Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW 320 i coupe test drive.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,049 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Curran wrote:
    Agreed - i bought a 96 523i with 90k, high spec (with all the luxury ya need ;) ) and for 1/3 the price of a new Golf :D

Here she is.....
    forrestmotors5Sil911.jpg
    forrestmotors5Sil912.jpg

still cant believe thats a 96 curran, lovely car ;)

looks like mine only silver!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

spockety wrote:
    Yeah but you could have had a '02 Toyota Avensis for that money you flaming idiot!!!! :rolleyes:
    Could have had a lot of different cars for that money (not going to call you an idiot cos you'll probably ban me) but not many cars would stand out - by the way i also have a sensible Avensis type car!!

Cyrus wrote:
    still cant believe thats a 96 curran, lovely car ;)

looks like mine only silver!

Cheers Cyrus - at least you understand

Almost like yours - but not the 530d engine i wanted - couldnt afford to buy a new version like yours - which is SWEET !!!!

How's she going for ya!!! Good i hope!! ;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Curran wrote:
    Could have had a lot of different cars for that money (not going to call you an idiot cos you'll probably ban me) but not many cars would stand out - by the way i also have a sensible Avensis type car!!

I was being sarcastic.. (I drive a 2nd hand 325i from '02)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

spockety wrote:
    Yeah but you could have had a '02 Toyota Avensis for that money you flaming idiot!!!! :rolleyes:
    Calling someone is an idiot is against the rules!
    Secondly, why have an avensis which granted is a nice car, over a fully loaded E39 which was consistently voted the best car in its class until the latest E class came out - a period of something like 6 years.

edit: post about sarcasm noted

• Advertisement

spockety wrote:
    I was being sarcastic.. (I drive a 2nd hand 325i from '02)

OOOOoooooohhhhhh - i read it fast and it didnt seem sarcastic - lol - I was scratching my head, saying who wants a 02 Avensis! LOL (*not that theres anything wrong with an Avensis - just not for a 24 year old*)

Anyways - suppose we'd better get back on topic!

I think a drive in a 6cyl changes the OP mind !!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 65,353 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Drove an E39 for the first time this week. It was only a '00 base Irish spec 2.0l but driving dynamics were unbelievable. Very impressive indeed

One owner, full SH, 96k. Price €9k plus an old Punto with problems :D

unkel wrote:
    Drove an E39 for the first time this week. It was only a '00 base Irish spec 2.0l but driving dynamics were unbelievable. Very impressive indeed

One owner, full SH, 96k. Price €9k plus an old Punto with problems :D
    Yeah the E39 has great driving dynamics - i loved the look of the car when i viewed it, but when i drove it - i just had to have it!

So ya considering buying one?? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

spockety wrote:

I would rather have a 1996 e39 than a 2002 Avensis.
    My old man has a 2002 Avensis, what a boring car. Even he hates it! He needs it for work though, however looking at a "flaming idiot" type car for the weekends, probably black, he can't decide whether to go metallic black or just plain black though. :D

Incidently mine is a sapphire black metallic 525i, I've also owned a Shwarz Black (non metallic black). To me they look the same from a distance, you do notice it up close though, maybe inwards of 15 feet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

Curran wrote:
    Agreed - i bought a 96 523i with 90k, high spec (with all the luxury ya need ;) ) and for 1/3 the price of a new Golf :D

Here she is.....
    forrestmotors5Sil911.jpg
    forrestmotors5Sil912.jpg

Lovely car Curran. I had an 02 530d for two years - my last BMW and it was great. But they look better with the M spec like yours. Also leather seats and an auto are a must as I found out the hard way when trying to sell mine.

This 5 series BMW is my view the last great car they produced. If only they had not brought out the new model I would still probably have mine. I was worried about depreciation at the time. I would consider another 530d of this series if I found a nice low mileage one - not so easy of course.

The new 5 series is not bad but those slab sided doors just detract from the overall cars grace. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Lovely car Curran. I had an 02 530d for two years - my last BMW and it was great. But they look better with the M spec like yours. Also leather seats and an auto are a must as I found out the hard way when trying to sell mine.

This 5 series BMW is my view the last great car they produced.

Cheers Alfasudcrasy!

