Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

MPH to KM/H

Options
  • 12-07-2007 11:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭

how easy/ expensive is it to change the speedometer on a car from a large mph and small kph display to a large kph display(either with a small mph or only kph)?

not thinking any car specifically but presumably this would require re calibration of the speed needle as well as replacing the clock.

it seems that on a number of cars i've driven (since i got my full licence i can drive any car, its great for trying them) the KPH display is very small or close together or both.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,353 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Would you not just familiarise yourself with the new metric system as in km/h? It's not that hard really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Kadeshh

unkel wrote:
    Would you not just familiarise yourself with the new metric system as in km/h? It's not that hard really.

i've always been a KPH/ km/h kinda guy:D
    just curious thats all

my current car has mph as main guage but still has a fairly large km/h secondary, i just find on a few cars the km/h guage is so small it makes it difficult to tell with just a quick glance what speed you are doing

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

You only need to hold 6 figures in your head:
    in a 30km/h zone, do 15 mph
    in a 50km/h zone, do 30 mph
    in a 60km/h zone, do 35 mph
    in an 80km/h zone, do 50 mph
    in a 100km/h zone, do 60 mph
    in a 120km/h zone, do 75 mph
    and you should be on or slightly under the limits

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Check with manufacturer, maybe they can give you a new face and you can change it yourself?*

*Might not be possible

Yakuza wrote:

to be a bit blunt, its not that i dont know the above or cant convert, i'm just wondering if its possibly to do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,353 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Kadeshh wrote:
    to be a bit blunt, its not that i dont know the above or cant convert, i'm just wondering if its possibly to do

In your original post, you were giving out that the "KPH" display is small. So people will deduct from that, that you can read the MPH figure, but you can't read the smaller km/h figure and that obviously you cannot work out the conversion in your head. To be blunt ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

Yakuza wrote:

if you can master that.. why not unplug the speedo and convert the (rpm x "current gear ratio") to k/m :D *

* = if ya do :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

Kadeshh wrote:
    how easy/ expensive is it to change the speedometer on a car from a large mph and small kph display to a large kph display(either with a small mph or only kph)?

not thinking any car specifically but presumably this would require re calibration of the speed needle as well as replacing the clock.

it seems that on a number of cars i've driven (since i got my full licence i can drive any car, its great for trying them) the KPH display is very small or close together or both.

i got that usb cable for all vw cars for ~30e the other day, you can do it with your laptop. sold the cable already

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

After a while you should have a good idea of your speed from the direction of the needle rather than focusing in on the individual numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

If you just buy a set of clocks or even just the inserts from a European company. They have always had km/h clocks. Look up some German breakers yard. I don't think the needle will need to be recalibrated, I think you'll fiond that the 60MPH mark & 100km/h mark will be in approx the same area with the switch to new dials.

Boy racers are always buying new clock faces; white, yellow & reds ones, you could probably get a km/h set for your car!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

The needle will hit 100kph mark at the same spot no matter what side of the dial shows kph. Maybe if you can't read it you should just get your eyes checked?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

The needle will hit 100kph mark at the same spot no matter what side of the dial shows kph. Maybe if you can't read it you should just get your eyes checked?

lol, harsh

I think he just wants kph dials cause they look better/newer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

To actually answer the OP's question:

Yes, it can be done on most cars. It simply involves swapping the card with the figures on it, no re-calibration required as the new cards will have the Km/H positions lined up correctly.

How difficult or costly depends on the manufacturer, and you always run the risk of ending up with a rattly dashboard.

Changing the odometer is more sifficult and is probably better to leave it alone.

prospect wrote:
    To actually answer the OP's question:

Yes, it can be done on most cars. It simply involves swapping the card with the figures on it, no re-calibration required as the new cards will have the Km/H positions lined up correctly.

How difficult or costly depends on the manufacturer, and you always run the risk of ending up with a rattly dashboard.

Changing the odometer is more sifficult and is probably better to leave it alone.

Thank you. thats all i wanted to know.

Cion&#225 wrote: »
    lol, harsh

I think he just wants kph dials cause they look better/newer

yeah pretty much:)

Advertisement