gb free.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭nibble

Yeah partitioning definately has it's place, if you're runnung a linux distro it's always good to split root, /home and swap into seperate partitions. It's not a bad idea to use a partition just for the swap file on windows either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

RozDev if you are not using multiple operating systems just one then there is no need to partition the drive.

Format both drives with NTFS no need for FAT32 again unless you are running multiple operating systems or have a desire for more than one parition.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭SwampThing

What 8T8 and the rest said - no need or benefit from partitioning a single drive for a single OS install.

You might consider, seeing as you have a second drive, putting your hibernate and swap/page file on it. having the page file on a separate spindle can give some performance benefits.
    The aim is really to spread disk access across as many spindles or disk as possible to minimise any single disk as a bottleneck. considering the page file in particular is accessed constantly by windows, it makes sense to have it on a different drive, or spread over three or four drives if you have them and don't use RAID, but that's another discussion.

Those in the know will tell you to keep the page file at the start of the disk, again for performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

SwampThing wrote:
    What 8T8 and the rest said - no need or benefit from partitioning a single drive for a single OS install.

I quess it's a matter of opinion.

I think that for a one Disk, one OS situation? a separate partition is a fantastic idea?

You keep all those little files & programs that you know you will always want to use/keep or even your driver backups & whatever on the second partition.

If you ever want to reinstall the OS? it just makes life a lot easier as you only need to format the partition that the OS is on & all your other stuff is left alone & waiting for you after you reinstall the OS.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement
Advertisement