Mine was a very basic model but was converted to M-Tech kit, angel eye lights, leather seats, lowered, 18" wheels, but not an Auto box - wasnt really worried about selling it - not sure that I ever will - think its going to be a classic - so if i do want a new car, i just garage it and buy a different one outright!
    I would consider another 530d of this series if I found a nice low mileage one - not so easy of course.
    Wait a few weeks - Cyrus might be changing his soon :p I dont post much, but i do read the threads most days and he seems to chagne every few months - am i right Cyrus

* He mightnt change this one for a while, shes a beauty, and he seems to like it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Elessar

I saw that car a few times curran when I was driving past the dealers on the forest road. Looks nice, a friend of mine was interested in it but looks like you beat him to it.

I'm waiting on an inspection for the 01 320 coupe I talked about earlier in the thread. All but have my mind made up, still getting niggling thoughts though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Curran wrote:
    Wait a few weeks - Cyrus might be changing his soon :p I dont post much, but i do read the threads most days and he seems to chagne every few months - am i right Cyrus
    Cyrus' is a 530i and not a 530d but you are right he does change is car very often! :)

Elessar wrote:
    I saw that car a few times curran when I was driving past the dealers on the forest road. Looks nice, a friend of mine was interested in it but looks like you beat him to it.

I'm waiting on an inspection for the 01 320 coupe I talked about earlier in the thread. All but have my mind made up, still getting niggling thoughts though.

Ah your mate was way too slow - i bought on impluse -which i know you should never do - but it was owned by the Mechanic who onwed the place so i jumped at it and did a deal the day I viewed it - glad i did, cos id have been sick if your mate got it before me :p

After i did the deal - i had to wait a few days cos the handbrake cable was going and he was waiting for the part to come in to fit it - i had those niggling thoughts too - but they are a distant memory - i love it :D

Has the 320 got the M-Tech kit ?? Sweet motor if it has!! Was lookin around at 3 Series' myself but couldnt afford it, so when i seen all the work already done on the car, even though it was a '96, the price was right and i had to have it!

Curran wrote:
    So ya considering buying one?? :p

I already did (consider buying one)! About 3.5 years ago when I was into the market for a new car I was planning on buying a 523/528 E39 (natural successor to my previous car, a 530 V8 E34). I kept an open mind about the old 7-series (E38) though and that's what I bought!

I'd love to drive an E39 with the M62 V8 that's in my current car and then preferably the 4.4 version. Or an M5 of course :D

New 7-series (E65) are still mad money (even more than a brand new Toyota Avensis :eek: :D), so if my car gave the ghost today, I'd probably either get an E39 540 or an E38 740. Leaning towards the 5-series!

fletch wrote:
    Cyrus' is a 530i and not a 530d but you are right he does change is car very often! :)

Damn i thought it was a 530d - even sweeter that its a 530i :eek:

There ya go Alfasudcrazy - make him an offer - ya never know - he might want a 7 Series now he's had the 5 Series for more than a month!!! :D

unkel wrote:
    I'd love to drive an E39 with the M62 V8 that's in my current car and then preferably the 4.4 version. Or an M5 of course :D

My dads next door neighbour had a 740i - was also a 4.4 -presumably with that engine - jezz the sound of it :eek:
    A 540 would be the dogs - the 523i will have to do me for a while - yeah know 24 year old - insurance w/ 2 points :mad: - petrol, tax, servicing etc etc, mortgage, etc etc, drinking habit etc, etc....so maybe in a few years when i save the pennies! ;)

ned78 wrote:
    Yes they do! One of my Colleagues recently bought a 1997 840ci. What a car!

Future classic no doubt. Nice engine too :D

One for you, ned. I know that engine went into the top of the range Range Rover and perhaps some other cars. I vaguely remember it going into some hand built British sportscar too?
    I had an 02 530d for two years - my last BMW and it was great

Ah I remember now! How about a 159 / brera 2.4 diesel. Default 200BHP before you let someone fiddle with the software :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

ned78 wrote:
    The OP thought "For a 170bph car it did not give you that kick in the back I used to get when I put my foot down in my 150bph Alfa GT diesel for instance". He mentions nothing about throttle response. I was making an observation that naturally, the Diesel would feel more urgent under acceleration.

Actually, in the compound where we keep our cars, Ford also keep their cars. The ST is not that comfortable at all. And in keeping with the OP's post, he was comparing what is obviously an M Sport model, with something as roly poly as a Landcruiser, of course there will be differences. I have little experience with the Golf GTi in it's current guise.

