Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will carpet help with heat insulation?

Options
  • 12-07-2007 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭

I'm in a real quandry over the above. The room in question is over a garage and has three external walls and is generally the coldest room in the house. The floor cavity beneath it (between the room floor and the garage ceiling) was not insulated previously but now it has been with 200mm rockwool. This has alleviated the cold problem to some extent but it is still cooler than the other rooms.

I now intend to use it as a games room with a slate bed snooker table and I'm concerned that it won't be warm enough to use during the winter so I'm upgrading the radiators to higher output ones

Also, I'm considering carpeting the room with a Hyperactive Tredaire underlay which is 11mm thick and then wool carpet on top. The underlay bumph states that it offers good heat insulation but the total cost of the carpet would be €1800.

The existing floor is solid pine and in good condition and it seems a shame/waste to carpet over it. I have to decide now because once the snooker table is in-situ it can't be moved.

It's a really nice carpet with a warm feel but I don't want to buy a carpet for little benefit. The dilemma is simply that if I get the carpet and it doesn't help I will have wasted €1800 or if I don't and find it just too cold over the winter, it will be too late to fit a carpet.

Any experience/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,163 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Yes, it will help to a point, but don't forget that the lower percentage of heat loss is through the floor, the most goes through the walls and ceiling.

I thought it was 15% through the floor, 25% through the roof and 35 through the walls, but I'm off as this doesn't add up to 100%...

What age is the house? Are the walls insulated? Can the ceiling/roof insulation be improved? Is there double-glazing fitted?

If the walls aren't insulated, you could consider dry-lining the internal walls with insulation backed plaster board, but this will incur the cost of a builder (if you don't DIY...) and a plasterer. Ontop of this, redecoration will be required.

Ah yes - here we are:

15% through the floor,
    25% through the roof,
    35% through the walls,
    15% through drafts,
    10% through windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Yorky

What age is the house? Are the walls insulated? Can the ceiling/roof insulation be improved? Is there double-glazing fitted?

Under two years, Yes with blown cavity fill, 250mm of insulation already there, Yes

If you've done all this work - then that's excellent! It's about the best you could do.
    The carpet will help make the room feel warmer in some ways, but I don't think it will make a huge difference to the heat retention though.
    I'd go without and spend the €1800 on a TV...!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

If you are spending money on a proper slate snookertable then I would invest in getting a heater for it that should be placed underneath it.
    Im sure the supplier can show you one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Hi,

The room in question will certainly be cooler than other upstairs rooms in your house as the room below it is not heated. All the upstairs of your house receives a certain amount of heat from downstairs, and your over garage room does not have this.

How is this room accessed? Is it via an open stairway from the garage or one of those foldy uppy attic ladders?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Yorky

How is this room accessed? Is it via an open stairway from the garage or one of those foldy uppy attic ladders?

The room is accessed from the landing as per the other upstairs rooms. The only difference is that the other rooms have habitable rooms beneath them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Have you considered an electric heating mat, might be nice to have around the table

Advertisement