Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW 320 i coupe test drive.

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

I'd love to drive an E39 with the M62 V8 that's in my current car and then preferably the 4.4 version. Or an M5 of course

Ive driven a few over here. Nice when mixed with the 6 speed. Pre-VANOS seems to be a bit more responsive on the bottom end. Nice car overall, but not as quick as you would expect, 280BHP and a fair bit of weight. Great comfort/peformance balance though.

Never got around to the E38 in the end, although at this stage im a feckin expert on them! I got pi$$ed off trying to find a good example. Idiot dealers expecting me to pay 3-4K more than ebay prices when the service history is shredded. No thanks.

Rather than get a loan, I'm saving for a couple more months and it will either be an E34 M5 or an E39 540/6. I like the idea of putting a supercharger on the 540 though :) Ill decide when I drive an E34 M5, id like to see if its more to my liking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

TomMc wrote:
    Morgan Aero 8

I think it's the Ascari Ecosse he's on about. Aero 8 uses it too.

http://www.exoticcarsite.com/pages/contents/ascari.htm

Nice pics from factory:

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=69992

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

Cyrus wrote:
    not everyone who has a bmw on boards bought a new one :rolleyes:

they make wonderful second hand buys, i have a 01 530i with 50,000 miles and every extra you can get for less than the price of a new 1.4 litre base golf.

Agree there, I've a '96 328i coming up to 135,000 miles & it's going strong, lovely car to drive. Would like to move on to a 330i (or 330d) at some stage but the 328i probably isn't worth very much at this stage so am going to hold onto it for another few years or until I see a bargain I can't resist somewhere ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭maidhc

unkel wrote:
    With respect, you have 3.5k posts on boards, mainly in the motoring section and you don't care about great cars, any great car? Just because you'll never be able to afford a new one of them? The mind boggles... :confused:

I never said I will never be able to afford a new one, just how right now the top end of BMWs range is of no interest to me.

My parents do about 25k miles a year so buying a s/h 3.0L petrol would not be a wise suggestion. They want a car that is reasonably efficient, not too expensive, but they want something that they feel is giving them some value for their money (although not so far as an Octavia!). So in short for the length of time they are looking at diesel car in the 30-50k price range I will find that more interesting than looking in awe at an M5 like a child playing top trumps!

Calling the 320i a no compromises car is almost as amusing as calling a Ford fiesta one. It is a pretty standard family saloon missing its back doors! The M3 is a quicker version, but is still something that can be run as a daily driver... so hardly a "no compromises" car in the vein of a Caterham or something (and probably less fun to drive too!).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,192 ✭✭✭MarkN

Is this thread about a 320 i coupe or should the OP change the title to "BMW cars"? Just a suggestion ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Curran wrote:
    Anyways - suppose we'd better get back on topic!

I think a drive in a 6cyl changes the OP mind !!! :D

I tried to get it back on topic, in vain mind you :p went off topic again myself a few minutes later :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 65,353 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I think it's the Ascari Ecosse he's on about

Yeah, that's the one. Fantastic car - thanks for the links, rebel.ranter :)
    it will either be an E34 M5 or an E39 540/6

The E34 M5 is a class act. Probably a more "involving" drive compared to an E39 540
    I read in plenty of places on the internet that the 540i is unreliable

Eh? The M62 has a good reputation for reliability, helped by the "lazy V8" character. They should be good for 400,000 km without major hassle
    MarkN wrote:
    Is this thread about a 320 i coupe or should the OP change the title to "BMW cars"? Just a suggestion ;)
    Curran wrote:
    I tried to get it back on topic, in vain mind you :p went off topic again myself a few minutes later :rolleyes:

O/T: There's a good bit of tolerance in general in this section for threads going O/T ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

MarkN wrote:

I think the whole boy racer brigade has damaged the 3 series coupe image. They are now driving around and modding 5 year old examples. Tends to tarnish the brand a la honda civic.

Lets face it a lot of the attraction of BMW's is (was?) the snobbery factor. They were even when I bought mine new in 1998 a pretty exclusive car - the coupe that is but now they are ten a penny. :rolleyes:

If I really wanted another coupe I think I would get another new Alfa Gt diesel or perhaps an early 90's Mercedes 230CE or 320CE - always loved those cars and they have aged gracefully. :cool:

This seems good value for €10,000 - and its €50,000 cheaper than a new BMW coupe.

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carid=699474

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Lads, lets give up - we did our best, trying to sell the larger BMW's to him, its just not going to happen - he's having a mid life crisis :p - young at heart (wanting a coupe) and like an old man (so confused) :D

Buy an Octavia - they've a big boot :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 65,353 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

• Advertisement
Advertisement