It's also exceptionally difficult to quote your posts when you build your responses into my quote. I have to manually copy and paste them into a reply.

ST is grand and comfortable for a sports model. I should now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

unkel wrote:
    I already did (consider buying one)! About 3.5 years ago when I was into the market for a new car I was planning on buying a 523/528 E39 (natural successor to my previous car, a 530 V8 E34). I kept an open mind about the old 7-series (E38) though and that's what I bought!

New 7-series (E65) are still mad money (even more than a brand new Toyota Avensis :eek: :D), so if my car gave the ghost today, I'd probably either get an E39 540 or an E38 740. Leaning towards the 5-series!

Yeah, your're right. You should go for the E39. Though I read in plenty of places on the internet that the 540i is unreliable. I was meant to buy a 7 a few weeks ago, but it fell through and I got a E39 523i instead. I'm happy with it for now. It's much more reliable than my previous 3 e36 3 series. I'd stick to the e38 rather than the e65 new 7 series. My da gets them and they're not half as nice as the old 7 series. They're just big floating barges.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,192 ✭✭✭MarkN

ST is grand and comfortable for a sports model. I should now.

In fairness Ned, Henry has owned an ST, I've owned two MKV GTIs, they're very comfortable cars for what they are.

It's been well publicised that BMWs with run flats are not the most comfortable cars to drive around in.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭38psi

You also have to remember the E92 coupe now come fitted with run flat tyres which tend to give a harsher ride . Did you try to adjust the seat bolsters. On my car they can be adjusted in - out,I am not the smallest person around and I find the seat great. I think if you get the chance to testdrive a 325,330 or 335i you will be amazed also why not consider the diesel versions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

MarkN wrote:
    In fairness Ned, Henry has owned an ST, I've owned two MKV GTIs, they're very comfortable cars for what they are.

It's been well publicised that BMWs with run flats are not the most comfortable cars to drive around in.

Yeah, I can vouch the GTI on 18's is reasonably comfortable (and its got great seats) - much more compliant than Audi's "sport" suspension for sure.

Curran wrote:
    Damn i thought it was a 530d - even sweeter that its a 530i :eek:

There ya go Alfasudcrazy - make him an offer - ya never know - he might want a 7 Series now he's had the 5 Series for more than a month!!! :D

530d never entered my mind, love petrol good ness ;)

and yes i do chop and change a lot (but only every 9 mths or so :D )

but in 9 months time keep an eye out for a mint imola red 530i with low miles ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

unkel wrote:
    Future classic no doubt. Nice engine too :D

One for you, ned. I know that engine went into the top of the range Range Rover and perhaps some other cars. I vaguely remember it going into some hand built British sportscar too?
    Morgan Aero 8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

I am actually waiting in the long grass for 535d used prices to drop to an affordable level. This is one cracker of a car - from what I have read. :o

I could live with the slabby doors and the non wrap around dash for the thrill of driving one of those every day.:cool:

By the way the test 320i was on big wheels with very low profile tyres so that may have been the problem. I know it went into one pot hole and the shudder through the car was frightening.
    Also I was really only passing some free time taking the car for a spin. Somehow there is something sad about a 48 year old driving a coupe so perhaps I am for once acting my age and sticking with something more appropriate. :o

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=729138

if you are looking at the e60 it has to be the m sport version! makes the car look so much better!

I am actually waiting in the long grass for 535d used prices to drop to an affordable level

Ah! :)

This one's cheaper at €48k, but way overpriced imho. Newish BMW diesels hold their value too well. Good for the first buyer, not good for the second buyer...
    TomMc wrote:
    Morgan Aero 8

That's the one! Thanks TomMc

there is something sad about a 48 year old driving a coupe so perhaps I am for once acting my age and sticking with something more appropriate. :o

Did someone mention that the Avensis is a good buy?? LOL

Have to agree with Cyrus - i was going to say the only new 5 series that looks good is the M5 - but the one spotted by unkel is nice too :p

What about something like this in the mean time???

687340_20070515100509_2.jpg

528i Aplina Rep.
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=687340

• Advertisement

Just looking at that Alpina Rep a lil more closely - he did a DIY job on the window tints and made a balls of it!! :rolleyes:

Advertisement